DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   24 "Day 3: 1:00 PM-2:00 PM" -- 10.28.2003 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/326800-24-day-3-1-00-pm-2-00-pm-10-28-2003-a.html)

Rogue588 10-28-03 10:15 PM

24 "Day 3: 1:00 PM-2:00 PM" -- 10.28.2003

Day 3: 1:00 PM-2:00 PM

Return: The third season opens three years after President Palmer's palm peril, with Jack Bauer back onboard at CTU for the latest L.A. crisis---a lethal virus. While taut situations define the series, what stands out in this commercial-free opener are the telltale tensions among the personalities. The president's impatient brother (DB Woodside) is his new chief of staff; a more mature Kim Bauer is a new CTU techie who has a strangely testy co-worker; and lone ranger Jack is now paired with an edgy new partner, Chase (James Badge Dale). Ramon: Joaquin de Almeida.
Wow did this hour fly by. Chase didn't bother me as much as he did during that 2-3 minute trailer that ran awhile back, but i'm still holding off reservations. Glad to see that red-headed guy from last season is still working for Palmer.

Oh...and one more thing...

Kim.

Working.

At.

CTU...?

-screwy-

I know many of you guys [and ladies] might be fond of her jiggling, but I constantly find myself wondering how great this show would be without her on it..

hahn 10-29-03 01:09 AM

:thumbsup:
EXCELLENT start!!! Very promising storyline. Possibly the hour I look forward to most each week (on television).

WestEndRiot 10-29-03 01:50 AM

i think this has the potential to be the best season yet and i don't understand how anyone could be disappointed with the opener. i like Chase so far and i don't think Kim at CTU is much of a stretch...people can mature a lot in 3 years, even her. i think the drug angle is the most logical route to take after an assassination attempt and then a nuclear threat and i think they are making it pretty realistic. its actually frightening that this could actually happen, a contaminated batch or batches of a narcotic released in to the market...it would be devastating and very easy to do. and the effects wouldn't be limited to those using the drug.

but i digress.

i am really looking forward to this season...seems like a very dynamic storyline.

oh and another thing...did anyone notice the Hotel Los Angeles attack listed on Jack's resume on the official site? i could be wrong but i swear that wasn't on the site during the previous seasons. if it wasn't, could this be a possible plot for the direct to dvd mini-series/movie the producers have talked about?

ZakVTA 10-29-03 03:47 AM

Originally posted by WestEndRiot
i think the drug angle is the most logical route to take after an assassination attempt and then a nuclear threat and i think they are making it pretty realistic.

I took his drug addiction as something he got while going undercover to capture Salazar.

boredsilly 10-29-03 04:06 AM

This has got to be the most nepotistic, incestuous show on the planet! Everybody is somebodies daughter, brother, wife, girlfirend, aunt, uncle, brother's friend's coworker's poolboy...you get the idea.

I have never really liked any of the storylines (save for all things Mason) out of the core story of Jack and him vs the terrorist/crisis of the week and this seasons core story looks like its really solid this year. The drug angle has a ton of promise especially since Sutherland can act turtored with the best of them. Can't wait to see how this plays out.

ENDContra 10-29-03 05:40 AM

I liked the episode alright...but definitely some things that I didnt like. I think the idea of Jack and Kate Warner getting together is too contrived...Im hoping that since Sarah Wynter was listed as a guest star this relationship wont become the focus of a subplot (although shes really hot and Id hate not seeing her every week :) ). Kim working at CTU...Im straddling the fence on this one...maybe if she was a bit further down the totem pole it would be more believeable.

So it looks like Jack is in the "big fishes" office again...so whats Tonys position? I think we all also knew Jack wouldnt get his fix at the end, mainly because we know that you cant have your hero shooting up on network TV...even if it is FOX. The whole throwing the shit around the room at the end with the "A Great Man Has Triumphed" theme going was a bit much though :).

Regardless, Im looking forward to watching my first season of 24 on a "weekly" basis :)

djones6746 10-29-03 05:51 AM

This could definitely turn out to be the best season of all three....cannot wait for next week's episode!!! :)

Chew 10-29-03 06:12 AM

Well, they found a way to make Kim even more annoying: she's "smarter" than the computer geek and wants to make sure he knows it.

Buck Turgidson 10-29-03 06:18 AM

While I like the idea of Jack having the proverbial monkey on his back, again, I have to wonder...this guy is supposedly the most ruthless and smartest drug dealer alive and yet his organization was infiltrated by a guy who has rather publicly saved the world twice. It's a stretch.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but this show is on Double Secret Probation. It needs a great season to get the taste of Season 2: Kim's Running Again out of my mouth.

Mok 10-29-03 06:59 AM

All I can say is thank god they bought back Reiko Aylesworth what a hottie.

Patman 10-29-03 07:36 AM

Okay, so:

Jack is a junkie.

Kim got a brain transplant in the past 3 years, and now has a really bad haircut (I hope we aren't subjected to this new hair-don't all day/season long).

Way too many "relationships" introduced:

Jack and Kate on the outs (probably due to his "unavailability" seen by those who go down the road of being addicted to drugs).

Kim and Chase hooking up (never a good idea to be seeing the boss's daughter if you can help it).

Tony and Michelle all hitched up and trying to make a new life in DC.

Salazar's brother all whipped by his lady.

Palmer's gonna be getting busy with Ann, his doctor (it appears). I caught the vibe in the episode.

