DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Which should I buy: Buffy or Farscape? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/318687-should-i-buy-buffy-farscape.html)

Bandoman 09-18-03 04:14 PM

Which should I buy: Buffy or Farscape?

Okay, now that I'm up to date with thew B5 DVDs, I need a new TV show to start collecting. Should my next conquest be Buffy or Farscape? I've never seen one show of either series, but based on raves I've seen here (and you were right about B5, so I'm willing to listen) it sounds like either would be good.

Which would you choose first? Why?

costanza187 09-18-03 04:24 PM

B U F F Y

because it's the best show ever, short explanation...

longer explanation, it mixes everything, you have good comedy, horror, drama, all rolled into one show. Can't beat it!

Chew 09-18-03 04:35 PM

Wow, that's tough.

You can certainly catch up on Buffy fairly cheaply though (Season sets are about $40). Collecting Farscape will set you back quite a bit (Season sets are about $86).

I prefer Buffy. But, each of these shows have plenty going for it and I don't think you could go wrong with either.

nny 09-18-03 04:47 PM

Farscape's really good, but Buffy's one of the best shows ever made. Buffy, no question.

Easy 09-18-03 04:56 PM

Re: Which should I buy: Buffy or Farscape?

Originally posted by Bandoman
Which would you choose first? Why?
Right now you can buy the first four seasons of Buffy at Amazon for $120. Only $100 if you bother with "share the love". That's a no-brainer.

Rypro 525 09-18-03 05:04 PM

how much money do you have. the first season of farscape is 149.99 retail, while the first season of buffy is 39.99 retail.

das Monkey 09-18-03 05:28 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE> • Quoth costanza187 •<HR SIZE=1>longer explanation, it mixes everything, you have good comedy, horror, drama, all rolled into one show. Can't beat it! <HR SIZE=1></BLOCKQUOTE>
You realize you've just described <i>Farscape</i> perfectly?

<b>Bando</b>, that's an incredibly difficult question. I'm biased, as <i>Buffy</i> is one of a very short list of series that I "love," but <i>Farscape</i> is very, very good for different reasons. Each is coming from a different place, but you really can't go wrong with either. Given the pricing of the DVDs, I too would have to suggest <i>Buffy</i>. They're just too inexpensive to ignore, and the <i>Farscape</i> DVDs are the opposite. Of course, the <i>Farscape</i> DVDs do kick some serious ass and are certainly worth the money, but it's hard to pass up the <i>Buffy</i> ones. Also, <i>Buffy</i> has a more general appeal; <i>Farscape</i> requires a more defined taste.

Judging from the posts in this thread, it seems like you're getting a pretty consistent response. I think you'll really enjoy <i>Buffy</i>.

das

Jlbkwrm 09-18-03 05:47 PM

While my <i>Buffy</i> enthusiasm is at an all-time low, and I'm in my starry-eyed first viewing of <i>Farscape</i> on DVD, I'd still go with <i>Buffy</i>.

<i>Farscape</i> will be cheaper to buy when all the boxed sets are out, probably late 2004, and so it's a good idea to just wait until then. The wait between season finale and season premeire can be extremely painful.

<i>Buffy</i> is already pretty cheap, isn't likely to get too much cheaper. It does have a definitive end (whereas <i>Farscape</i> ended with the assumption they'd be back next season), and it even has a very good spin-off to move on to after you catch up.

Get both, but get <i>Buffy</i> first.

Bandoman 09-18-03 06:59 PM

Thanks for the input! Buffy it is.

Next question: where to buy? I saw it today at Best Buy: $39 for S1, and $49 for S2-4. Amazon.com has them much cheaper (as Easy pointed out, all 4 for $120). Where else should I look?

Thanks, everyone.

BTW - there were only seasons total, right?

