DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Alias season 1 - blind buy and slightly dissapointed (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/318839-alias-season-1-blind-buy-slightly-dissapointed.html)

AdamGott 09-19-03 11:03 AM

Alias season 1 - blind buy and slightly dissapointed

Did anyone else blind buy this one? I have never seen an episode but have heard so much about it that I figured it was worth the chance. I have only watched the first disc (first three episodes) but they are, so far, not very good. They all seem to have the same plot and really are not very compelling. I normally like most media set in these 'spy' environments but this one is nearly putting me to sleep.

Does it get any better or should I just quit now? I only paid $30 for the box and can probably get back what I paid for it.

MKSilv 09-19-03 11:17 AM

Adam,

I am also bought this blind and had the exact same reaction, but my wife liked it so we kept watching. All I can say is stick with it. I am throught the 1st 12 episodes and feel like it definitely picks up steam. I now look forward to finishing the set.

Sessa17 09-19-03 11:26 AM

Re: Alias season 1 - blind buy and slightly dissapointed

Originally posted by AdamGott
Did anyone else blind buy this one? I have never seen an episode but have heard so much about it that I figured it was worth the chance. I have only watched the first disc (first three episodes) but they are, so far, not very good. They all seem to have the same plot and really are not very compelling. I normally like most media set in these 'spy' environments but this one is nearly putting me to sleep.

Does it get any better or should I just quit now? I only paid $30 for the box and can probably get back what I paid for it.

Just quit now, b/c it's clearly not your type of show, what TV show randomly changes everything after the first 3 episodes? I blind bought it & & had the exact opposite reaction as did almost everyone here if you do a search & see everyone's opininons on the show. I thought the pilot was incredible, the show is not all action, rather it is very heavy on drama, character development & plot twists, so it will continue to put you to sleep. I mean the first episode
Spoiler:
Kills off what it built to be a major character, has a pretty severe torture scene for basic tv, has some pretty good action, & has several plot twists
. If that is boring to you then this show is just going to get way more boring.

Superman07 09-19-03 11:32 AM

Buddy, if you quit now then you don't know what you're missing. I bought it too, but haven't watched much - however, I've already seen all the eps. Being over a year and a half ago I can't exactly remember what happens when and where. However, I do know that this show is up there in the best. Starting this new season I would say it ranks #2 on my list of shows to watch.

Please don't kid yourself and give it a longer chance. You won't be disappointed.

dgmayor 09-19-03 11:44 AM

bearfoot?

PalmerJoss 09-19-03 11:56 AM

I hadn't seen all the episodes from the first season, so it was a bit of a blind buy for me also. My only gripe is that to me the show was predictable. Every single time the writers spent time developing a character or a plot point I guessed what the twist was going to be. An example that pops into mind is
Spoiler:
when we meet Noah Hicks, played by Peter Berg, I figured out very early on that his character was not only duplicitous, but was also the infamous Snowman hitman. Another major example was that I figured out very early on that Sydney's mother was alive and well. The writers spent so much time talking about her character that it became blatantly obvious to me that she was alive.
It became a game between my wife and me to guess what the next plot twist was going to be.

That aside, what kept me watching was the excellent character development. I loved watching some realistic character interaction between Sydney and her friends. I also grew to love and feel truly sorry for Jack throughout the course of the season. I'm anxious to pickup Season 2 when it comes out in December for that sole reason.

das Monkey 09-19-03 12:10 PM

May as well bail now. That's what the show is. Personally, I think given the approach it has set for itself, there's no show that has ever done it better, but for better or worse, this is a suspend-your-disbelief action-packed spy show. It has excellent character development and solid drama, and it is what it is. If you didn't like the first episode, you're not going to like the rest of it. Along with <i>The Shield</i>, it was my favorite new show of two seasons ago, but until the Super Bowl episode, the show is pretty consistent in this style of storytelling and isn't going to change into something different with time.

das

FantasticVSDoom 09-19-03 12:12 PM

I agree with Sessa if you dont like it now, you should just quit because it will not be what you want. It doesnt get much different . It is my favorite show, and I dont really know what show on TV that isnt predictable and slightly less compelling than movies, but I understand that everyone has their own "cup of tea" and this just happens to be mine.

das Monkey 09-19-03 12:28 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth FantasticVSDoom •<HR SIZE=1>I dont really know what show on TV that isnt predictable and slightly less compelling than movies<HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>
Oh man ... don't go there, or I may have to throw down. :p

das

kmac 09-19-03 12:28 PM

I also did a blind buy on this. It is now one of my favorite shows.

Ive been so stuck on HBO shows (Six Feet Under, Sopranos and Curb) that I have neglected some really good TV on the networks.

I feel that the networks are having to put better quality shows now that they are competing with the cable networks.

This is definately a great show and worth watching. It my be a combination of other ideas or genres (like Le Femme Nikita, Mission Impossible and so on), but the storylines and characters really push this show.

I will definately be PVRing the new season 3 episodes and watching them after the 2nd season comes out in December.

