TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Smallville "Phoenix" 10/8/03

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-03, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Smallville "Phoenix" 10/8/03

"Phoenix", Episode #302.
(biggie spoilers possibly in episode guide)
Spoiler:
After Jor-El grants Jonathan temporary superpowers, he and Clark engage in a battle atop the LuthorCorp building; Lex must determine who arranged his plane crash.
Looks like a real must see for this week.

And sorry, but who does the theme song again?
Old 10-08-03, 10:00 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remy Zero

http://www.lyricsstyle.com/r/remyzero/saveme.html
Old 10-08-03, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

nother good episode.
last season, did we actually see Lex's plane crash.
Old 10-08-03, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I liked it. Rutger Hauer was good. Both Luthor's were back in top form.

I always thought Lana was sexy, but damn she can kick some ass!

I loved hearing Dido at the end of the show - great voice.

Last edited by B.A.; 10-08-03 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-08-03, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I loved it. All I want is an interesting, exciting show that is fun to watch. Smallville does it better for me than any other show. Smallville is for TV like Star Wars, LOTR, and The Matrix is for the movies. It's an event. Every week I watch the scenes for next week and I can't wait for the show.
Old 10-08-03, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
This was a bit of darker episode than I was expecting, with more plot twists that will obviously play out much later on. I thought one of the most interesting parts of this episode was when Clark
Spoiler:
admitted that the darker side of his personality under the influence of red kryptonite was closer to his "real" self. Someone last week suggested that Jonathan's brief heroics to bring Clark back home will have ramifications, i.e., the price he pays will probably be a premature death that will play a key part in Clark's final step into his journey into Superman in the final episode.
Old 10-08-03, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so where is Pete? He's his best friend but no mention of his looking for Clark or talking with him when he got back
Old 10-08-03, 09:19 PM

Nice conclusion to the two parter. That fight between Johnathan and Clark at the beginning was great! The show needs more of that; I want supervillains, not kryptonite freaks.

Overall, I still find the show is sloppy. Of course its always been sloppy.

Maybe I'm being picky, but they just gloss over some pretty big things:

Lana killed that thug in the Kent barn. How do they explain this to the authorities? How does Lionel not piece this together? What did the Kents tell Lana? I'm guessing she would ask them why thugs were in their barn holding them hostage while driving off with Clark. Shouldn't Lana be a bit upset about killing someone? That's the first time she's killed someone as far as I know.

Any bets on when Rutger Hauer and Lex's wife show up again?
Old 10-08-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

both will show up again.

it is pretty weird of them to gloss over how they explain the situation to lana.
Old 10-08-03, 09:54 PM

both will show up again.
I asked when not if

it is pretty weird of them to gloss over how they explain the situation to lana.
Actually, it happens almost every episode. Whether its Pete being ok after being chased by a squadron of military special forces or Lex not wondering how Clark shows up in Metropolis before him after turning down a helicopter ride to the city... happens a lot.
Old 10-08-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Didn't like it.

Jonathan/Clark's fight was alright, but I didn't care for the Helen back-n-forths and I didn't care for the reappearance of KungFu Lana [who dramatically rode off into the sunset after yet another "I don't know if I can do this" angst-filled ending]. Blah.

Rutger was good, and Emmanuelle was hot as always..

But this episode was just blah..
Old 10-08-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 230 Likes on 158 Posts
Thought the episode was pretty weak.

Clark/Pa Kent duel should have been longer and utilized various powers between the two.(Heat Vision would have been cool)

Thought that Lana should have been more traumatized from killing the goon in the barn.

Worst Line in the episode: Spoken by Chloe
"Clark has more issues than Rollingstone Magazine."
Old 10-08-03, 10:27 PM

I think Clark could have taken those two guys who were holding his parents hostage. They were only a few feet apart. Pa Kent even distracted the one thug for a second.
Old 10-08-03, 10:38 PM

Some of you are looking for plausible explanations for a show that is completely implausible to begin with. Or you've just become jaded and cynical.
Old 10-08-03, 10:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by candyrocket786
"Clark has more issues than Rollingstone Magazine."
I can defend that by saying that she is a writer for a newspaper and they tend to use cliché lines. I can honestly say that because I am a print journalism major.

I liked this episode, but I wouldn't even want to begin to try and explain the weird things that happen around Smallville. Everybody (including myself) finds fault in a show because it isn't realistic. But honestly how long would a show last if it only mimicked real life. With that being said; I thought it was quite convenient how everybody who saw Clark using Kryptonite on himself died. But I think it will all come back.

