Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Annoying Advertising technique

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-03, 09:15 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
They might as well just show the letterboxed versions of the movies, and occasionally put ads in the 'black bars'. While this still sucks, at least it 1) would offer the OAR and 2) would eliminate any hideously distracting 'squishing'.

Originally posted by Wizdar
I managed to catch a Nip/Tuck promo on the lower right corner of the screen a coupla days ago, complete with very annoying scissors noises.
I hate this! Sitting through the Labor Day 24 marathon I must've seen this Nip/Tuck thing about 100 times. A few times it even blocked onscreen location titles. How is this supposed to make someone want to watch something? "Wow, a scissors noise and a big graphic blocking the show I'm trying to watch... I'll have to check this show out!" Sad thing is I bet Nip/Tuck had obtrusive 24 promos with an annoying clock ticking or something, ensuring the cycle never ends.
Old 09-24-03, 06:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Draven
What should they do instead?
They should suck my @(%^, maybe?

What? You think if I fast-forward commercials, there's gonna be a bunch of ad execs standing on street corners holding up "Will work for food" signs?
Old 09-24-03, 06:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'd rather have people using real-world products than listening to their Sorny stereos.
lol.. i hate that too!!
Old 09-24-03, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally posted by Wizdar
They should suck my @(%^, maybe?

What? You think if I fast-forward commercials, there's gonna be a bunch of ad execs standing on street corners holding up "Will work for food" signs?
If everyone does (and it's possible that someday, nearly everyone will be able too) then the advertisers will start pulling out.

Why pay for something that no one is watching?
Old 09-24-03, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If everyone does (and it's possible that someday, nearly everyone will be able too) then the advertisers will start pulling out.

Why pay for something that no one is watching?
Anyone can now. VCRs have a fast forward button. This tech is 25 years old (or more). AFAIK no advertiser has pulled out yet. This looks like a false dilemma created in an attempt to justify stealing in-program screen real estate for advertising. I'm not buying. If networks have financial difficulties I suggest they find another solution because if this intrusive crap becomes the standard I won't be watching. It could be that I'm alone in this opinion... but I doubt it.
Old 09-24-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Originally posted by Easy
Anyone can now. VCRs have a fast forward button. This tech is 25 years old (or more).
Comparing time-shifting on a VCR versus a PVR is like comparing apples to Buicks.
Old 09-24-03, 12:03 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
I think in the future television viewing will become polarized. Many cable channels will become subscription channels like HBO and not have any commercials at all except perhaps between shows, while the broadcast networks and some other channels will have more, and more intrusive, advertising.

This will create two distinct TV audiences: 1) those who are willing to pay upfront for (presumably) better shows with no advertising, and 2) those who are either not willing or not able to do so.