DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   MTV's Spiderman cancelled? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/317842-mtvs-spiderman-cancelled.html)

johnglass 09-14-03 10:03 PM

MTV's Spiderman cancelled?

I just read that this past Fridays episode of Spiderman was the last in the series. I thought the website I was reading (AICN) was referring to the season, but they seem to believe the series is over. Is this true? I thought this was a great show, sucks to see it off the air just as I was getting into it.

Jackskeleton 09-14-03 11:33 PM

I wouldn't trust everything you read on AICN.

LivingINClip 09-15-03 04:07 AM

I hope so. I thought it was a disgrace to the Spiderman franchise (much like Rami's first movie).

Morf 09-15-03 07:45 AM

Originally posted by LivingINClip
I hope so. I thought it was a disgrace to the Spiderman franchise (much like Rami's first movie).
:crap:

Here's hoping that it comes back. It was a fresh and interesting take on Spider-Man (yes, there is a hyphen in his name). This cartoon was by far the truest to the Spider-Man comics as far as writing, dialogue, and personas are concerned.

resinrats 09-15-03 08:42 AM

I had heard that last Friday's episode is the season finale, not series finale. MTV tends to have short seasons compared to other networks. If it goes on, the are in the process of making new ones now.

Chew 09-15-03 08:44 AM

Originally posted by Morf
:crap:

Here's hoping that it comes back. It was a fresh and interesting take on Spider-Man (yes, there is a hyphen in his name). This cartoon was by far the truest to the Spider-Man comics as far as writing, dialogue, and personas are concerned.

:up::up:

I enjoyed it and hope it comes back for a second season. Although, I would like to see more Bendis scripts (that is, if he can find a way to take the time for them).

CharlesC 09-15-03 09:42 AM

I hope its not cancelled. I really really like the last two episodes. They were the best yet.

Deftones 09-15-03 03:17 PM

I liked this also. It felt "true" to the comics.

Thrush 09-16-03 12:20 AM

Originally posted by LivingINClip
I thought the show was pretty good. However I agree with you about the movie.

Jackskeleton 09-16-03 01:33 AM

Funny, I haven't seen Aunt May in one single episode of this out of order MTV crapped on series. It's a good show, but not the tell all, end all adventures of spidey.. then again it depends on when you jumped on the spidey wagon and read the comics. a lot of history to go through. I dislike the fact that MTV screwed up the air date order and just pulled one out of their own arse. screwing up story build ups and relationship stories. not to mention villian back grounds and then showing the villian drinking coffee with the hero again a couple episodes after he has been turned to a freak.

Revoltor 09-16-03 03:00 AM

It's not a "thread crap" when it's true.

The show was a trainwreck. I'm not surprised by the decision at all.

Morf 09-16-03 07:34 AM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Funny, I haven't seen Aunt May in one single episode
So? There are more comics without Aunt May than with Aunt May. It seems to me that you are ragging on the show because of the fact that MTV is airing it (and out of sequence), and not judging the show on its merits. Get past the fact that it is CGI and that it is not the fun-loving Spider-Man that you saw in the 70s and 90s cartoons. Also come to the realization that almost all shows air their episodes out of sequence, especially in the first season.

Originally posted by Revoltor
The show was a trainwreck. I'm not surprised by the decision at all.
And let me remind everyone that so far, the cancellation of the show is just a rumor. In fact, the cartoon was just recently picked up in Canada, which leads me to believe that it is not cancelled; it is only the end of the season.

Revoltor 09-16-03 10:12 AM

The fact that several people believe the rumor is true and are apathetic towards it should speak volumes.

Jackskeleton 09-16-03 10:22 AM

ah, run the shows out of order.. I'm glad we don't get that crap on 24. sure Spidey wasn't as close and important to being shown in order, but when your first episode turns one of peter parkers school mates into a villian that he can't turn back from and five episodes later makes it so that the guy is drinking coffee without any care in the world. It makes you wonder.

Also, when you are slowly leading up to peter and MJ's relationship episode by episode, it throws off the viewers if in one episode they are getting closer and the next they are further apart because it takes place earlier in time.

Lets compare this to say friends. sure a lot of episodes can stand alone, but if you are leading stories in the back ground like that it is a death sentence to do this. Lets say Ross and Reacheal in friends are slowly building a relationship. One episode you see them slowly getting closer. next one it continues and out of no where the next one opens up with Reacheal kissing joey. the following one is reacheal and ross kissing. next up you see joey get in the picture and slowly build ups something.. etc etc. You see the point? people are now confused at what is going on and are turned off because they saw what was going to happen.

Does MTV handle The real world, road rules or any other of their crappy reality based shows. How hard could it be to show this show in order?

Morf 09-16-03 01:14 PM

It is looking less and less likely that the series is cancelled. Now, in addition to the series premiering in Canada very soon, a season DVD is coming out:

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=583

Columbia TriStar has set a date of January 6, 2004 for the first season release of the new animated Spider-Man show. All 13 episodes of the MTV show's first season will be included.

nny 09-16-03 01:37 PM

If the shows are completely done and mtv did air them out of order then mtv really messed up. But, one thing that I think is slightly unique to cg cartoons is the ability to constantly tweak the show. The messed up order of the Spider-man shows pales in comparison to the airings of Roughnecks: Starship Troopers.

Morf 09-16-03 02:02 PM

Originally posted by nny
If the shows are completely done and mtv did air them out of order then mtv really messed up.
Not necessarily. Many times, especially in the case of the first season of a new show, the network makes judgement calls and re-orders the episodes so that the "exciting" or "best" episodes are aired first in order to gain a solid viewer-base. Unfortunately, this means that some backstories get out of whack.

blakader 09-16-03 06:00 PM

I hope the series is picked up for next season. I really enjoyed it.

groovrbaby 09-16-03 07:45 PM

I enjoyed it too. MTV did F with the order, but hey, i never had much respect for the network anyways. Despite the order, i still managed to enjoy this show a lot and i sincerely hope that it gets picked up for another season and bring on the DVDS!!