Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Trading Spaces $100,000 - 10/5

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Trading Spaces $100,000 - 10/5

Overall this was pretty cool, however, I have to believe that the people they "randomly selected" were friends of the producers or someone else they were trying to get into bed with...

Each designer got $50,000 to spend on their house. This didn't include the stereo setups or the computers donated by SONY (Gratuitous product plug). I think that the people who lived in the house that Doug made over got the better end of the deal, a new kitchen including top end stainless steel appliances, home theatre, computer, stereo, new cabinets and (not a fan of the color) corian counter tops...

The other house got some wickedly expensive furniture, some cool wood furniture and a home theatre..

I loved how when Paige and the homeowner went to Best Buy to pick up some DVD's they thought they could get 500 for $1,000. I couldn't believe my eyes an entire shopping cart full of DVD's...in the end they ended up with only "classics"...IMO the only reason they purchased DVD's is because they are easy to retun.

Anyone else watch?
Old 10-06-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't get a chance to watch it yet with the mayhem that's my Sunday night viewing, but I hope to get to it in the next few days.

das
Old 10-06-03, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Is this going to be replayed? I think this is the episode that was filmed in my town.(it was a big story here)
Old 10-06-03, 09:38 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
looks like 2 showings next Saturday. and one next sunday.
Old 10-06-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by BadlyDrawnBoy
looks like 2 showings next Saturday. and one next sunday.
Thanks! Ill have to remember to record it.
Old 10-06-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

das...if you Tivo'd it you will be happy...there are a bazillion ads, and about 10 of the same sony ad
Old 10-06-03, 11:50 AM

This thread brought to you by Home Depot.
Old 10-06-03, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Danger1313
This thread brought to you by Home Depot.

It's actually THE Home Depot. Good thing I have my Swiffer handy to swoop in and clean up such egregious errors.

Can someone please tell me exactly what dead animal contributed to that pelt on Ty Pennington's head? That thing scares the bejesus out of me! Almost as frightening as Ben Affleck's "hair".
Old 10-06-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even with a 50 grand, it would go to waste on many of the TS designers. Many of them have no clue on how to design a space. The only designer on TS I think has any taste is Vern Yip. I guess I'll watch to see how they waste that money (on DVD's no less). Nothing against DVD's, of course. But who needs a designer for that?

HGTV actually has very good home improvement shows. Design on a Dime is similar to TS but the outcome is much more tasteful. And you can't beat Divine Designs by Candice Olsen. This gal really has a knack with design. All of her creations turn out truly beautiful.
Old 10-06-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wish I has $1000 for every time Laurie said "Oh my word." I hate that saying.

Or every time she overdramatically goes on about some fabric or something. She is such a drama queen.
Old 10-06-03, 12:37 PM

Good episode. It was cool to see Ty's artistic talents put to use on some very high quality materials. That table he did was gorgeous.

Definitely more gratuitous plugs than usual, but that VVega home theater really did look cool and I'm sure it isn't cheap.

My wife and I wondered how they chose Doug and Laurie? And what would HIldi have done with $50K?!
Old 10-06-03, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hildy would have converted the whole thing into 5,000,000 pennies and promptly glued them to the walls, ceiling and floor and called it her "Copper Cabana".

Hildy is teh suck, Laurie's room looked like my grandmother's house and Doug makes nice kitchens.

Good work from Ty - loved that fireplace!

I can't remember Any-Wynn doing anything worthwhile, aside from fighting over the tool set.
Old 10-06-03, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not really the best person to comment on the actual show since I don't really watch it, but I caught parts of this 100,000 show because my wife was watching it. For 50k they should have been able to do a lot better. 50k for a couple rooms should look quite remarkable. The end result seemed kinda bland and boring. I didn't watch the whole show, but I really don't understand how it could have cost 50k to do all that, especially if a lot of the electronics were donated as someone above said.

Obviously the designers aren't big tv watchers though. That plasma was mounted way too high above the fireplace and there weren't even any seats in a position to watch it. The 2 chairs along the wall weren't even facing it and would place the viewer at about a 45 degree angle to the side, plus having to crane their neck up to the ceiling to watch it. Pretty unusable really.
Old 10-06-03, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
amy winn..

Old 10-06-03, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I didn't like the tv over the fireplace, either.

The table Amy made was really nice, before it was excessively sanded and then stained.
Doug's room did turn out a lot better/more practical, but he did have more space to work with.

I really didn't like the picture Laurie put over the fireplace.

It seemed like they spent most of their money of hiring help. But at least the homeowners now have nice floors and decent furniture that they can now rearrange (and repaint the walls).
Old 10-06-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Fanboy
Hildy would have converted the whole thing into 5,000,000 pennies and promptly glued them to the walls, ceiling and floor and called it her "Copper Cabana".
All the while proudly exclaiming how she got each one for only $0.01!

Last edited by Duran; 10-06-03 at 02:43 PM.
Old 10-06-03, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It was funny too how they kept stressing the "hundred thousand dollars" when really it was $50,000 per room. During the regular show, they don't make a point to say $2000-- they instead stress the per-room budget which is $1000.

I think Laurie's room looked exactly how her room's always look. She always spends her money on over-priced fabrics that really don't make that much difference to the look of the roomanyway. I mean who touches curtains? Why would you need silk?
Old 10-06-03, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

If I had 50k to spend on one room, I'd make a movie theater style entertainment room. I saw Doug make a cheaper version on one show, to think what he could have done w/ 50 k in that one room.
Old 10-06-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i enjoyed the show and surprisingly, i liked doug's room(s) better that laurie's! (i initially told my boyfriend that they should spend their paige gift on a GC to home depot to fix whatever damage he did!)

laurie cluttered up the room with items that were way too expensive. she could've done so much more! those homeowners didn't seem like they were gonna cherish the fact that the sunburst mirrow was 19thc. or that that chair was an italian repro.! doug's group definitely got the better end of the deal.

btw, when the bought those appliances they spent $1,000??? they only got about 5 items???
Old 10-06-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That guy Doug does what he wants not what you want. So, I don't think it would be far-fetched for him to stick $50K worth of pennies to the wall either.
Old 10-06-03, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I did not care for Lauries room at all.
Old 10-07-03, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I liked how everyone found a way to slip in a snide remark about Laurie being a psycho. The couple called her "the crazy redhead" behind her back, and Ty mockingly suggested they could fit more furniture in there.

Ty's stuff was great, and Amy Wynn's table looked promising before it got all f'd up.

In the end Laurie's room didn't look as bad as it did as she was putting it together with ugly crap that looked like it had been yanked from Fred Sanford's junk garage. I wouldn't want to live there, but I'm sure my great grandmother would have loved it.

I would have been very happy with what Doug did.

Buying a bunch of crap from Worst Buy was a copout, but damn, what I wouldn't give to take a limo shopping with Paige Davis.

das
Old 10-07-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
..., what I wouldn't give to take a limo shopping with Paige Davis.

das
You said it...they need to pay her more so she can afford a bra.. That homeowner had to be drooling the entire time he was in the limo with Paige....
Old 10-07-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Did you notice how her energy kind of sagged and she had to fight the urge to roll her eyes each time the homeowners said what they wanted to do with the money? She quickly returned to overdose levels of perkage, but you could see that she was not impressed.

das
Old 10-07-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Paige is so cute you want to smack her upside the head a few times. I bet she's a demanding superbitch when she's not on air.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.