Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Handler 10/10/03

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-03, 06:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The Handler 10/10/03

I enjoyed the episode, but it wasn't as good as the previous ones.

Since I've somewhat recently discovered the joys of reading, I liked the bookstore cover. Personally, I can't even walk past a bookstore anymore without going inside. I'm not totally sure, but I think people who handled rare manuscripts/books like those depicted in this episode would be wearing gloves so as not to let the acid and oil from their fingers get on the book pages.

It was interesting to see Joe undercover instead of him being the handler. They set up some potentially good future plotlines and stories for his role as Bruno, too.

I'm not really sure I'm liking Hill Harper, though. I think because I'm thinking of him in his role in The Skulls and I hated his character in that movie.

Anybody know how this show is doing in the ratings? It doesn't seem like too many people here at DVDTalk are watching it, so I'm getting the feeling that maybe it's not getting good ratings.

Old 10-13-03, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked this episode as well. I hope that they don't put Joey Pants in an undercover role in many of the episodes though...
Old 10-13-03, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I thought this ep was much better than the previous ep w/ the rock 'n roll bank robbers. I also liked seeing Joey Pants undercover, but I agree w/ movieking about not having him do it too often.
Old 10-13-03, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
10/10/03 "Bruno"

Joe walks into an old "acquaintance" from one of his previous undercover aliases "Bruno" and gets recruited for a bank heist, which involves burrowing from a newly leased bookstore across the street from a bank. Burt Young did look like he could have a coronary from the exertion, and his character did have a coronary.

Bruno's old flame shows up to put a crimp in his undercover mission, and Joe appears to be very conflicted about it.

Lily stumbles on a stolen book operation while working the bookstore, and has to fend off a friendly cop who takes a liking to her (and who could blame him?).

No Lily in this episode. Bummer. I just realized who she played on another show (Lola Glaudini was on The Sopranos as the undercover FBI agent who befriended Ariana).

Anyone, this episode was pretty entertaining at capturing the sticky problems with going undercover for long periods of time, and forging relationships that are hard to retire.
Old 10-13-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I had heard that this show was beating "Boomtown" pretty easily, but NBC replaced that show with a rerun of L&O:SVU-- and that repeat now beats The Handler.

So far this has been one of favorite new shows of the season (along with Miss Match).

I didn't like this episode as well as the first two, but it looks like it is setting up some running story arcs and character development which is good.

Personally, I enjoy the way the cast goes undercover in a different way every week. It keeps the show very fresh.
Old 10-13-03, 09:26 AM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Decent episode on Friday, but I must say, I'm not all that impressed with this show. If L&O re-runs are beating it, I don't see it lasting a full season - especially since it's a CBS show who cancelled RHD - in the same timeslot last year - after only a handful of episodes.
Old 10-13-03, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm very grateful I never got sucked in by the L&O franchises. Otherwise, I'd miss out on all these 0.5 to 1 season wunderkinds.
Old 10-13-03, 10:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I actually found this episode to be the best of the season so far. I've never thought about relationships that are built while undercover, and "Bruno" was a perfect example of this. In most cases I've seen on tv or the movies, when the undercover fed makes his/her bust, everyone is told they have been had (ie- Donny Brasco). So when Joe had to cover himself, and make up the story of how he didn't get busted, I found myself enjoying this show even more; it makes you look at a different side of undercover work.

...I also found it interesting that
Spoiler:
they didn't make any busts in the entire show.
Old 10-13-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'm getting more and more drawn into the show. I think this latest episode and it's deeper look into the ramifications of prolonged undercover work really gave a poignant insight into Joe's character. Pantoliano is so great.
Old 10-13-03, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The way Lily dove right into the her undercover stint as the book store clerk, seemed enthralled by the books the Star Trek guy was selling, and batted her eyes at the horny cop, I thought she was getting to be disenchanted with undercover work and would quit to follow that path. Fortunately, she found out they were stolen books and is still part of the team. She is so cute.

Honk!
Old 10-13-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One nitpick that I have with this episode is that Joe called himself a cop in the scene where he's talking with Hill Harper with the train going in the background. I believe the context was something like Joe saying maybe he should come clean with Gloria and tell her he's a cop. FBI special agents don't call themselves cops.

Old 10-14-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

So is the bookstore going to be a regular haunt in this show? It kinda seemed like they were hinting at that.