Oh and by the way Lex's wife is HOT!!
Old 10-08-03, 11:11 PM

That line is about a hundred times better than a line in Angel. I quote:

"They eat babies. Yeah, but only their heads."
Old 10-08-03, 11:12 PM

I can handle the police staying out of it.. hey, Clark can get rid of bodies pretty easily I suppose.

But don't have Lana kill someone if you are just going to pretend it didn't happen in her next scene.

Now that I'm thinking about the episode again though, another thing; Clark: "I called the Police and told them where the stolen money was"

WHHHAAAT?? Can I rob a few banks, call up the police a few months later and tell them where the money is, and then be ok? That's a pretty piss poor conclusion. I'm sure he spent a helluva lot of that money too. Hell he gave away a freakin sports car the first five minutes of the last episode. Did you tell the police about that, Clark?

I like the show, I really do, but there are just these tiny things in every episode that get to me. I blame Babylon 5. It spoiled me.
Old 10-09-03, 12:00 AM

Well, I don't deny that they should just throw things by the wayside the way they do sometimes. But the show is just so entertaining.

WHHHAAAT?? Can I rob a few banks, call up the police a few months later and tell them where the money is, and then be ok?
Well, if you remember Clark was never identified as the bank robber, and I think we can surmize that he didn't tell them who he was. Only where the money way. At least that's the way I thought about it.
Old 10-09-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
While they packed a whole lot of stuff in this episode, it didn't seem all that rushed or congested.

And as always, it seems, any bad person who stumbled on to Clark's secret gets put out the pasture, or in this case, put out to sea (though I doubt Edge died, and will probably return later, to cause the Kents even more grief).

Lex finally resolved his marital woes in the inimitable Luthor fashion. Too bad, I'll miss Helen.

Irony of ironies, Lex gets in good with the Kents, while accepting guidance willingly from his father. This should be the source of even more moral quandaries for Lex (internal battle of doing the right thing, or the profitable thing).

Dug the use of Dido's "White Flag" at the end of the episode where Clark spurns Lana, who is finally ready to commit to Clark, and Clark to so afraid of losing control of himself that he won't allow himself to let Lana in because he's wary of hurting the ones he loves the most.
Old 10-09-03, 02:58 AM

These two episodes answered alot of questions from last season and it worked out well. It's off to a good start. However - I think, a three parters would've been better so it wouldn't feel too compact. It's strange how Pete's only got one scene in these episode.

I agreed that Edge and Lex's wife will come back later in the season to cause headaches to the Kents and Lex. I think, Clark is starting to realize that he won't be able to fully be open with Lana and have a "real" relationship her until he completely share his secret. It's kind of like Peter Parker in Spiderman, at the end of the movie - where he is aware of his powers and responsibilties that comes with it.

Next week episode looks interesting... It looks like Lex's brother is back in town testing out Kryptonite bullets against Clark. It seems like the Luthor's are going to test out the Clark's powers this season. Time will tell.

-bruce
Old 10-09-03, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Terrell
Well, I don't deny that they should just throw things by the wayside the way they do sometimes. But the show is just so entertaining.
I agree ... and that's probably why/because I don't really spend a lot of time analyzing each episode.
Old 10-09-03, 08:37 AM

Originally posted by Astro

Lana killed that thug in the Kent barn. How do they explain this to the authorities? How does Lionel not piece this together? What did the Kents tell Lana? I'm guessing she would ask them why thugs were in their barn holding them hostage while driving off with Clark. Shouldn't Lana be a bit upset about killing someone? That's the first time she's killed someone as far as I know.
I thought it was pretty awful last night.

The paragraph above, Chloe's HORRIBLE "issues" line, the Melrose Place stuff with Mrs. Lex, it was all bad. They wasted so much screen time on Helen last season, it seems silly that this year she says "oh yeah, I actually was evil last season". Pretty weak. And why did Clark come back home after the fight with Pa Kent? It's not like the ring itself was making him stay in Metropolis.

The only positive was the addition of yet ANOTHER male relationship drenched in homoeroticism - Edge and Pa Luther.
Old 10-09-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

when the ring broke, the scar disappeared. it looked like they were connected somehow and the scar was influencing him as well. with the scar gone he decided to come home. also, the sight of his father on the ground probably helped
Old 10-09-03, 09:23 AM

What about Clark's first encounter with Edge in the episode, where he rips the car door off and threatens him? Did he take something away from his experience with the red kryponite?

Really dumb: Clark using the green kryponite in front of the the thugs. Couldn't he think of something better to do?
Old 10-09-03, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Evidently not, since the thugs had each parent away from one another, and Clark isn't about to risk losing either parent if he could do something to satiate them at the time.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.