DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   So is NBC's Coupling the NEXT Friends? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/320887-so-nbcs-coupling-next-friends.html)

WNYXican 09-29-03 07:40 PM

So is NBC's Coupling the NEXT Friends?

Didnt watch the show last week but was wondering if the show is bringing in good reviews and friends size ratings?????

NBC put a lot of hype and hope into this, was wondering, when Frasier and Friends go and with Will and Grace kinda halfway through their thing, if Thursdays will belong to NBC anymore?

Jackskeleton 09-29-03 07:41 PM

nah. I'm sure the characters will get stale and the combination of who could sleep with who will eventually dry up.

Jobronie 09-29-03 08:43 PM

Re: So is NBC's Coupling the NEXT Friends?

Originally posted by WNYXican
Didnt watch the show last week but was wondering if the show is bringing in good reviews and friends size ratings?????

It got panned here......

TheMadMonk 09-29-03 08:54 PM

Just watch the BBC version; the NBC one is just recycling those episodes (with extra cuts for our puritanical american audience)

freedexter 09-29-03 09:07 PM

The ratings aren't even as good as Will and Grace. NBC is screwed, unless everybody suddenly finds "Good Morning Miami" hilarious.

Jeraden 09-29-03 09:13 PM

I hate Friends and Will & Grace type shows, but I loved Coupling. I haven't read any official reviews or opinions, but I don't really see why it would get panned, both my wife and I found it hilarious. I would imagine most criticism from it would arise from it duplicating an existing british show. I'm sure most British Coupling enthusiasts would feel a lot of resentment towards a US version of it. However, that doesn't mean its a bad show, not everyone gets BBC.

huzefa 09-29-03 09:32 PM

Originally posted by Jeraden
I hate Friends and Will & Grace type shows, but I loved Coupling. I haven't read any official reviews or opinions, but I don't really see why it would get panned, both my wife and I found it hilarious. I would imagine most criticism from it would arise from it duplicating an existing british show. I'm sure most British Coupling enthusiasts would feel a lot of resentment towards a US version of it. However, that doesn't mean its a bad show, not everyone gets BBC.
You're absolutely wrong. It is a bad show! It's so simple. Nobody hates it because NBC tried to bring it over from the UK; we hate it because it has brought it over so poorly, and this after literally being spoonfed the lines AND having a dress-rehearsal of sorts (the UK version) to go off of.

Jobronie 09-29-03 10:38 PM

Originally posted by huzefa
You're absolutely wrong. It is a bad show! It's so simple. Nobody hates it because NBC tried to bring it over from the UK; we hate it because it has brought it over so poorly, and this after literally being spoonfed the lines AND having a dress-rehearsal of sorts (the UK version) to go off of.
Yeah, OP should read our comments from the other night, right after the show aired.

I've never seen even a snippet of the BBC version, but I thought even the premiere of Union Sqare was better than this.....

Jeraden 09-29-03 11:07 PM

I'm wrong cause I don't think its a bad show? Well, if it makes me and my wife laugh out loud, I don't consider it a bad show. Sorry.

Actually, I just went and read the other thread about the premiere and 90% of the people discussing it are comparing it to the UK version. There's like 3 people that chimed in who had never seen it before. So basically, it seems like a lot of resentful UK version lovers. Once you get used to a certain group of people playing a role, its hard to imagine anyone else taking their place. Probably the same reason I can't stand CSI Miami as I think the casting is horrible compared to the original CSI.

Kal-El 09-29-03 11:20 PM

Um, not by a long shot IMO. Scrubs is the only show that's even remotely close and at times even surpasses Friends' laugh factor during its peak years.

madcougar 09-29-03 11:27 PM

Bwhahahahahah! Coupling is more likely NBC's next Manimal than Friends.

dolphinboy 09-29-03 11:36 PM

Rena Sofer can be my friend. :drool:

abintra 09-30-03 03:32 AM

Originally posted by Jeraden
I'm wrong cause I don't think its a bad show? Well, if it makes me and my wife laugh out loud, I don't consider it a bad show. Sorry.

