DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Help me get selected for Amazing Race 5 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/319552-help-me-get-selected-amazing-race-5-a.html)

bralph 09-23-03 01:07 PM

Help me get selected for Amazing Race 5

My brother and I plan to submit an application to be contestants on Amazing Race 5. As part of the process, we have to submit a 3 minute videotape featuring the two of us telling them why we should be selected.

While we want to be creative enough to differentiate ourselves from the scores of other tapes, we also recognize that there is a fine line between being creative and looking stupid. We won't be able to film anything until next weekend, but we want to get our ideas together well in advance.

I have a couple ideas that mostly revolve around how well we sit around airports and ride in cabs. Of course, this could offend as easily as it may humor, but poking fun at things is definitely part of our personalities.

Here are the guidelines directly from the application:

CONTENT: In three minutes you and your partner need to tell us everything we need to know about why you would be perfect for this race. Remember, personality counts!

Any other ideas?

das Monkey 09-23-03 01:11 PM

Find a gimmick. <i>The Amazing Race</i> needs to be able to promote you as "the gay guys" or "the virgins" or "the dickwads" or "one brother's straight, the other's gay" or whatever. You don't have to harp on it, but make sure you have some quality about you (that is clear from your application) that they're going to be able to sell.

das

CharlesC 09-23-03 01:19 PM

I think lots of quick scenes edited together would be better than one long 3 minute take.

bralph 09-23-03 01:28 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Find a gimmick. <i>The Amazing Race</i> needs to be able to promote you as "the gay guys" or "the virgins" or "the dickwads" or "one brother's straight, the other's gay" or whatever. You don't have to harp on it, but make sure you have some quality about you (that is clear from your application) that they're going to be able to sell.

das

We thought about this, and it is our biggest obstacle. We're both married, gainfully employed, and get along well together. They don't seem to focus on this exclusively though, because David/Jeff (the goats), Kelly/Jon and the air traffic controllers were largely "normal".

das Monkey 09-23-03 01:40 PM

The air-traffic controllers were old and couldn't walk, Kelly and Jon had a very antagonistic relationship, and the goats were the generic "friends." You're right that it's not exclusive, but I think your chances will be better if you find something about the two of you that they can sell. Perhaps you could have a chip on your shoulder about something? :) You're a little bit country; he's a little bit rock n' roll? Something? :)

das

Y2K Falcon 09-23-03 01:43 PM

Originally posted by CharlesC
I think lots of quick scenes edited together would be better than one long 3 minute take.
Oh, and make the music track you play over it REALLY LOUD! (or maybe that's just my TV when I watch AR)

bralph 09-23-03 01:54 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Perhaps you could have a chip on your shoulder about something? :)
das

When we were little, he poked holes in my drum set. :grunt:

You're right though, we need to find a hook. They really don't care why we want to be on the show, they want to know why they should put us on the show...

Chew 09-23-03 01:58 PM

Maybe you could get those directors from Project Greenlight to edit together the tape.

They know how to win and they need the work. :D

Groucho 09-23-03 02:48 PM

Make up a story that hard for them to verify:

He caught you cheating with his girlfriend, whom you married soon after. He then married on YOUR ex-girlfriends. You have been estranged for years, and hope that competing together on the show will help heal some old wounds.

das Monkey 09-23-03 02:52 PM

The two of you hate each other with a passion (for the above reasons perhaps), but he needs a kidney, and of course, you refuse to give it to him. With the prize money, he can afford to buy one ... yours. If you win, you get to keep all the money, and he'll get one of your kidneys. If you lose, well, that's a shame for him.

Then leave the door open that <i>perhaps</i> competing together in this format will heal old wounds and warm your heart, and you'll give him the kidney anyway ... perhaps.

das

bralph 09-23-03 02:54 PM

Originally posted by Groucho
Make up a story that hard for them to verify:

He caught you cheating with his girlfriend, whom you married soon after. He then married on YOUR ex-girlfriends. You have been estranged for years, and hope that competing together on the show will help heal some old wounds.

That's funny, because we thought about making up an "estranged brothers" angle (not exactly as you described though). Don't really want to lie to them though (too much...)

Roto 09-23-03 02:54 PM

This hanging around airports idea...are you sporting the Hare Krishna hair-do and handing out pamphlets?

