Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Bonus features on Buffy discs

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-03, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bonus features on Buffy discs

I search all over yesterday and couldn't find an answer to my question. I'm really wanting to avoid spoilers so when is it safe to start watching the extras on the Buffy discs? It seems like I read somewhere once that you can watch the extras on season one after you finish season four, but I can't find that information now.
Old 10-15-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I believe this is incorrect. The Seth Green commentary gives nothing away, but I seem to recall that others give elements up through the very final season away (since they're currently recording future season's commentaries and Whedon does like to detail story arcs when the start appearing). I have been avoiding them myself and will continue to do so until I own all of them.
Old 10-15-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, Season one of Buffy was released 1/15/2002 according to the information I've found. That's right in the middle of season six. And the work on it would have been done around the beginning of season six or even earlier. So it would seem you only have to wait to at least season six to watch season one. Unless I hear differently, I'll just hold off for now. It's just that I'm finding myself with no Buffy's after just finishing going through all four back to back.
Old 10-15-03, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They are being released about every six months so you don't have that long to wait (compared to The Simpsons anyway). Next two are:

Season 5 - 12/09/03
Season 6 - 07/06/04

In the meantime, you could start watching Angel since you are up to Season 4 (which crosses over to Angel Season 1).
Old 10-15-03, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Actually I'm done with season 4 (finished last night) and have a single Angel episode to go. Now I just have to decide if I want to pick up Angel season two and get started or just hold off till the beginning of December and alternate like we this this last round.

I'll probably dust off season three of Babylon 5 and finish watching that (about 1/3 through it). I know I'm risking enternal damnation for letting it collect dust in the first place, but in all fairness, over the years I've probably seen every episode a minimum of 5 times each. Between that and the DirecTiVo I got Saturday, I should be able to wait for 12/9 without too much effort. It's will be the stretch between S5 and S6 that will do me in.
Old 10-16-03, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you can wait until December 9th to get Angel Season 2, your will power is very strong indeed. I couldn't wait and I've seen them before. I think staggering the releases like this is retarded. ...but anyway, if you haven't seen them before, waiting, while not as necessary as Buffy 4 and Angel 1, is probably the best way to go.
Old 10-16-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by garmonbozia
I think staggering the releases like this is retarded.
I had to read that about three times before I got it. For some reason I thought you were saying alternating between watching episodes of Buffy and Angel was retarded!

Anyway, I couldn't agree more about staggering the releases. Fortunately I can wait until Dec 9. At least I think I can wait. I'll probably watch the final episode tomorrow and know better then. But I'll try and wait so I can watch S5/S2 together. Then when Angel season 3 arrives, I'll just buy it and watch it. It's my understanding that the little point in alternating between S6/S3. I won't have to worry again until S7/S4.
Old 10-16-03, 06:54 PM

Honestly, you don't even have to bother alternating with S5/S2. There are one or two things that are best appreciated by alternating, but you can enjoy Angel season 2 on its own without getting any major spoilers about Buffy season 5. Just hit stop just before the very end of the AtS S2 finale, if you're unaware of what happens at the end of BtVS S5.
Old 10-16-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by MEJHarrison
It's my understanding that the little point in alternating between S6/S3. I won't have to worry again until S7/S4.
correct. there is one connection between Buffy 6 and Angel 3 I can think of, but it's been so long I can't even remember what episodes it was with. I never really knew the names of the episodes before the dvds anyway, because while I was a fan, I didn't visit any websites about the shows......
Old 10-17-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by areacode212
Honestly, you don't even have to bother alternating with S5/S2. There are one or two things that are best appreciated by alternating, but you can enjoy Angel season 2 on its own without getting any major spoilers about Buffy season 5. Just hit stop just before the very end of the AtS S2 finale, if you're unaware of what happens at the end of BtVS S5.
That's alright. I'm just going to hold off another eight weeks and watch them together. Like I said, I still have plenty of other stuff to watch until then.

Back to the original question. Just having finished season 4 of Buffy, can I watch the bonus stuff on season 1 yet or are there spoilers? So far I only have a single 'stay away' vote and no 'its safe' votes. Maybe I'll go to a more Buffy specific website.
Old 10-17-03, 01:27 PM

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's safe to watch the bonus material on season 1 if you're up to season 4. I watched it while I was completely unspoiled for anything from S2-on, and I don't remember being upset about accidentally finding anything out.