MEJHarrison 09-18-03 07:17 PM

I've not seen Farscape, but as a B5 fan, I can't recommend Buffy highly enough. In fact, we bought B5 Season 3 the day it hit the shelves. And we're still only up to episode 5 because we can't put Buffy (and now Angel) down. Of course in all fairness, we're just seeing Buffy for the first time on DVD, but we've been watching B5 since it first aired and have seen every episode way too many times to count. If they were both new to us, I have a feeling it would be Buffy collecting the dust. :)

tasha99 09-18-03 07:19 PM

Well, it looks like you've made up your mind, but I'm going to give some belated advice against the grain: I have both Buffy and Farscape and they're two of my favorite shows so I highly recommend either one. However, I watched both last summer, but am only ready to rewatch Farscape--somehow, though both are excellent shows, Farscape is having more resonance a year later. Farscape is also not on TV several times a day. If you have a Tivo, I'd consider taping Buffy and buying Farscape even though I think you wouldn't regret buying them both.

tasha

MEJHarrison 09-18-03 07:21 PM

Originally posted by Bandoman
BTW - there were only seasons total, right?
Seven seasons total. But when you get to season 4, there's the spin off show, Angel. You don't have to get both of course, but there are a handful of crossover episodes and if you like Buffy, chances are you'll like Angel also. Angel is going on season five this year, so I have no idea how long it will run.

Angel season two was just realeased a week or two back. Buffy season five is due Dec 9. I'm not sure about Angel, but Buffy seems to be on about a six month schedule. I'd guess Angel is about the same.

Bandoman 09-18-03 07:29 PM

Oh. This could be an expensive proposition whichever way I go. Thanks.

dolphinboy 09-18-03 07:53 PM

I would die without my Buffy dvds.

Every other show that I own is at least one notch down in importance and overall quality from this amazing, spectacular, mindblowing, life-affirming, wonder of a show.

So, I think you should go with Buffy.

Bandoman 09-18-03 08:19 PM

Can I fully enjoy Buffy without buying Angel? If not, is there a certain order I have to follow (Like Angel season 1 after Buffy season 4, etc.)?

Mourn 09-18-03 08:29 PM

You dont need to watch Angel to watch Buffy... except for the rare crossover, the two almost exist in seperate universes these days. Its not like you'll be unfamiliar with Angel when he does appear.

Its actually kind of funny to think that there are two places in California where potential apocalypses are occuring at the same time.

Jlbkwrm 09-18-03 08:49 PM

You can certainly enjoy <i>Buffy</i> a great deal without watching <i>Angel</i>, but you will miss out on a few things. Aside from the fates of characters who move over to <i>Angel</i>, you also have some 'shared' characters. With one particular character, you'll miss out on quite a bit of growth if you skip <i>Angel</i>. There are also elements of storylines that originate on one show and migrate to the other. It looks like certain elements of the <i>Buffy</i> storyline are going to continue on <i>Angel</i> this season. You will miss out on things if you don't watch both shows (most noticably in BS4-5/AS1-2 and at the tail-end of BS7/AS4), but it's not a requirement to get the show overall. Pleanty of <i>Buffy</i> viewers didn't watch <i>Angel</i>, and there were only a few complaints.

If you do decide to watch both, <i>Buffy</i> S4/<i>Angel</i> S1 and <i>Buffy</i> S5/<i>Angel</i> S2 aired as two hour blocks of entertainment on Tuesday nights. So alternating episodes is ideal, but as long as you keep it close to alternating, you shouldn't miss much. Make sure to watch the <i>Angel</i> S2 finale after the <i>Buffy</i> S5 finale. There's not any real correlation during S6/S3. The episode order in S7/S4 is kind of confusing, given the way they did things, but you wouldn't have to worry about that for a while.

clemente 09-18-03 08:58 PM

Farscape cause no one else has said it...and because I truly believe it. Don't get me wrong, I like Buffy as much as the next guy, but not as much as the obsessed fans found around here.

Both shows when they hit their stride are about as entertaining and dramatic and funny and sad as TV can be. I choose Farscape because when it hit its stride at the end of season 1 it didn't let up, every episode was important and vital and lead to what happens later on. When Buffy hits its stride it still has the occasional pit stop for reptiles, mummies, eggs, and fish. Not that those episodes don't have their moments.

