DVD Reviews | Theatrical Reviews | Price Search Buy Stuff Here
DVD Talk
DVD Reviews DVD Talk Headlines HD Reviews

Add to My Yahoo! - RSS 2.0 - RSS 2.0 - DVD Talk Podcast RSS -

Go Back   DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 11-20-03, 11:11 PM   #51
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Well, I must say I found this show very disappointing overall. Way too much time spent on background and way too little on direct evidence. I think the CourtTV program shown Wednesday was far more effective and had far more depth in its approach. However, I do think the two shows complement each other and could be watched together. I would suggest the ABC show should be watched first for all its background and information about Oswald, Ruby, Garrison etc. followed by the CourtTV show which is an extremely thorough and effective examination of the forensic evidence.

The CourtTV program will be repeated (all times CST):

6pm 11/22
9pm 11/23
1am 11/24
3:30am 11/24
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French

Last edited by movielib; 02-21-07 at 12:04 AM.
Old 11-20-03, 11:13 PM   #52

I watched and really enjoyed it. Did anyone catch the link at the end to purchase the DVD? I couldn't make it out and a visit to abc.com didn't help.
Old 11-20-03, 11:14 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally posted by movielib
Well, I must say I found this show very disappointing overall. Way too much time spent on background and way too little on direct evidence. I think the Court TV program shown Wednesday was far more effective and had far more depth in its approach. However, I do think the two shows complement each other and could be watched together. I would suggest the ABC show should be watched first for all its background and information about Oswald, Ruby, Garrison etc. followed by the Court TV show which is an extremely thorough and effective examination of the forensic evidence.

The Court TV program will be repeated (all times CST):

6pm 11/22
9pm 11/23
1am 11/24
3:30am 11/24
I don't have cable, how long is the Court TV program? And can you purchase it on DVD by chance?
Old 11-20-03, 11:24 PM   #54
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by blindrocket
I watched and really enjoyed it. Did anyone catch the link at the end to purchase the DVD? I couldn't make it out and a visit to abc.com didn't help.
Here's the Link
"[It is an] absurd notion that Hillary is more legitimate because she won a game that neither candidate was playing. Both sides campaigned, strategized, and spent money to win not a popular-vote plurality but 270 electoral votes...

"We donít know who would have won the 2016... presidential race if the president was elected by popular vote because the race would have been run completely differently."

- David French
Old 11-20-03, 11:27 PM   #55
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nice piece of fiction by ABC News. They interviewed just ONE person who believed in a conspiracy. Way to be balanced.
Old 11-20-03, 11:33 PM   #56
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:
Get this instead.
http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/redir...fier=ANE070341
Old 11-20-03, 11:38 PM   #57
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
I don't have cable, how long is the SpongeBob SquarePants program? And can you purchase it on DVD by chance?
The CourtTV program is an hour. I looked but apparently they are not selling the program, at least not yet. I very much hope they make it available in the future. If I could own just one of the ABC or the CourtTV show I would choose the CourtTV program by a huge margin.

- David French

Last edited by movielib; 01-11-05 at 11:57 AM.
Old 11-20-03, 11:38 PM   #58

Thanks a lot movielib and Kal varnsen.

ABC charges $30 bucks? dang.

And I assume you are vouching for the credibility and quality of the other, Kal? It says it was aired on A & E so it sounds like good quality.
Old 11-20-03, 11:45 PM   #59
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought it was well done, but the special just shrugged off the fact that Kennedy's head seems to be hit from the front by saying 'when a person is hit, their body can move in many ways." Huh? That's it? No fancy computer model? No CSI-like re-enactment? Weak.
Old 11-20-03, 11:49 PM   #60
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quote:

And I assume you are vouching for the credibility and quality of the other, Kal? It says it was aired on A & E so it sounds like good quality.
It is pro-conspiracy and came out in 1988 I think, but it is a very good documentary. And 300 minutes for $16 is a bargain. I was very upset with the ABC program on tonight because they did not interview people on the other side.
Old 11-20-03, 11:51 PM   #61
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by madcougar
I thought it was well done, but the special just shrugged off the fact that Kennedy's head seems to be hit from the front by saying 'when a person is hit, their body can move in many ways." Huh? That's it? No fancy computer model? No CSI-like re-enactment? Weak.
As I have said, see the CourtTV show, being repeated four more times this week (see schedule in my above post). I agree that the ABC show was incredibly weak in many ways, especially given their boast about what they said they would prove. Fortunately, the CourtTV show actually accomplished what the ABC show only claimed it would do. It's a great hour of forensic evidence and state of the art reconstructions.