I appreciate Buena Vista releasing these so close together. HBO should take the same approach and release their sets before the new seasons of their shows.

kmac 09-19-03 12:32 PM

Originally posted by FantasticVSDoom
I dont really know what show on TV that isnt predictable and slightly less compelling than movies
Most of the HBO shows are NOT predictable. I am almost always suprised by the turns their writers take.

das Monkey 09-19-03 12:35 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth kmac •<HR SIZE=1>I appreciate Buena Vista releasing these so close together. HBO should take the same approach and release their sets before the new seasons of their shows. <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>
That would be nice, but HBO re-airs everything in nice marathons on their alternate channels before the new seasons start, so they kind of already have that covered. If you're looking to emulate someone, nothing could be stronger than what has been done with the <i>24</i> DVDs.

das

Doughboy 09-19-03 01:05 PM

I agree that the show doesn't necessarily change all that much during Season 1, but it definitely picks up as the year goes on. I remember feeling a little bit underwhelmed when I first started watching Alias, but once "The Box Part I" rolled around, I was hooked.

After that episode(which is the 12th of the season if I recall correctly),
Spoiler:
the subplots involving Rimbaldi, Sydney's mother, and Mr. Sark all start to pick up.

bboisvert 09-19-03 01:07 PM

Yep, you might as well stop now. There is no radical change in tone during the first season. What you see is what you get. Personally, I was sucked in from the very first moments. Tons of action, surprises, etc. If you are bored with the first episode (which was amazing, in my opinion)... it ain't gonna get better for you.

To eBay... quick! ;)

mookiemeister 09-19-03 01:14 PM

I was hooked on Alias after watching the pilot. I enjoyed season 1 very much. Althought, I'm a bit lost after the end of season 2. I think it's probably because I missed a few episodes and just couldn't put together the big picture. Maybe with the release of season 2 in December, I'll be able to finally clear up my confusion of season 2.

Jericho 09-19-03 02:46 PM

I suspect if Alias continues for a fourth season, that it will fall in line with the 24 release schedule and put out the DVD right before the next season.

I'd agree with what's been said though, the show doesn't change much. I love the show and the pilot, and while it's true that certain things in the early shows come back to be important later, I doubt your opinion would change since the framework is the same.

Can't wait for Season 3...

Nuff 09-19-03 04:23 PM

I blind netflix'ed it and absolutely loved it. But I was hooked by the pilot so my opinion is a bit different than yours. I'd say stick with it through the end of season 1 at least.

shanester 09-19-03 04:45 PM

How can anybody get "bored" watching Jennifer Garner in all those sexy outfits?? (still trying to figure out what that blue dress was made of) :drool:

I never saw this show during it's network run but it works very well on dvd just like 24 because the stories carry over from week to week

Already looking forward to season 2 in December :up:

matome 09-19-03 05:24 PM

I bought it blind as and was pretty disappointed as well. It joined Dark Angel S1 on my "sell it to a friend cheap" list.

THORN 09-19-03 05:29 PM

AdamGott

u have to watch the whole season, it gets much better!!!
and the secon seasond is even greater than the first. it is definatley a show u will get hooked on.

u are correct however , the first few episodes are not the best and i truly think the show would have been so much better had they not told u SD-6 was the "bad guys" untill the first ep of 2nd season instaed of the first ep. imagine if u went through the whole first season thinking she was working for the CIA only to find out in the second season everything is not as it seems to be

kallen 09-19-03 08:58 PM

I received my copy in Taiwan yesterday. I watched the pilot, but I considered that J. J. has made a huge mistake about the setting of the episode. That is, the setting actually is taken place in Hong Kong, not Taiwan mentioned by the characters in the show. I hd that sort of feeling that J. J. had a very sarcastic view of Taiwan (or China maybe?). I just remembered that he did the same thing in one episode of season one's Felicity. Anyway, I like the series very much and will buy the second season as well.

mookiemeister 09-19-03 09:55 PM

Originally posted by shanester
How can anybody get "bored" watching Jennifer Garner in all those sexy outfits?? (still trying to figure out what that blue dress was made of) :drool:

I read somewhere it's made of latex rubber. :drool:

mrcoaster 09-19-03 10:06 PM

I bought Alias s1 mostly blind (the girlfriend's been watching since day 1 and I've caught the occasional ep but not really paid attention).

I just finished the first 3 eps and I'm loving it so far. Can't wait to dive into it further.

DRG 09-20-03 12:32 AM

I loved the pilot, and watched the next 3 or 4 eps, but I quickly found myself with a tape full of eps backed up and realized I just didn't have the desire to keep watching. Might give it a second chance someday, though.

kallen 09-20-03 03:37 AM

That's absolutely true that you have to move on from one episode to another episode since unsolved riddles and twists will be revealed in the next episode. And a lot of truth are gradually told and something unknown and exciting is waiting for you.....But this show has a lot in common with Felicy. Fox example, two African-American women (Elena, Franccie) doubt that their boyfriends could have been cheating to them. The two heroines initially have some kind of misunderstanding with their fathers (Edward, Jack) and then their mutual relationships are developing in a very good and cooperative way. Besides. the heroines have to choose two men whom they seem to have the sort of love triange with. (Felicity & Ben & Noel ; Sydney & Vaughen & Will). It's out of question that the show is also called "Felicity as a Spy.")