Actually, I just went and read the other thread about the premiere and 90% of the people discussing it are comparing it to the UK version. There's like 3 people that chimed in who had never seen it before. So basically, it seems like a lot of resentful UK version lovers. Once you get used to a certain group of people playing a role, its hard to imagine anyone else taking their place. Probably the same reason I can't stand CSI Miami as I think the casting is horrible compared to the original CSI.

Don't feel badly. Unless a thread is titled as an "appreciation" thread everyone is free to post whatever their opinions on the show may be no matter how much in the minority. As long as it is for the sake of sharing and conversation and not strictly as a thread crap everyone can like what they like.

Now getting people on a internet forum to respect an opinion other than one that concurs with their own might be another issue altogether.

That said, your opinion is wrong and you're an idiot and how dare you share. ;)

I also went into the NBC version without seeing or knowing much about the orginal nor reading anything in regards to them but didn't enjoy it at all. I have since seen 4 episodes of the original including the pilot and the NBC one was handled quite poorly in comparison. The NBC pilot was pretty much the same thing but not only was some of the things they changed not handled well but they didn't capture what should have.

They most certainly can and will improve on that first epsiode overtime but I can see why those that enjoy and have access to the original wouldn't care for the NBC version as the best thing they could do for it would be to take it in their own direction rather than solely intending to refilm it in which it will likely not hold up well.

Tom Banjo 09-30-03 05:14 AM

I personally believe that Scrubs is the best thing that NBC has going on Thursday nights. Once Friends is gone next season (and God-willing, W&G), I really hope they finally give this show the credit it deserves. It has the potential to be as popular as Friends and Seinfeld ever were.

Static Cling 09-30-03 06:57 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
nah. I'm sure the characters will get stale and the combination of who could sleep with who will eventually dry up.
Wait... so it will be the next Friends! :)

ChrisHicks 09-30-03 07:35 AM

Originally posted by dolphinboy
Rena Sofer can be my friend. :drool:
my only reason for watching.

Red Dog 09-30-03 08:05 AM

I don't know why anyone would want to imitate a show that has been lagging for the last 3 years. ;)

huzefa 09-30-03 10:51 AM

Originally posted by Red Dog
I don't know why anyone would want to imitate a show that has been lagging for the last 3 years. ;)
FYI: UK Coupling was 'apparently' trying to imitate friends. NBC Coupling is trying to imitate UK Coupling. UK Coupling hasn't been lagging at all.

Red Dog 09-30-03 10:54 AM

FYI: UK Coupling was 'apparently' trying to imitate friends. NBC Coupling is trying to imitate UK Coupling. UK Coupling hasn't been lagging at all.

I was talking about Friends lagging, not UK Coupling.

UK Coupling is fantastic and I think it is more like Sex & the City and Seinfeld than Friends. The only resemblance to Friends is that it features 3 30-year old women and 3 30-year old men.

Morf 09-30-03 11:32 AM

Originally posted by madcougar
Bwhahahahahah! Coupling is more likely NBC's next Manimal than Friends.
Hey! Manimal ruled!

Sn0 09-30-03 11:35 AM

The first U.S episode was a line for line rip off of a BBC episode. The funny thing is BBCAmerica aired the same episode on Thursday as well. It could be interesting if we can compare and contrast each week. There were some difference but not many.

BDB 09-30-03 11:55 AM

Add me to the list that thinks Scrubs is the next friends, and if you have not watched it you should start.

The Antipodean 09-30-03 04:58 PM

Unfortunately NBC is determined to treat "Scrubs' like a wicked stepchild, they decided not to have it premiere the night they had everything else start last week and I recall last year they even ended the season a few weeks early so they coud add more pointless "Friends" reruns... I don't feel like the network has shown a lot of faith in the show, they sure don't promote it like they do.

huzefa 09-30-03 05:29 PM

Scrubs is not the next friends; it is the next Seinfeld. There are so few shows that come along that can be compared to Seinfeld; UK Coupling is one, Scrubs is another and if Andy Richter Controls The Universe hadn't been cancelled, it would have been the third.

Rypro 525 09-30-03 06:50 PM

Isn't scrubs one of the only sitcoms that doesn't have a laugh track. [nbcexecutive]now wait a min. I have an idea [/nbcexecutive]