It may seem like nitpicking, but hey, that what you have to resort too when you're talking about these two series cause they don't have much in the way of major flaws.

But, Farscape is really on the pricey side.

turborobb 09-18-03 09:05 PM

I say you should pick Doctor Who!!

oh wait... that wasn't one of the choises :) seriously both Buffy and Farscape are two of my favorite shows (after of course, Doctor Who) You should enjoy either one, they are awesome. Buffy Season 1 is ALOT of fun. it's really a tie, I can't pick between Buffy and Farscape. :)

Can I fully enjoy Buffy without buying Angel? If not, is there a certain order I have to follow (Like Angel season 1 after Buffy season 4, etc.)?
ummm... you could... but watching both is more fun. Buffy Season 4 and Angel Season 1 take place at the same time, so it's best (this is what I did and it was great) to watch them both at the same time, watch the first Buffy episode, then put in the first Angel, then Buffy, then Angel and go back and forth between the 2 sets. that way the crossover stories fit together perfectly.

Rogue588 09-18-03 09:39 PM

lemme throw my 2¢ in...

I started watching Farscape against my will at the end of the second season/beginning of the third. My girlfriend was the one that forced me to do it. By the time the fourth season came around, I was the one rushing home to make sure we were there before it started...

I own the first season box set and pre-ordered the second season and refuse to buy the single discs one at a time.

I started watching Buffy in the middle of the sixth season and enjoyed it immensely. I suppose I would've started watching it sooner if I didn't have such a loathing for SMG [Pre-Internet/All My Children days] It's been an excercise in tolerance. I've learned to push aside my dislike and appreciate things like the writing and Faith.

I own the third & fourth seasons. The third for the Faith eps & the fourth cuz I found it cheap, yet again for Faith & for "Hush".

My heart would say Farscape. But logic says Buffy.

Reason being - Buffy's up to season four on DVD and season five is/was due in December, while Farscape's second season is due in October and then who knows when the third will be out.

Unless you buy neither and wait until their entire runs are out on DVD... ;)

BizRodian 09-18-03 11:43 PM

Can't go wrong with the first three seasons of Buffy, though Farscape, from the very few parts I've seen, does seem great.

fiver 09-19-03 02:33 AM

If your wallet can take the hit, I'd DEFINITELY say Farscape. This was one of the best looking, best written SF shows ever shown on television. It took me a handful of episodes to get into, but when I did this show vaulted into my #2 tv show spot of all time (right behind Babylon 5). When I hit the first season cliffhanger during my initial run-through, my jaw hit the floor with how great it was. My love for this show knows no bounds hehe.

Buffy & Angel are both very good purchases, however. You certainly can't go wrong there; but I think it's important to try and turn someone new onto Farscape:)

Let us know how you enjoy your new series

Michael

crankyman 09-19-03 07:08 AM

i introduced gg to buffy and to farscape. we're now buying all the buffys as they come out and all the angels too. she couldn't get into farscape too much...and frankly neither did i. but that was probably more of a time issue.

so, the question is....how much like gg are you?

bboisvert 09-19-03 10:55 AM

This is like Sophie's Choice. You've picked two of my favorite shows.

Basically, you can't go wrong no matter what you decide. As others have pointed out, you would probably be wise to jump on the Amazon Buffy deal. Getting the first four seasons for $100 shipped (with STL) is going to be difficult to beat.

[And, yes, if you enjoy those... you're going to probably want to get started on Angel. I just finished the Season 2 box last night. Great stuff, that.]

But stay on the lookout for decent Farscape deals too. It's more expensive, but worth every penny. I'd have to say that Farscape is probably my favorite program of all time (more so than even B5 and Buffy, which are both fantastic).

EDITED to add: I forgot to mention that the quality of the Farscape DVDs is fantastic. The picture (and especially) sound quality rivals that of most theatrical releases.

ugabuga 09-19-03 12:39 PM

Buffy is great definitely worth watching. Don't skip Angel either as I actually as a whole think it may be better. Either way can't go wrong