The O.C. - any good ?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The O.C. - any good ?

Old 09-24-03, 02:34 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
The O.C. - any good ?

What is this show like guys and gals ?

wondering if it is worth dl ahem i mean watching ??
Old 09-24-03, 02:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depends on what your tastes are, but I think it's a pretty addictive show. "Watch" the first episode and judge for yourself.

Old 09-24-03, 02:59 AM

Mate, what show(s) is it similarish to ?
Old 09-24-03, 04:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess the easy comparison would be Beverly Hills 90210 because of the same network (Fox) and every "teen drama" after 90210 will forever be compared to 90210.

However, The O.C. not only focuses on the teens in the show, but on the surrounding family members--unlike 90210 who never really had many storylines for the adults like Jim and Cindy Walsh, Nat, etc.

It's sort of cheesy (in a good way, of course), and although it's sort of low on drama (contrary to the writers' opinions probably), it's high on wit (from the character of Seth, played by Adam Brody) and registers a solid 8 on the Richter scale for hot babes (namely Summer, played by Rachel Bilson).

I've compared the main character Ryan (played by Benjamin McKenzie) to a young Russell Crowe (though others have disagreed with me) so since you're an Aussie, that might be a good thing or a bad thing. So far, he and the main girl (Marissa, played by Mischa Barton) have a crappy storyline (IMHO), but hopefully it'll get better. The show is best when Seth and Summer share screentime and trade banter.

If you're looking for high quality programming like The West Wing (note: I've never seen The West Wing, but I assume it's quality programming because of its many Emmy nominations and wins), this ain't it. But if you're looking for an entertaining look at high society in the southern California area, this show might be for you.

Old 09-24-03, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think OC is pretty addictive myself. I like the dad Sandy, he cracks me up....
Old 09-24-03, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Knots Landing meets Beverly Hills 90210.
Old 09-24-03, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by immortal_zeus
(note: I've never seen The West Wing, but I assume it's quality programming because of its many Emmy nominations and wins)
Yeah - that means A LOT! That show is coasting on its laurels. The Sopranos gets best director and best writing but West Wing is the best drama? Please! I suppose that means we're supposed to accept that Everyboy Loves Raymond is the BEST comedy on TV too and Wayne Brady is the funniest male comedic actor.

The Emmy's are a popularity contest. Winning one these days doesn't actually denote/signify QUALITY in any way! [Homer voice]Stupid wide-sweeping academy qualifiers.[/Homer voice]

Last edited by rfduncan; 09-24-03 at 08:02 AM.
Old 09-24-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Original Desmond
Mate, what show(s) is it similarish to ?
I didn't like it, but my fiance is hooked. I'd say that it is like 7th Heaven meets 90210 and Knots Landing and they have a nasty threesome.
Old 09-24-03, 01:29 PM

hotties ?
Old 09-24-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth rfduncan •<HR SIZE=1The Sopranos gets best director and best writing but West Wing is the best drama?<HR SIZE=1>

Again, you should check your information. The West Wing won Best Direction in a Dramatic Series, and IMO, rightfully so.

das
Old 09-24-03, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Summer (Rachel Bilson) and Marissa (Mischa Barton) are hotties.

Even the moms are MILFs: Kirsten (Kelly Rowan) and Julie (Melinda Clarke) .
Old 09-24-03, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by das Monkey
The West Wing won Best Direction in a Dramatic Series, and IMO, rightfully so.
Whatever - living in DC, I find the show to be as much of a self-earnest joke about as realistic as 24.

My point was that one person's trash is another person's treasure. Comparing O.C. to West Wing in terms of "quality television" is completely subjective. But thanks for correcting me das while managing to slip in your own objective opinion of West Wing.
Old 09-24-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth rfduncan •<HR SIZE=1>But thanks for correcting me das while managing to slip in your own objective opinion of West Wing. <HR SIZE=1>

Anytime.

das
Old 09-24-03, 03:21 PM

I like it too... you should watch it..only it won't be back on air till October. It is going on a short hatuis because of baseball