Boomtown "the Love Of Money" 09.26.2003

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-03, 03:59 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the Love Of Money

Second-season opener: Vanessa Williams joins the cast as a strong-willed detective, out to nail an unscrupulous thief (Rebecca De Mornay) who's linked to two cop-killings.
So...after not watching the entire first season on NBC...and then missing it when they rebroadcast it on Bravo, I decided to catch the season premiere. [well, Kelly Hu, and to a lesser extent, Rebecca DeMornay, had something to do with it..]

I have to say...I liked it. And it pissed me off even more that I had two opportunities to watch it and missed both times. Vanessa looked especially . I'm wondering though, I remember one of the selling points was the telling of the story from "many points of view". I also remember reading on here that they abandoned it as the first season went on. have they resorted to that device? Is this how the show was at the beginning? also, that guy at the end [the one who was in ST: First Contact] seems to be a "fun" character. True?

oh...one more q...why are Donnie and Mykelti in street clothes while Jason and his partner are in uniform? different grades?
Old 09-27-03, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Boomtown "the Love Of Money" 09.26.2003

Originally posted by Rogue588
So...after not watching the entire first season on NBC...and then missing it when they rebroadcast it on Bravo, I decided to catch the season premiere. [well, Kelly Hu, and to a lesser extent, Rebecca DeMornay, had something to do with it..]

I have to say...I liked it. And it pissed me off even more that I had two opportunities to watch it and missed both times. Vanessa looked especially . I'm wondering though, I remember one of the selling points was the telling of the story from "many points of view". I also remember reading on here that they abandoned it as the first season went on. have they resorted to that device? Is this how the show was at the beginning? also, that guy at the end [the one who was in ST: First Contact] seems to be a "fun" character. True?

oh...one more q...why are Donnie and Mykelti in street clothes while Jason and his partner are in uniform? different grades?
This is a much different show than when it started last year. Although they still use the "different points of view", it's not nearly as important as it was.

McNorris (guy at the end) is awesome! Best part of the show for me. His scene had me rolling.

As to the street clothes and uniforms: those two are detectives, while the others are cops.

Oh and Kelly Hu:
Old 09-27-03, 01:03 PM
Retired

The different points of view was just like how the showed the cops going to the vault in the helicopter, then when the get their and open it, they go "back in time" and show you what the theives were doing it at that time.

That was all they ever did with the points of view.

Anyway, another awesome episode. This is the only show on TV I make a point to watch every week and get pissed if I miss it.
Old 09-27-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wasn't this episode supposed to have a "hot lesbian kiss" between Rebecca and Kelly? I could have sworn I read that somewhere, but I don't remember seeing it in the show.
Old 09-27-03, 02:27 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The "Different Points of View" has been muted a lot since the pilot. It skipped around to several different players in the story, with each segment offering a slightly new look at the events (and an additional clue). It was very cool, but the show didn't sustain it.

Tonight's episode wasn't bad, although it was a continuation of a story arc from last season. I liked the Vanessa Williams character as well...good addition, although it pretty seals this as a "cop show" now. I'll wait and watch a couple more episodes to see where the show goes.
Old 09-27-03, 05:36 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I thought it was good but not up to the level it was at last year.

The McNorris bit at the end was hilarious, the show should pick up next week with his return.
Old 09-27-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
I liked this ep though I really do wish they would use the multiple p.o.v. more often.

McNorris is a hoot and it will be nice to see him back next week. Can't stop being a lawyer even in rehab!
Old 09-28-03, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
First time watcher, and for the same reason KELLY HU! I liked the show and will continue taping it.

Last edited by gerrythedon; 09-28-03 at 02:53 AM.
Old 09-28-03, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Kickass ending. Average episode. I enjoyed it, but it's not overly promising for the season premiere. They need to bring their game up to last year's level.

das
Old 09-28-03, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey
Kickass ending. Average episode. I enjoyed it, but it's not overly promising for the season premiere. They need to bring their game up to last year's level.
Agreed. It is a bit early in the season for stunt casting (albeit on a smaller level), and to have hot thieves this early in the season does not bode well for what is to come. Personally, I would like them to go back to the multiple POV more, as it is what attraced me to the show at the beginning. I have read though that there will be less of it because it is too confusing to Joe Six Pack who just flips in and doesn't understand that things are not in chronoligical order...
Old 09-28-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
I thought it was good. I really enjoyed the ending w/ McNorris. He was by far the best character on the show. I can't wait until he comes back.
Old 09-28-03, 11:15 PM