Even Chloe and Tony's nerd will probably find a way to get their keyboards-a-bangin'.

----

But it's still better than 90% of what's on TV, so I'll be there for the next 23 hours!

Dr. Rosenrosen 10-29-03 07:46 AM

I really enjoyed the show, and don't mind the many inter-relationships of the cast members. It is contrived, but I think it adds a good layer of complexity. That said-- Palmer's long lost, never mentioned brother? Who looks nothing like him?

I compare this show to Alias, which had a similar 'time jump', and the changes made in 24 seem much more compelling.

I love that there's a big debate looming. Will Mike Novick be on Keeler's staff?

I like the Jack as junkie angle, but at the end of the episode I was almost wishing he would shoot himself up. Only because it would have completely blown me away-- how do they handle it? Now it's a bit more of the standard "Jack overcoming all" kind of thing, but still entertaining. The Jack Bauer character is tremendous as a flawed hero. He's probably the most self-destructive lead character in television. I mean, he saved the country twice, and then he volunteers to go into deep cover?

Mourn 10-29-03 07:53 AM

While I like the idea of Jack having the proverbial monkey on his back, again, I have to wonder...this guy is supposedly the most ruthless and smartest drug dealer alive and yet his organization was infiltrated by a guy who has rather publicly saved the world twice. It's a stretch.
I don't see it that way, unless Jack's face got on the air during the first season. I doubt the government would expose an agent by making him a hero, it would render him useless and put his friends and family in danger.

I do like the drug addiction angle, it would be rather unbelievable for one to go undercover with a major drug dealer and come out without an addiction.

The tatoo was a nice touch.

breaux124 10-29-03 08:03 AM

Found this site from a link on the fox 24 site
http://www.24.tvheaven.com/Ryan%27s%20Report.html

It's been up for a while, contains possible spoilers.

PalmerJoss 10-29-03 08:04 AM

I just hope that the writers don't have Jack free and clean of his addiction by the end of the season/day.

Patman 10-29-03 08:12 AM

Jack will obviously be very erratic and irrational is he has to stay clean for this day as the contagious germ warfare threat escalates. It's the writers' way to make Jack make irrational choices over the course of this day.

Rypro 525 10-29-03 08:28 AM

I really liked how they set everything up for this season very nicely and clean.

travlr 10-29-03 08:33 AM

I had my doubts going in but this season looks like it has a chance to be great. A few points that have been mentioned before. First all the relationships. Why is this a problem? This season is 3 years later and the relationships are just a way to move the characters forward and given them more life. The Jack on drugs angle was handled very well. Jack freaking out on people cause he needs a fix was great. Also the stress between Jack and Kate was played out really well. Now for Kim. I think Kim could be a really great character the writers have just done some stupid things with her. If you go back to season 1 when we first meet Kim she was beating Jack at chess. She was setup to be fairly intelligent but then she lost her Mom and stopped talking to her dad but now she has had a few years to grow and mature. As long as a rabid weasel doesn't break into CTU and chase her around or something I have no problems with her being at CTU. Lastly I think with Salazar we finally have a villian that's a match for Jack. They did a great job of setting up Salazar as a total badass. I like that this season the villian is right there from the start and shows he is a match for Jack. Bring on next week.

PalmerJoss 10-29-03 08:54 AM

I've got a ton of questions that I'm sure we will get the answers to, like will the virus storyline be the one carried throughout the entire season? The first year we had the assassination plot for the first half, then the Drazen plot the second half. The second season we had the nuke in the first half, then imminent war in the second half of the season.

Also, will Salazar be the primary villain? I wonder. I also wonder if there will be another traitor within CTU(Kim? That would be cool). Will Jack die, as some have speculated(I'm beginning to think he might)?

Patman 10-29-03 08:57 AM

Well, Chase is the obvious guy to betray both Jack and Kim.

Rypro 525 10-29-03 09:06 AM

Will Jack die, as some have speculated(I'm beginning to think he might)?

sutherland wants to but the producers don't.

das Monkey 10-29-03 09:16 AM

I haven't been too high on the other seasons, but the season permieres each kicked ass. Tonight's premiere, however, was pretty underwhelming, and felt very paint-by-numbers:

1) Insert shifty new characters to make everyone seem suspicious ... check.
2) Place Kim in laughably unrealistic scenario and beat it to death ... check.
3) Make sure everyone is either someone else's relative or lover; all coworkers must date each other ... check.

Missing, of course, are

4) Upper management makes boneheaded decisions to create false tension
5) Good guys act in conveniently stupid manner to force plot forward

I'm sure these two will be addressed in later episodes.

I tried to get pumped up about it. I tried to care. It was just more of the same ol' stuff, but not as good.

das

Jadzia 10-29-03 09:26 AM

Originally posted by Dr. Rosenrosen
That said-- Palmer's long lost, never mentioned brother? Who looks nothing like him?

But didn't you notice? He was black. :lol:

That said, I was excited to see DB Woodside on the show as I like that actor. But I did have to roll my eyes when he turned out to be Palmer's brother.

Although, thinking about it-- with all the crap that Palmer went through last season with his cabinet turning on him, I guess it makes sense that Palmer would reach out and install someone he trusts to work around him.

Rypro 525 10-29-03 09:30 AM

did jack and kate mary or see each other in between these 3 years.

Patman 10-29-03 09:30 AM

I figured that Keith would get a bump up to head of Palmer's security in 3 years (given Kim's rise in the ranks...)

:D