DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Cold Case premiere (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/320722-cold-case-premiere.html)

MrX 09-29-03 12:02 AM

Cold Case premiere

Anyone else watch this?

I thought it was a pretty average episode.

I liked Kathryn Morris but other then that it seemed like a mediocre Law and Order episode minus the lawyers.

I'll give it until the Simpsons come back before I give up on it.

I thought the parts where they showed her looking at the suspect and seeing the 1976 version was over done. Maybe once so we know who is who but not the 2, 3, or 4 times they did it.

abintra 09-29-03 02:23 AM

I pretty much got the same out of it. Pleased to see Kathryn Morris given a lead like this and she would be my only reason for continuing to watch which will likely only be very rarely from this point on. Pretty standard assembly line tv for me.

Bruckheimer, and every one else, is cluttering the market with these type of shows. Of course I am not a particular fan of much that stays completely within the confines of a genre, broad statement, so there would have to be something that stood out to make me want to tune in every episode (other than Morris).

gerrythedon 09-29-03 03:06 AM

okay show, need to see more episodes to decide if Imma continue watching it.

BlackCapTen 09-29-03 06:58 AM

Agreed. It was simply OK, I did like the music used.

Jeraden 09-29-03 07:20 AM

I liked it.

Chew 09-29-03 07:40 AM

I think the cases need to be a lot harder to solve. Either the cops were not motivated to solve this in 1976 or just plain dumb. It didn't take a lot of "digging" to find out what was going on here.

But the HD was certainly awesome. :D

tanman 09-29-03 12:51 PM

It was alright but I thought the weakest part about it was Kathrynn Morris. She just did a very flat job. Ill give it another try nest week.

mookiemeister 09-29-03 02:04 PM

I didn't think the old case is that interesting for a pilot episode. Hope next week's case is better.

balancer 09-29-03 03:28 PM

I liked it. The lead was good and refreshing, not some washed up hag we've seen much of before. The case was okay, but I really liked the music and the flashback stuff (if a bit overdone).. also like the ad for a&e's cold case files at the end.

Geofferson 10-04-03 06:04 PM

Well, I finally got around to watching this (after a backlog of shows piled up on the DVR).

I didn't like this show at all. I do think that the TV market is cluttered with these types of shows and this one isn't even very good if it weren't cluttered.

I felt that it had a promising opening - with the flashback to the time period when the crime was committed - and a solid ending - good choice of music to set the mood for when the criminals finally got their due, but everything in between I didn't much care for.

I may give it another chance tomorrow night, not sure yet.

Rogue588 10-05-03 01:49 AM

this just hit me when I was catching up on shows that I taped..

i'm amazed at all the vulgar language that slid by on this ep [specifically during the last flashback scene]

I remember "as*hole" & "prick". I think there might've been some more too..

Don't get me wrong...I really don't give a shit, I just thought it was weird since it was during the 8-9p time slot..

movieking 10-05-03 01:50 PM

I was pleasantly surprised at this show, and look forward to the next episode. Great music in the episode :up:

das Monkey 10-05-03 07:02 PM

I too was surprised that I enjoyed it. It wasn't great, but I was somewhat expecting the first episode to suck so I wouldn't have to watch again, but it was pretty solid. I agree that the TV landscape is oversaturated with these Bruckheimer dramas; the saving grace with this show for me was that it didn't rely heavily on bullshit technology or huge leaps in supergenius criminal logic like some of the other shows (e.g. <i>C.S.I.</i>). It wasn't "shocking" but it was relatively realistic, and I appreciated that.

The flashback stuff was overdone, and they need to drop that; also, the cases need to be a bit more complicated (of course, it's easy to see how this family could have helped the case go away). All in all, though, I enjoyed it and will check it out again tonight.

das

das Monkey 10-05-03 10:18 PM

Nevermind. I forgot about the way CBS ****s everything up on the weekends so it's impossible to watch their primetime lineup. Much like <i>The Education of Max Bickford</i>, I would have watched this show if I could know when it would actually air. Oh well ... one less thing to worry about. Good job, CBS. You ran off another viewer.

das

Patman 10-05-03 10:22 PM

Yeah, I have a nice recording of most of 60 Minutes now... Oh well, maybe I'll catch it on the re-run season.

Rogue588 10-05-03 10:39 PM

:hscratch:

what are you guys talkin' about..? it was on at 8p.

Patman 10-05-03 10:42 PM

On the east coast?

movielib 10-05-03 10:45 PM

Originally posted by Rogue588
:hscratch:

what are you guys talkin' about..? it was on at 8p.

Depends on if there's a late game on CBS and that varies from market to market. There wasn't here so CBS shows aired at their regular time for us. But when your area has a late game, you've got to pad for CBS's penchant for airing their entire Sunday primetime schedule no matter how late it starts.

Rogue588 10-05-03 10:48 PM

Originally posted by Patman
On the east coast?
Si senor.

I don't know where you're located Patman, but unless Atlanta has seceded from the east coast and started their own time zone, das should've seen it at 8 too.

Unless he was watching his Braves get knocked out of the playoffs by the...::snicker::...Cubs :lol:

MrX 10-05-03 11:19 PM

To bad you guys missed it because I thought it was much better then last week.

The flashback wasn't used as much as it was last week and their were more suspects this week instead of her knowing who did it and having to prove it like last week.

das Monkey 10-05-03 11:22 PM

He's just across town from me, and I too recorded a healthy block of <i>60 Minutes</i>. Classic CBS.

And yeah, I was also watching the Braves lose along with the USA women's national team. All in all, it was a great night. -ohbfrank-

das

Patman 10-05-03 11:24 PM

If I didn't have stuff to record in the 9 o'clock hour, I'd gladly extend the hour alloted to Cold Case, but I happen to be all filled up in that time slot.

ENDContra 10-06-03 01:24 AM

So whats the big deal about the CBS schedule? Its not that hard to just record the next show to make sure you get it all. I dunno, maybe what you guys have is different, but I can record two things at one time with my DVR.

As for this show, I love the way both episodes have ended...the first one especially. The music and lack of natural sound is great, and although it is kinda cheesy in a way, I like how the participants appear as their younger selves from time to time throughout the show. Oh, and Kathryn Morris is a hottie :drool:.

das Monkey 10-06-03 01:40 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth ENDContra •<HR SIZE=1>So whats the big deal about the CBS schedule? Its not that hard to just record the next show to make sure you get it all. I dunno, maybe what you guys have is different, but I can record two things at one time with my DVR.<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>
Here's what I was recording from tonight's 9pm block:

<i>Inside the Actors Studio: Clint Eastwood</i>
<i>Trading Spaces: 100 Grand</i>
<i>Alias</i>
<i>Law & Order: Criminal Intent</i>
<i>Tarzan</i>
<i>Carnivale</i>

while watching the MLB Playoffs and the FIFA Women's World Cup.

That's what the big deal is.

das

Chew 10-06-03 06:22 AM

Originally posted by ENDContra
So whats the big deal about the CBS schedule? Its not that hard to just record the next show to make sure you get it all. I dunno, maybe what you guys have is different, but I can record two things at one time with my DVR.
As das said, that works fine if you're only recording two things. :lol: