DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Friends - 10/30 (with Christina Applegate) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/327283-friends-10-30-christina-applegate.html)

Charlie Goose 10-31-03 01:27 AM

Friends - 10/30 (with Christina Applegate)

Well, that was not good. Rachel's sister was so completely annoying and impossibly stupid. Annoying to other characters can be okay, annoying to the audience is never okay.

http://charliegoose.homestead.com/files/goose.jpg Honk!

MrX 10-31-03 01:47 AM

Baby Kangaroo Tribbiani:lol:

I didn't like Christina Applegates character last time she was on and my opinion hasn't changed.

I guess the comment about Jill means Reese Witherspoon isn't coming back

immortal_zeus 10-31-03 02:30 AM

It took 40 minutes to get to the funniest part of the show....during the ending credits when Christina Aguilera was calling out to "Ross" at the falafel cart. :lol:

http://www.ameritech.net/users/dvdtalk/rome.gif

the narrator 10-31-03 04:37 AM

not a very good episode tonight....i normally can at least half enjoy the show, but this was just bad

Chew 10-31-03 05:59 AM

Originally posted by MrX
I didn't like Christina Applegates character last time she was on and my opinion hasn't changed.
Didn't she win an Emmy for that?

More of the same wins her another, I guess. :(

B.A. 10-31-03 06:49 AM

Re: Friends - 10/30 (with Christina Applegate)

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Well, that was not good. Rachel's sister was so completely annoying and impossibly stupid. Annoying to other characters can be okay, annoying to the audience is never okay.
You hit the nail on the head.

rfduncan 10-31-03 07:30 AM

Originally posted by immortal_zeus
It took 40 minutes to get to the funniest part of the show....during the ending credits when Christina Aguilera was calling out to "Ross" at the falafel cart.
What episode were YOU watching? MTV?

BTW you are correct, Chew, Applegate did win an Emmy for that role.

I thought it was an okay episode. If anything, as usual it was set up as a "sweeps" type thing - hence the empty guest-star appearance, the EXTRA LARGE episode and finally the MAIN reason for the episode - Mike and Phoebe getting engaged. Compared to last week's where they all were pretty much in the storyline, other lamer episodes like this one seem even more subpar. :(

immortal_zeus 10-31-03 07:35 AM

Originally posted by rfduncan
What episode were YOU watching? MTV?

BTW you are correct, Chew, Applegate did win an Emmy for that role.

I thought it was an okay episode. If anything, as usual it was set up as a "sweeps" type thing - hence the empty guest-star appearance, the EXTRA LARGE episode and finally the MAIN reason for the episode - Mike and Phoebe getting engaged. Compared to last week's where they all were pretty much in the storyline, other lamer episodes like this one seem even more subpar. :(

:lol: Oops, I meant Christina Applegate, of course. :D It would've been more interesting with Aguilera, though. :p

http://www.ameritech.net/users/dvdtalk/rome.gif

rfduncan 10-31-03 08:05 AM

ONE OTHER INTERESTING THING TO NOTE -

I guess we have NOT seen the last of Charlie since she did make a brief appearance in the beginning of the episode. If she has stuck around after "drunk Ross", I wonder what will ultimately be the straw that breaks the camel's back....

Meteu185 10-31-03 08:12 AM

Turned it off after 20 minutes. I'm just ready for May to watch the final episode - hopefully it at least will be good enough to be considered a "Friends" epsiode.

Geofferson 10-31-03 09:16 AM

Wasn't that impressed with this episode. Joey's letter-writing storyline was probably all that generated a few chuckles from me.