Are you prejudice against anyone? That could help. Are you a compulsive liar, do you cheat at Monopoly? You sound way too boring to be on the show...sorry ;)

Groucho 09-23-03 02:57 PM

I told my wife she should try to go on the show with a single friend of hers and they could pretend they were both Utah polygamist wives of the same husband (me).

~~ PAL ~~ 09-23-03 02:57 PM

Exactly! The key is don't be normal. People that got on AR 4 are who you want to appear to be: none too bright, can't read a map, can't follow directions on a card, can be set off by the littlest obstacles, be a jerk in front of foreigners. :lol: The producers are looking for drama, tensions between partners, because it's very boring to show a team that works perfectly well together. Also, having a sense of humor and the ability to crack funny one-liners should help your cause too.

Groucho 09-23-03 03:01 PM

My guess is that the "Goats" were chosen because the guys appeared to be pretty dim. However, they were also dull and got along together so it didn't work out quite as planned.

Groucho 09-23-03 03:03 PM

How about this: you've just realized that you're gay. Your brother is a fundamentalist Christian. In order to save your soul, your marriage, and your family he hopes that a trip around the world will "cure" you.

~~ PAL ~~ 09-23-03 03:06 PM

That might be too much, unless bralph is really good, it's not that easy to "act gay" for the whole show.

das Monkey 09-23-03 03:11 PM

You're both schizo, channeling two personalities. When one of you is personality A, the other is personality B, and vice versa. This is a pain in the ass for your wives, who are otherwise normal.

das

Patman 09-23-03 03:31 PM

How about just portraying yourselves as slow-witted, dumb-ass rednecks looking for an adventure. And tell them you've never flown on an aero-plane before.

Groucho 09-23-03 03:34 PM

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
That might be too much, unless bralph is really good, it's not that easy to "act gay" for the whole show.
He can drop the act once the race begins. "Hey, what do you know...I'm cured! Let's race!"

Jim 09-23-03 03:37 PM

How about 'aralph and bralph/dvd fanatics, $6.73 average/DVD'. You could scour the globe looking for DVD deals. You could be in the middle of a Detour in India and you stop and check out the prices on a bootleg OOP Criterion at some hole-in-the-wall stand. Or on your way to the pit stop you stop at Al's DVD Barn letting other teams pass you by. Or calling in a 23E to a Panamanian CH operator from an airport in Bulgaria.

djbrown 09-23-03 04:23 PM

Does this remind anyone else of the Jennifer Love-Hewitt "Let's Make it Happen" sketch on SNL a few years back where it was a game show where you pitched ideas to a network exec (Lorne Michaels)?

djbrown 09-23-03 04:25 PM

My guess is that the "Goats" were chosen because the guys appeared to be pretty dim. However, they were also dull and got along together so it didn't work out quite as planned.
actually, it turns out that David/Jeff and Chip/Reichen were "cast" for TAR4 and didn't go through the formal application/interview process etc.. but were discovered at a LA-area night club. That's what I remembered reading on TWoP a month back or so.

chowderhead 09-23-03 04:50 PM

As has been mentioned, this show is looking for variety in personality or "a gimmick"
3 out of the 4 seasons, teams comprising of 2 youngish guys won. A mixed gender, youngish team won (well Zach won, Flo was dead weight) season 3. I want to see an all women's team win or an older couple (and I will bet that the producers are trying hard to do this i.e. shorter sprints to the finish line, dumber all male teams, etc).
The perfect gimmick IMO would be to partner with a complete stranger. I think the producers would love to film the dynamics of two complete strangers trying to work together.

Anyway, back on point, I think that the producers are not going to pick smart, young athletic all male teams. I think that you have to come up with a gimmick i.e. clowns, air traffic controllers, twins, etc - something that you or your brother is or does. I don't think you should be afraid to offend or be brash with jokes if that is your personality.

anyway, good luck. It would be cool if someone from DVDtalk ended up on this my favorite reality show! :)

adamblast 09-23-03 05:03 PM

How about this: you've just realized that you're gay. Your brother is a fundamentalist Christian. In order to save your soul, your marriage, and your family he hopes that a trip around the world will "cure" you.
I'm still waiting for the team called: TWINS/HAVING SEX...