Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

are we more anal about tv shows when they air, over the dvd release?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-15-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

for instance, most of us really like alias season 1 and 24 season 2 but after looking at the original posts for these shows, we were all on them hard, mainly with the nokia product placement in the alias pilot, or the whole cugar trap in 24. but when it came to the dvd, most of us either didn't care, or just say something like "that was dumb, but I still love the show"
Old 09-15-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't speak for others, but I don't believe I've been affected that way. I still think Season 1 of Alias was refreshing and energetic with some filler eps, and I still think that Season 2 of 24 was kickass, but with frequent and annoying flaws ... no matter how many great special features you throw on the discs, it doesn't eclipse the lapse of sanity the writers experienced, and it's going to take a lot longer than a few months before I stop ragging on them for the
Spoiler:
amnesia and cougar trap
storylines.

das
Old 09-15-03, 03:54 PM

Re: are we more anal about tv shows when they air, over the dvd release?

Originally posted by Rypro 525
for instance, most of us really like alias season 1 and 24 season 2 but after looking at the original posts for these shows, we were all on them hard, mainly with the nokia product placement in the alias pilot, or the whole cugar trap in 24. but when it came to the dvd, most of us either didn't care, or just say something like "that was dumb, but I still love the show"
The difference is by the time the DVD sets come out, our opinons are about the seasons as a WHOLE, rather than any moments in individual episodes.
Old 09-15-03, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Also, when the episodes air on tv, they are all new, so worthy of some discussion. Once they come out in season set on DVD, there is not much new stuff to discuss about those same episodes other than to acknowledge that they are out.
Old 09-15-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rypro 525
mainly with the nokia product placement in the alias pilot
I suppose there may be a post out there by me that contradicts this, but I don't think I was giving ALIAS a hard time about this issue, even when the episode aired the first time.

Doing that product placement allowed them to air the first show commercial-free, with an unusual 69-minute running time. I can certainly deal with a little bit of product placement for that degree of creative flexibility on network TV.

Otherwise, I think that Spooky and mookiemeister pretty much sum it up...