- David French

Last edited by movielib; 01-11-05 at 11:53 AM.
Old 11-20-03, 11:58 PM   #62

I hated the part where they kept refering to JFK the movie. They even have Oliver Stone say "I took dramatic license." It's a movie, and the quote the man says about how he's upset that the movie has brought a lot of myths and more conspiracy theories into the American bloodstream, nonsense! It's a movie, right after Stone said he took dramatic license, that's all that should've been shown about the movie, move on.

Quote:
but the special just shrugged off the fact that Kennedy's head seems to be hit from the front by saying 'when a person is hit, their body can move in many ways." Huh? That's it? No fancy computer model? No CSI-like re-enactment? Weak.
I thought the exact same thing.

SCSIMan
Old 11-21-03, 12:00 AM   #63

I won't post it here obviously, but you can see JFK's autopsy photos of his head on the internet.
Old 11-21-03, 12:03 AM   #64
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a DVDtalk review of The Men Who Killed Kennedy DVD:
http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/read.php?ID=4447
Old 11-21-03, 12:09 AM   #65
DVD Talk Hero

I have sent an email to CourtTV asking if they are going to make their program available on DVD in the future. I will post their answer when I receive it.

- David French

Last edited by movielib; 01-11-05 at 11:52 AM.
Old 11-21-03, 12:49 AM   #66
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I watched about 3/4 of this before I had to go to a concert, and they did spend way too much time on background. About the only piece of forensic evidence they showed was at the very beginning when they showed how the "magic bullet" went through Kennedy and Connolly.

I remember reading why someones head could snap back in the direction the shot came from, but I can't remember the details. What did the Court TV show say about this?

BTW, I think the fact that there is no other place that the bullet that hit Kennedy and Connoly could have come from but the school book depository is enough to show that LHO was the gunman. I just wish they had gone into more depth with evidece debunking most of the bigger arguments of the conspiracy theorists, like LHO not having time to shoot, the direction the head snaps, etc.

Brian
Old 11-21-03, 01:20 AM   #67
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by bdshort

I remember reading why someones head could snap back in the direction the shot came from, but I can't remember the details. What did the CourtTV show say about this?
Brian
1.) A forensic investigator, Dr. John Lattimer, took human skulls and filled them with animal tissue to simulate the head, presumably as closely as possible. The skull was then shot from the same angle and the same distance and in the same place as it would have been shot by Oswald. The shot forced tissue out the front and the skull went backwards. Apparently this was done many times and he said the skull went backwards every single time. We saw one example. It's pretty remarkable.

2.) The angle from the grassy knoll when Kennedy was hit was way off from being able to cause the damage the bullet actually did cause (right side of the brain destroyed, not the left). But from that angle, the bullet would have to have hit him much more on the right side than toward the front and that would have caused much more damage to the left side than was caused.

Edited for typo.

- David French

Last edited by movielib; 01-11-05 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-21-03, 01:42 AM   #68

The ABC-TV documentary is one of the best JFK assassination programs I've ever seen. (Loved those 3-D models that were utilized that enable us to circle around the car at any angle.)

There really wasn't anything "startlingly new" revealed in the ABC program (other than those very nice 3-D animations of Dealey Plaza and the limousine); but it was told with great style and class (IMO).

Although .... I would also have liked to have seen more done with regard to the 3-D model simulation(s).

There's probably no way, however, to "simulate" (via this type of 3-D animation) how a human head is going to physically react when struck by a high-velocity missile. (If there were, given the obvious amount of time and effort spent on the ABC simulation, I'm sure Mr. Myers and ABC would have presented it. For, as movielib mentioned above, there HAVE been actual tests of bullets hitting skulls, with a rear hit most of the time resulting in the skull moving toward the direction of the gun. But HOW could you do this test using computers and cartoon figures? Maybe there's a way...I don't know.)

One new tidbit of info that I gleaned from the program was when Michael Paine (Ruth Paine's husband) was interviewed. Paine tells of how Oswald showed him one of the infamous "backyard photos", which shows Lee posing with his arsenal in early 1963.

Perhaps others here had known about Paine's being aware of the photo, but I don't think I'd ever heard this before.

