DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Threat Matrix 9/25 thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/320229-threat-matrix-9-25-thread.html)

javanut 09-26-03 10:23 AM

Threat Matrix 9/25 thread

Thought the second episode was better than the first.

The things I liked:
- More Kelly Rutherford - a great character for her
- Incorporation of the Patriot Act into the plot
- teh drugs/terrorism link
- the first 5 minutes, which were very well done

Officer Cartman 09-26-03 10:37 AM

I liked the pilot, but this show won't last in this timeslot.. Survivor, Friends, Temptation Island, Jamie Kennedy, etc - All against this new show. This will suffer the same death as Push Nevada did. That's a shame, because it seems like it could be a good show, but I don't have 5 PVRs in order to record everything.

mrpayroll 09-26-03 11:50 AM

Here are the overnight ratings. Doesn't look too bad!

A super-sized season premiere of "Friends" and the opening of "Will & Grace" averaged 15.0/23 to win the 8 o'clock hour for NBC. "Survivor: Pearl Islands" did a strong 11.7/18 to finish second. <b>ABC's "Threat Matrix" dipped slightly in its second week, to 4.7/8.</b> The first hour of "WWE Smackdown!" (3.0/5 average from 8 to 10 p.m.) put UPN in fourth. The WB averaged 2.3/4 with "Steve Harvey's Big Time" and "The Jamie Kennedy Experiment." FOX trailed with the finale of "Temptation Island 3."

So if ABC was happy with last weeks ratings, they must be very happy with last nights ratings, since the ratings only dipped slightly going against Friends and Survivor. I think if the ratings remain stable, we shall see this show for the full season.

Chris

javanut 09-26-03 01:12 PM

That's amazing that it did so well. I actaully think it can withstand the timeslot just because of the counter programming angle. For people who aren't Friends junkies and are tired of reality tv, this is their show.

mrpayroll 09-26-03 01:20 PM

Originally posted by javanut
That's amazing that it did so well. I actaully think it can withstand the timeslot just because of the counter programming angle. For people who aren't Friends junkies and are tired of reality tv, this is their show.

Couldn't have said it better!

Chris

spainlinx0 09-26-03 02:14 PM

I watched it, but felt the whole "we are our own worst enemy" stuff was a little preachy and annoying.

mrpayroll 09-26-03 02:56 PM

Originally posted by spainlinx0
I watched it, but felt the whole "we are our own worst enemy" stuff was a little preachy and annoying.

Sometimes the truth is! ;)

Chris

huzefa 09-26-03 03:45 PM

Originally posted by spainlinx0

That's what I felt about last week's episode too.

javanut 09-26-03 04:29 PM

Maybe it is preachy but maybe it's also a message people need to hear.

das Monkey 09-27-03 12:27 AM

She's nothing spectacular, but for some reason Melora Walters gives me the hot.

I agree that this one was a little preachy and annoying. On the other hand, we're not building the best track record on responding to subtlety and personal responsibility either, so I guess I don't mind too much. While preachy, the message is true. I'm going to get annoyed if they keep it up, though.

das

B.A. 09-27-03 04:01 PM

The best part of the show was Kelly Rutherford. The rest of the cast isn't too shabby either.

I liked the ep, but I don't want to see a "preachy" show week after week, now that would be annoying.

mookiemeister 09-27-03 09:24 PM

Argh! I was watching Survivor and set my VCR to record Thread Matrix. But somehow my VCR messed up on the recording so I couldn't watch the episode.

FranksAndBeans 09-28-03 01:09 AM

Despite the conservative bent of the show, I do find myself enjoying it.

The writing and the acting are top-notch.

(BTW, seems to me that another message that could be taken from the last episode is that all drugs should be legalized, so that their selling is NOT used to fund terrorism. After all, no one is funding terrorism by selling alcohol. 'Nuff said.........)

B.A. 09-28-03 12:35 PM

Originally posted by FranksAndBeans
(BTW, seems to me that another message that could be taken from the last episode is that all drugs should be legalized, so that their selling is NOT used to fund terrorism. After all, no one is funding terrorism by selling alcohol. 'Nuff said.........)
Nice spin on things. ;) Actually I completely agree.

spainlinx0 09-28-03 01:37 PM

Despite the conservative bent of the show, I do find myself enjoying it.

The writing and the acting are top-notch.

That's what I was thinking while watching as well, but I think the writers were trying to promote a different message.

clemente 09-28-03 09:23 PM

I watched the first two episodes this weekend. Not spectacular, but its good. I definately enjoyed the second episode more than the first. Unlike some new shows that have shown signs of tiring there concept after two episodes, this one at least has the potential to remain fresh throughout its run....however long that may be.

But what happened to the deaf girl?
I found her very peculiar in the first episode, I thought it pretty novel, but she was nowhere to be seen in episode 2.

Patman 09-30-03 08:32 AM

Episode 1.2

I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy this show on a weekly basis. It's not bad while watching, but I find it doesn't leave you with much to digest afterwards either.

Maybe it's a little too slick, and things are too easily uncovered. After a while, perhaps the procedural aspects of hunting down terrorist will get old.

movielib 09-30-03 10:02 PM

You are so right. But yours is not just "another" message, it's the correct message. The show got it wrong, like those stupid antidrug commercials awhile back.