DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   A Minute with Stan Hooper - 10/29 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/326998-minute-stan-hooper-10-29-a.html)

j123vt_99 10-29-03 07:35 PM

A Minute with Stan Hooper - 10/29

That's about how long I can stand this show

Jobronie 10-29-03 07:48 PM

The only thing that's missing is:

"Hi. I'm Larry. This my brother, Daryl, and this is my other brother, Daryl...."

I could deal with the show until the butler came on. Hate the butler......

j123vt_99 10-29-03 07:55 PM

agree 100%

Originally posted by Jobronie
The only thing that's missing is:

"Hi. I'm Larry. This my brother, Daryl, and this is my other brother, Daryl...."

I could deal with the show until the butler came on. Hate the butler......

Eric F 10-29-03 07:58 PM

I like it. Norm MacDonald playing the straight-man. Fred Willard and a good ensemble cast. Seems good to me.

das Monkey 10-29-03 08:38 PM

And the award for Most Annoying Use of Laugh Track of the Season goes to ... (drumroll) ...

[Norm MacDonald Voice] Note to self: I am <i>not</i> Bob Newhart. [/Norm MacDonald Voice]

I can just see the pitch for this show: [Norm MacDonald Voice] It's <i>Newhart</i> meets ...... ME! [/Norm MacDonald Voice]

All that said, there were some very funny parts, and I've shamefully had a thing for Penelope Ann Miller since <b>Adventures in Babysitting</b> (even if she looks like a freaky alien when she does photoshoots), so I guess I'll tune in again. Even if it gets better, though, I don't really see this show having legs.

das

MrX 10-29-03 10:46 PM

Other then Fred Willard this show was bad.

The butler and the cameraguy got old pretty quick. I can't imagine this show lasting very long.

Jeraden 10-29-03 11:07 PM

dammit, I didn't realize this was on tonight. I missed it. :(

PalmerJoss 10-30-03 06:10 AM

I watched it for about 5 minutes, which was 4 minutes too long. Penelope Ann Miller annoyed the shit out of me, and Norm was just dull.

bralph 10-30-03 08:23 AM

I feel ashamed....I thought it was funny

vaporware 10-30-03 02:50 PM

I thought it was funny also.

badger1997 10-31-03 05:40 AM

I just thought it was horribly unfunny. I was looking forward to this one but barely even smile watching it, let alone laughed. Maybe all the best parts were in the commercials for this or something, but the butler and the whole camera guy making out with his girlfriend to celebrate kinda got old after a second.

I loved Norm's old show and I like Norm, so maybe I will give this a couple more shows but it just seems like it is trying too hard or something. The butler was just incredibly unfunny and stupid and if that joke is going to be used in every show I just can't see watching it for very long.

Shamefully, I did enjoy the two guys who ran the diner. The few laughs the show had for me was from them, so maybe they should give them their own show and ditch the rest of it.

Lateralus42 10-31-03 09:02 AM

This reminded me of when Jerry Seinfeld tried to create a show where he gets a butler.....only this time it wasnt funny.

DRG 10-31-03 05:00 PM

I thought it was funny, but nowhere near as hilarious as Norm's old show. It's missing that mean-spirited edge I loved (which is also probably a big reason it didn't last -- that and the Friday death timeslot ot was moved to). Still, I could see this getting old REALLY quick, as this material has been stripmined.

pawdog 10-31-03 05:46 PM

The show did remind me of Newhart. But I dont think that is a bad thing. I found it very funny from the start. I think it will take a particular taste in comedy to really appreciate it. I love Norm. I just think the time slot is terrible. I have never gotten into That 70's Show, so it will be hard for me to remember to tape it as the season goes by.
I liked all of the characters and the pacing was quick. Overall it was a nice beginning with room to grow. I hope Fox gives it a chance.

movieking 11-01-03 12:50 PM

I didn't think that it was that bad, but it was not a terrific opening. I am a big Norm fan, but his TV series work has been suspect. I think that this could grow to be pretty good though, as it did have its moments.

Definitely has a Newhart feel, and I thought of the Seinfeld episode as well...

Tanaraq 11-02-03 02:54 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
And the award for Most Annoying Use of Laugh Track of the Season goes to ... (drumroll) ...

[Norm MacDonald Voice] Note to self: I am <i>not</i> Bob Newhart. [/Norm MacDonald Voice]

I can just see the pitch for this show: [Norm MacDonald Voice] It's <i>Newhart</i> meets ...... ME! [/Norm MacDonald Voice]

das

This message got more laughs out of me than the entire episode.

B.A. 11-03-03 07:12 AM

The butler got annoying fast and the camera kid and his girlfriend were overused.

About the only funny part of the show for me was when Norm found out the guys who run the diner are a married couple when they were filming his segment.

Agreed - this show did try too hard to be funny. A lot of it was forced.

Patman 11-03-03 08:29 AM

I thought it was funny, but don't know if it'll be able to sustain its viability by trading on the small-town-ness against Stan's former life in the big city.

Which Button? 11-03-03 10:54 AM

I love Norm Macdonald he is very funny. I really liked Norm and this was ok I love the Butler thats when this show was hillarious. I thought of the Seinfeld episode too.

But what is Newhart? I take it this is an old show or something because i've never heard of it.

B.A. 11-03-03 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Which Button?
But what is Newhart? I take it this is an old show or something because i've never heard of it.
Bob Newhart - television icon w/ two long-running comedies - The Bob Newhart show and Newhart.

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0083455/

http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0068049/