Search this Thread

Old 10-05-03, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tarzan - 10-5 - Series Premiere

Anyone else check out any of this show?

It's Tarzan reborn as a hip New Yorker. Actually, Tarzan is a man who spent
Spoiler:
some time lost in the jungle for a number of years and then found by some relatives later

Jane is a detective on the NY police force, and they meet one night and have some attraction to each other.

30 minutes in and it looks like Tarzan is some weird varation of Batman, so I'm not too sure that I'd check out any future episodes.
Old 10-05-03, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not a bad show. It was like Smallville meets X-Files meets NYPD Blue. I'll watch next week.
Old 10-05-03, 10:09 PM
Banned

Received 376 Likes on 295 Posts
So, when is L.A. Conan coming out?
Old 10-05-03, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
I've got my fingers crossed for Delray Beach Dracula, where Vlad Dracul entertains early bird specials, bingo matches, Lincoln town cars, and cabana-wear as he stalks his victims (but only if their blood type is low-sodium.)
Old 10-06-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I was thinking it's more like Beauty and the Beast...above ground.

The premise could get tired after a while, though. I see the premise set up in this episode as Tarzan is trying to do as they do on the Discovery Channel to Jane, but keeps on getting ripped away from her before he can do as they do on the Discovery Channel to her. In the interim time, he rips things up and gets pissed off at his sexual frustration. I hope I am reading this series wrong, and will give it a chance, as I like to see what WB will do with a new genre show, but it will have to get really good for me to stick around.
Old 10-06-03, 02:42 PM
Cat

I had zero expectations of liking this series, but I really enjoyed the pilot episode. The way Tarzan was filmed as he jumped around really gave the impression of simian movements. I don't know the plans for the series, but the beginning made it seem like some sort of Batman/Superhero type show. Tarzan out saving people every night would get old, but I really like the updated story and how they integrated Tarzan into present day New York.

Cat
Old 10-06-03, 04:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

M'eh.

I'll keep watching to see how
Spoiler:
Xena
changes the dynamic, but wasn't too impressed so far.
Old 10-06-03, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wow, I never realized how living in the jungle can prepare you to be able to jump through a dozen windows without shoes or a shirt and never get hurt.

Actually, it wasn't as bad as I expected and I'll keep watching for a few weeks, at least, for the same reason as Chew.
Old 10-07-03, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd never be bored enough to sit through another episode.
Old 10-08-03, 10:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 156 Posts
Haven't seen the show, but the premise sounds like one of the dumbest concepts ever.

"You see, it's Tarzan, but, he's like, not in the jungle!"

Old 10-08-03, 11:13 AM

Is this going to repeat over the weekend?
Old 10-08-03, 11:17 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Complete garbage. I hope it gets cancelled soon.
Old 10-10-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I confess, I taped this and finally watched it. On the outset, I didn't find Jane all that attractive, but as the episode rolled along, and Tarzan sniffing around here, she got more attractive. Strange?

For the longest time, I thought Tarzan was going to be played by the guy who plays Smith (Sam's new boyfriend) on "Sex And The City" this season because he totally looks the part as well. The guy playing Tarzan (or his stunt double has been studying Jackie Chan's moves very well.

The rest of the show was okay, but it might get more interesting with Lucy Lawless onboard next episode. She's virtually unrecognizable with the shorter, lighter colored hair nowadays.
Old 10-10-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Patman
I confess, I taped this and finally watched it. On the outset, I didn't find Jane all that attractive, but as the episode rolled along, and Tarzan sniffing around here, she got more attractive. Strange?
Not at all - she did get better looking as the ep went along, even though I found her some-what attractive from the get go.
Old 10-11-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I finally got around to watching this.... and the best thing I can say is that I've seen worse.

The setting for this spin on Tarzan isn't exactly new. The 1942 Tarzan's New York Adventure had Johnny Weissmuller swinging around on the Brooklyn Bridge, and the 1989 TV movie Tarzan in Manhattan had Joe Lara romancing cab-driver Jane while they searched for Cheetah.