DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   K Street 9/14 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/317839-k-street-9-14-a.html)

nny 09-14-03 10:58 PM

K Street 9/14

Well, it's not over yet, but I haven't liked it at all. The difference between the actors and non-actors is so huge. I feel like I can see the non-actors constantly reminding themselves not to look at the camera.

Also, the camerawork really draws attention to itself. It gives the show more of a reality show feel. Of course then you see something like the scene where they're worried that the busboy could be wired and it completely ruins the feeling of reality.

Spiderbite 09-14-03 11:06 PM

I tried to watch it but it was too dull. I turned it off.

By the way...why crop it to 1.85 & then show it 4:3? Doesn't make sense to me...

Patman 09-14-03 11:11 PM

The only funny parts were Maggie and Mary telling everyone that James was an addict (when it comes to coaching politicians for debates).

The blue-filtered outdoor shots were distracting, and oh-so-2000.

nny 09-14-03 11:11 PM

It was killing me trying to figure out who Carvell's(sp?) partner was. I just realized who it might've been. Was it Dennis from Ed? I didn't see any info on imdb.

Patman 09-14-03 11:22 PM

Yes, that was Principal Jackass!

Red Dog 09-15-03 09:54 AM

I recorded it and watched the first 5 minutes before I turned it off and went to bed. Pretty boring stuff although I'll try to watch the rest.

marty888 09-15-03 09:59 AM

By the time it was over, I didn't dislike it as much as I did during the first ten minutes. Hardly praise, huh?

I'll give it one more chance.

DeputyDave 09-15-03 10:57 AM

I couldn't get through the first ten minutes (I was tired, though) and I usually like borring political crap.

takamine 09-15-03 01:49 PM

Originally posted by nny
It was killing me trying to figure out who Carvell's(sp?) partner was. I just realized who it might've been. Was it Dennis from Ed? I didn't see any info on imdb.

yes, that's principal jackass from ED! initially, that's why i wanted to check out the show. but, it was so boring! and, was that camera work done that way on purpose? a bit distracting. i won't be tuning in for the next eps.

spainlinx0 09-15-03 02:32 PM

I watched it, but I'm not getting the premise of the show. Are the stories based on actual stories? I don't follow politics closely so perhaps that was the problem. However, I thought the guy who was looking for a job at the end was really funny.

Chew 09-15-03 03:25 PM

Originally posted by spainlinx0
I watched it, but I'm not getting the premise of the show. Are the stories based on actual stories? I don't follow politics closely so perhaps that was the problem. However, I thought the guy who was looking for a job at the end was really funny.
Well, they take "actual" stories and build around it. The debate happened as shown, as did the Dean comments in it.

On a side note: I sure hope this doesn't become the "Howard Dean" show from week to week.

Patman 09-15-03 03:53 PM

That Francisco dude was creepy as hell!

spainlinx0 09-15-03 06:28 PM

Originally posted by Chew
Well, they take "actual" stories and build around it. The debate happened as shown, as did the Dean comments in it.

On a side note: I sure hope this doesn't become the "Howard Dean" show from week to week.

So did Dean actually use that joke from James, or was that just part of the show?

Red Dog 09-15-03 08:50 PM

Just watched the rest - definitely got better as it went on.

Jadzia 09-15-03 10:27 PM

We just watched it and thought it was brilliant. I am a 24-hour news junkie so maybe that helped. But I thought it was cool how it incorporated real people, etc.

I am a huge fanod Soderbergh and I knew he was the executive producer, but while watching it I was really reminded of his work and of "Full Frontal". It was cool to learn in the end that he directed it as well.

My favorite part was the look on Mary Matalin's face when Dean made the Trent Lott comment. I thought all the non-actors did a great job.

I loved seeing Mary MacCormack also, she is great.

Thrush 09-16-03 01:17 AM

Originally posted by Patman
That Francisco dude was creepy as hell!
Very creepy indeed. I was waiting for him to pull out a silenced 9mm and put a couple into someones skull. Either that or strangle a hooker with a piano wire.

Patman 09-16-03 01:33 AM

Francisco: I'm thinking pure unadulterated sociopath!

Tommy Ceez 09-16-03 10:12 AM

So did Dean actually use that joke from James, or was that just part of the show?
Actually theres a minor contreversy brewing from this incident. Dean claimed that the remark was his and then it shows him being coached on Sunday. In addition is looks bad for K-Street - providing free political advice to a potential canidate.

Plus Dean claims to be a straight shooter off the cuff political outsider. Getting lines from James Carville kinda blows that image.

I see this as another "Sports Night" - another 'BRILLIANT!' show that no one can stomach.