Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is NBC TRYing to piss of thier timeshifting viewers?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-03, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Their Thursday night lineup consistantly moves the starting and ending times of their show by 1-5 minutes, so I often miss part of it. I don't even watch any of the shows anymore cause its so frustrating putting 20 minutes of my time into a show only to miss the kicker.
Old 11-06-03, 02:08 AM

Actually, they probably are. They want you to watch it live, and to see the ads, so if they constanly shift their times, they hope people will get frustrated enough to watch the NBC show live and tape whatever else.

This is all a just a guess mind you.
Old 11-06-03, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Frustrating me is not going to make me watch their show live. It will make me skip their shows completely. I don't reward inconvenience with viewership, and I would hope that other people won't either.
Old 11-06-03, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm actually down to only two NBC shows per week and usually pad each by a couple minutes on each end.
Old 11-06-03, 06:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Is NBC TRYing to piss of thier timeshifting viewers?

Originally posted by RoQuEr
Their Thursday night lineup consistantly moves the starting and ending times of their show by 1-5 minutes, so I often miss part of it. I don't even watch any of the shows anymore cause its so frustrating putting 20 minutes of my time into a show only to miss the kicker.
Do you really think they care how much they tick off a select number of viewers compared to the amount of extra money they get from the additional number of advertising minutes they are able to cram into a 22 min episode of Friends? If anything they're forcing people to WATCH instead of recording the programming - making advertisers even MORE happy!

I suspect now that Coupling is gone, you should expect Friends, Scrubs and Will & Grace to be "super-sized"* into filling 2 hours quite frequently.

*Super-sized = make a 22-24 min episode of Friends take almost 45 min to air by pumping in a ton of lucrative ad time. Its the last season so BLEED it dry!

Last edited by rfduncan; 11-06-03 at 06:50 AM.
Old 11-06-03, 07:42 AM

Since most of us time shifters skip the commercials anyway - I'm sure they don't care.
Old 11-06-03, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

NBC does not respect Scrubs enough to Supersize it, even though it is by far the best comedy that they have right now. For example, there is a new episode on tonight, but many listings have it not being on tonight at all. Usually it is the other way around, when they advertise it but don't show it...

Back to the topic, I tape everything anyway, so it doesn't really matter to me, but it is a bit of a pissoff when I actually try to watch stuff when it is originally aired.
Old 11-06-03, 09:17 AM
Banned

Do what I do...watch CBS Thursday nights

FS
Old 11-06-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by DVDsucker
Since most of us time shifters skip the commercials anyway - I'm sure they don't care.
Exactly. If you aren't watching the commercials then you don't count. Then again, if you don't have a Neilsen box, or however they do those things, you really don't count anyway.
Old 11-06-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Tivo, baby, Tivo!
Old 11-06-03, 10:40 AM

Sorry huzefa, but this is a problem for TiVo as well.

I have a season passes for CSI at 8 and ER at 9. But now ER starts at 8:59 so they conflict. There is no option to end a recording early so I have to manually stop or start one of them to get both. If I wanted to watch live TV, I wouldn't have the TiVo.

Since NBC is a partner with TiVo, it seems one hand does not know what the other is doing.
Old 11-06-03, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

DirecTivo, baby, DirecTivo!
Old 11-06-03, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Do I what I do - don't watch Must See TV anymore. This was one of the reasons I pretty much gave up on Friends (of course it also helps that it sucks now).

I now record the 3-hour CBS block on one Replay. And thanks to FOX now encoring The O.C. (the one smart move that they have made this season), I record Tru Calling and The O.C. on another Replay.
Old 11-06-03, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LilDears

I have a season passes for CSI at 8 and ER at 9. But now ER starts at 8:59 so they conflict. There is no option to end a recording early so I have to manually stop or start one of them to get both. If I wanted to watch live TV, I wouldn't have the TiVo.

Since NBC is a partner with TiVo, it seems one hand does not know what the other is doing.
Well, I know that back before the beginning of this season, I had a message on my Tivo that explained how to handle the NBC recording times.
Old 11-06-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by LilDears

I'm confused. Are you saying you PHYSICALLY need to be there to start/stop your tivo?

Worst case, couldn't you just cancel your ER season pass and set a repeating manual recording for ER (i.e. record by date/channel) starting at 9 (central time zone, eh?) and ending at 10? <small>That is until they implement some sort of 'record partials of lower priority conflicted items' method which would either end your CSI one minute early or start your ER one minute late automatically depending on which was lower on your priority list, which may never happen, btw.</small>

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 11-06-03 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-06-03, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bad Tivo, bad! I thought it could handle these probs. It doesn't matter much to me anyway, since I end up recording everything on NBC from 7 to 9. So I don't miss anything.
Old 11-06-03, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by huzefa
Bad Tivo, bad! I thought it could handle these probs.
Hey, don't blame TiVo! When there's two things on at the same time, how is it supposed to use one tuner to record both shows? Or three things and two tuners for us lucky DirecTiVo people. It's NBC's fault for starting early and/or running over. That's like calling your car bad because it can't fly.
Old 11-06-03, 12:38 PM

Originally posted by nevermind
DirecTivo, baby, DirecTivo!

Chris
Old 11-06-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Since I have 3 ReplayTVs, I try to each one dedicated to a certain "main" channel so I don't get bit by NBC's early starts if I have another show on a different channel that might cause a perceived scheduling conflict in the programming guide for the ReplayTV. I try, anyways.