Is the reporter lady gone? I'd prefer her over Williams.
Old 09-28-03, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth grifter •<HR SIZE=1>Is the reporter lady gone? I'd prefer her over Williams. <HR SIZE=1>

Yeah. She wasn't always well written, but I miss her.

das
Old 09-29-03, 12:13 AM

Originally posted by grifter
Is the reporter lady gone?
Yes, and it's the only reason I gave the show another chance.
Old 09-29-03, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,198 Likes on 4,225 Posts
Turning a great show into an ordinary one. I'm sorry, Rebecca De Mornay and Kelly Hu as professional bank robbers? Was Cathrine Zeta Jone's character from Entrapment unavialable?
Hopefully McNorris has a bigger role starting next episode.

And the point of view thing wasn't just the pilot, but ran most of season one. That's what set the show apart. If they're going to be feeding us Dragnet with better actors, fine, I've got better things to do on Friday night anyway. Could I just get season one on DVD, please?
Old 09-29-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I thought it was a pretty good episode. The best part of it was the ending w/ McNorris though. His presence is really needed to break up all of the police drama. They ditch the reporter lady, but keep the EMT lady, and then they only give her about one minute of screen-time - wtf is that? They might as well have kept the female reporter and given her a few minutes an ep, too. She wasn't that bad, imo.

Anyhow - can't wait for next week and more McNorris.
Old 09-29-03, 10:49 AM

They need to dump that EMT chick too. It's pretty silly that she just happens to be the paramedic in the ambulance for every single case. Plus, they've resolved the only running storyline she was a part of.
Old 09-29-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
They need to dump that EMT chick too. It's pretty silly that she just happens to be the paramedic in the ambulance for every single case. Plus, they've resolved the only running storyline she was a part of.
I know - it makes absolutely no sense. She's the most useless cast member in the history of television. I'm surprised that they even give her credit at the beginning of every show.
Old 09-29-03, 11:35 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Spoiler:
I read she's supposed to go to the police academy and become a cop at somepoint this season. I'm not sure if they're still going to do that though
Old 09-29-03, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah McNorris is definitely my favorite part of the show.

From the previews it looks like he has a bigger part. Even though I loved the show, I always got upset when McNorris was not a bigger player on certain episodes. Last season he was only seen for 20 odd seconds in several of the episodes (especially the ones in the middle of the season)

Hopefully this season will be bigger for him. He was big last year because he blew me away with The David McNorris Show and Blackout. I hope he gets episodes on par of the previous two mentioned.

----

About the episode. Pretty good. Hopefully Vanessa Williams will become a regular on the show. I really liked her character. Although her character wasn't fully fleshed out, I am pretty sure we will get to know her better.
Old 09-30-03, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Good start. I for one am glad that they dumped the reporter chick. Never really cared for the character. I too would like them to return to the multiple out-of-sequence POV presentation.

McNorris was hilarious at the end.
Old 09-30-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

McNorris is my favorite character, but I am going to miss Andrea. She was one of the hottest chicks on network TV. Hopefully she comes up in something somewhere along the way...
Old 10-02-03, 12:30 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts
I think the fact that several of you watched this based on Kelly Hu and are considering repeat viewing proves that NBC did good having a special guest early in the season.

My fave is Donnie, I love his acting as Joel, some of his work last season was excellent, McNorris is also fantastic. Neal McDonough is a great pick.

I can't understand why they never pushed the Graham Yost/BoB cast angle on this in ads. Maybe Spielberg would not go for it.

Anyway it was my personal favourite show last season, and I am glad to see it back.
Old 10-02-03, 12:53 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Red Dog
Good start. I for one am glad that they dumped the reporter chick. Never really cared for the character. I too would like them to return to the multiple out-of-sequence POV presentation.

McNorris was hilarious at the end.
I liked the reporter, and thought she was a whole lot more relevant and interesting than the paramedic.
Old 10-04-03, 04:35 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
Finally got around to watching this last night.

Not a bad opener. Good story and guest stars. McNorris did indeed have a great bit at the end too.