Of course, this was a photo that "supposedly" (according to the "CT" crowd) was faked, with Oswald's face being pasted over another body. But, if Mr. Paine is being forthright, his claim of being shown the picture by Oswald himself well before November 22nd strikes down that theory of fakery right there. For, if faked, then Oswald would have never had the photograph in his possession before the assassination. (Plus there's the fact that Marina Oswald admits herself to having taken the three photos with their own Imperial Reflex camera. With Marina's statements on this, plus Mr. Paine's comments on seeing one of them, does anyone still buy the "fakery" nonsense?)
Old 11-21-03, 01:47 AM   #69

Quote:
ABC charges $30 bucks? dang.
And don't forget the sky-high S&H of $5.95....or $13.95 S&H if you want it quicker!

$5.95 to ship one super-light video disc, which costs them $1.42 to ship (via Media Mail). I hate outrageously-high shipping charges like these.

(Glad I recorded it to DVD myself. )

Last edited by davidvp; 11-21-03 at 01:53 AM.
Old 11-21-03, 01:58 AM   #70

Quote:
I have sent an email to Court TV asking if they are going to make their program available on DVD in the future.
You might also want to check this page from time to time....to see if the JFK program shows up. (Although, from the looks of the store contents there, they seem to have virtually no DVDs available. Most everything is on VHS only right now. )
Old 11-21-03, 02:00 AM   #71
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by davidvp
And don't forget the sky-high S&H of $5.95....or $13.95 S&H if you want it quicker!

$5.95 to ship one super-light video disc, which costs them $1.42 to ship (via Media Mail). I hate outrageously-high shipping charges like these.

(Glad I recorded it to DVD myself. )
After ABC squeezes as much as they figure they can out of it, perhaps they'll put it out in general release and we'll be able to get it a lot cheaper. I hope.

david, did you see the CourtTV show? If you didn't, you really need to see one of the repeat showings of it.

- David French

Last edited by movielib; 01-11-05 at 11:47 AM.
Old 11-21-03, 02:02 AM   #72
DVD Talk Hero

Quote:
Originally posted by davidvp
You might also want to check this page from time to time....to see if the JFK program shows up. (Although, from the looks of the store contents there, they seem to have virtually no DVDs available. Most everything is on VHS only right now. )
I saw that. It's remarkable that in this day and age, they have so little on DVD. You'd think they'd have joined the 21st century by now.

- David French
Old 11-21-03, 02:11 AM   #73

Movielib .... Yes, I saw the CourtTV Special. Probably should have recorded that one too.

I've seen so many since Sunday, they're all blurring together. ..... Help me recall here: Was the CourtTV Special the one that had the marksman firing from a re-constructed "tower" (to simulate the 6th Floor "nest") into the old, decrepit-looking 1962 Lincoln (with bent hood )??

I think that was the CourtTV one, right?

Anyway, whichever one it was, yes...I kind of enjoyed that simulation (including the "lasers" and all).

But, I DID have to chuckle a wee bit when I saw that ramshackle piece of crap Lincoln they used (not that that fact makes a hill's beans worth of difference overall ).

Plus some added chuckles when the Lincoln was moving left & right, when it shouldn't have been. ... And when noting the gravel road they used to simulate the smooth, paved Elm Street! Which meant the car, and its occupants/melons, were being bounced around more than what we really saw on Elm.

However, I suppose the gravel road bumpiness might conceivably be a "trade-off" (if you will) with the fact that, during a simulation, they were unable to simulate the moving real bodies of JFK and JBC.

Perhaps they figured this rockin'-&-rollin' on a gravel strip offset the completely still melon on a stick. But that seemed far from a "perfect" re-creation of the assassination.

Anyway...the guy managed to hit the melon, usually on Shot #1.

Another somewhat interesting fact was that, during that particular simulation, the shooter found the THIRD and final shot to be the "easiest" of the lot (even though the head/melon was usually destroyed with the first shot).

Last edited by davidvp; 11-21-03 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-21-03, 02:30 AM   #74

Movielib ...... I intentionally did not watch the PBS documentary (with Jane Pauley), JFK: Breaking The News, because I heard it's coming out on DVD.

Hopefully it'll be available at mainstream e-tailers (like many other PBS programs). But it seems, right now, the only way to get that DVD is to donate
$100 to PBS-TV. No thanks.

Movielib .... Have you heard anything else about this PBS DVD? And did you watch this Jane Pauley Special? Any good?

Old 11-21-03, 02:32 AM   #75
DVD Talk Hero

No, david, none of that was in the CourtTV show. I didn't see the one you're talking about.

The CourtTV program used much of the same type of computer animation analysis as the ABC show. The three main topics it covered (very thoroughly) were the the nonmagic bullet, the head shot and the audio recording that fooled the House Select Committee in 1978.

- David French

Last edited by movielib; 01-11-05 at 11:46 AM.