Roto 10-31-03 09:55 AM

I thought it was a decent episode except for the proposal scenes. I actually didn't mind Christina Applegate's character this time even though I remember I couldn't stand her the first time. It must've been the falafel gag. Ross hasn't actually been nearly as obnoxious this season. They've actually given him a few funny lines.

hgar78 10-31-03 09:55 AM

i'm surprised. i really enjoyed the episode last night! the sister character was pretty irritating but the rest was enjoyable!

tofu 10-31-03 10:11 AM

Originally posted by hgar78
i'm surprised. i really enjoyed the episode last night! the sister character was pretty irritating but the rest was enjoyable!
Joey summed it up pretty well with his line "She's the hottest part that I've ever hated" or something like that

Decent episode. Nice engagement for Phoebe to Noballs.

huzefa 10-31-03 10:40 AM

This was a good episode; almost the best new one I can think of right now. Christina Applegate was annoying, but not too much. Ross and Joey were in top form yesterday.

Kal-El 10-31-03 11:13 AM

I enjoyed it albeit for a few things:

- the writers really have to re-watch some of the old episodes. That comment about how Chandler didn't like doing "it" in public places is soooo inconsistent. There is one episode in particular where the end-credit sequence was him and Monica coming out of Central Perk's restrooms after obviously having bumped uglies. When Rachel gave birth, they did it in the supply room in the hospital. And there was another episode where he was begging Monica to do it on the balcony.

- Christina Applegate's character was funny, but it was too derivative of Karen Walker for me. The hair(although diff color), the hand gestures, the floopy attitude, etc.

Cheddarmuff 10-31-03 11:46 AM

A brief chuckle...when Joey was packing up Rachel's sister and Rachel inquired as to what was taking so long....Joey comes back with "She's got a lot of stuff" :lol:

Jonny2k1 10-31-03 01:50 PM

I liked this episode quite a bit. It's true that Christina Applegate's character was annoying, but that's precisely what we were supposed to think.

The one part I didn't get was when the crowd at the Knick's game starting booing Phoebe and Mike.

WarriorPrincess 10-31-03 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Cheddarmuff
A brief chuckle...when Joey was packing up Rachel's sister and Rachel inquired as to what was taking so long....Joey comes back with "She's got a lot of stuff" :lol:
That was the only part that made me laugh, too. Oh, and Joey yelling out "all right!" or some such happy exclamation when Rachel said her sister was leaving. :)

I completely agree with Charlie Goose - annoying to the audience is a BAD thing. And I was so annoyed and even angered by her actions and behavior that I couldn't enjoy anything about the episode except the thought of her leaving. Forever.

Roto 10-31-03 03:03 PM

Originally posted by Jonny2k1

The one part I didn't get was when the crowd at the Knick's game starting booing Phoebe and Mike.

That's exactly why I didn't like the proposal scenes. Since when is it wrong for a woman to propose? They yell at him that he has no balls because she propsed to him? That was just incredibly stupid.

Charlie Goose 10-31-03 07:22 PM

Originally posted by Roto
That's exactly why I didn't like the proposal scenes. Since when is it wrong for a woman to propose? They yell at him that he has no balls because she propsed to him? That was just incredibly stupid.
It's New York City. They would've booed him out of the building if they didn't like the shirt he was wearing.

http://charliegoose.homestead.com/files/goose.jpg Honk!

Michael Corvin 11-01-03 07:56 AM

I thought it was the best episode this season. Joey and Ross were on their game. Phoebe & Mike was a great plotline. Yes CA was annoying. She was supposed to be so we feel Rachel, Ross' and Joey's pain.

I liked it. :up:

Palaver 11-01-03 08:04 AM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
I thought it was the best episode this season. Joey and Ross were on their game. Phoebe & Mike was a great plotline. Yes CA was annoying. She was supposed to be so we feel Rachel, Ross' and Joey's pain.

I liked it. :up:

I agree. I thought it was pretty good. And I'd never thought I'd say this, but I liked the fact that it was SUPER-SIZED. It seemed to give the show a nice relaxed pace to set up the jokes. Instead churning out silly punch line after silly punch line.

Patman 11-01-03 09:52 AM

The guys were in good form, the girls were not as funny.

movieking 11-01-03 12:44 PM

I thought that this was the worst show of the season. If earlier episodes of the series were like this, I really doubt that it would have grown to be what it has...