Reload this Page >

any early word on HBO's "K-Street"?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 09-11-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw an article on zap2it about it, and wonder if there had been any other early reviews and the like about it.

http://tv.zap2it.com/tveditorial/tve_main/1,1002,274|83307|1|,00.html
Old 09-11-03, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Fixed Link

If I'm not mistaken, the show is largely produced on the fly based on the most current events. As such, I'm not sure they'd have anything significant to preview.

Will it be good? What station is it on, again?

das
Old 09-11-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's on HBO at 10:30pm this Sunday, and because George Clooney and Steven(sic?) Soderbergh are the exec producers I will give it a look.
Old 09-11-03, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey

das
A few reviews of Carnivale have a different take: They essentially say they don't know what HBO was thinking as it doesn't match the quality expected of them.

Doesn't mean I won't be watching both shows though.
Old 09-11-03, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by das Monkey
Fixed Link

If I'm not mistaken, the show is largely produced on the fly based on the most current events. As such, I'm not sure they'd have anything significant to preview.

das
*cough* Arliss *cough*
Old 09-11-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm really looking forward to K Street.
Old 09-11-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Chew •<HR SIZE=1>A few reviews of Carnivale have a different take: They essentially say they don't know what HBO was thinking as it doesn't match the quality expected of them.<HR SIZE=1>

I haven't seen any reviews yet, but if that's true ... all the more reason to watch.

das
Old 09-11-03, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Perhaps the biggest mystery of all is how ''Carnivŕle'' wound up cast as HBO's next big thing -- the show that would fill Carrie and Co.'s Manolos. If you squint, you might be able to see what the network was thinking three years ago when it first acquired the show. (Brown's Brother Justin is delightfully unsettling as the creepy evangelist taking his orders from the wrong superpower, and it's easy to imagine getting tangled up in the show's many insidious loose threads.) But considering HBO's knack for discovering fresh, clean, sharp, and deeply resonant metaphors for modern life in odd but nearby places, its decision seems, well, mysterious.
Link
Grade: C

Sorry to hijack the thread
Old 09-11-03, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/...hbo/index.html

Senators pull plug on filming for new HBO series about lobbyists

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- Senate leaders have told Hollywood heavyweights George Clooney and Steven Soderbergh to stop shooting behind-the-scenes footage in the Capitol's corridors for use in "K Street, " their experimental new HBO series about Washington lobbyists.

The chairmen of the Senate Rules Committee and Ethics Committee -- Trent Lott, R-Mississippi, and George Voinovich, R-Ohio -- sent a letter to producers of the show, telling them Senate rules "strictly prohibit the use of Capitol and Senate space for any commercial or profit-making purpose." The ranking Democrats on both committees also signed the letter.

The newspaper Roll Call, which first reported the story, said HBO has agreed to comply. HBO is a unit of AOL Time Warner, parent company of CNN.

Film crews for the show, which is being produced and directed by Clooney and Soderbergh, have been in the Capitol shooting footage, capturing images of some of the Senate's best known faces, including Arizona's John McCain, New York's Hillary Clinton and Utah's Orrin Hatch.

Soderbergh is the noted Hollywood director of such films as "Erin Brockovich" and "Ocean's Eleven."

The show, which debuts Sunday, is a documentary-style series that bills itself as a "fusion of reality and fiction." Named after the Washington street where many lobbying firms are headquartered, it stars real political consultants and lobbyists, including James Carville, Mary Matalin and Michael Deaver.

A crew from the series, including Clooney, was seen shooting footage at a Democratic presidential debate in Baltimore Tuesday night.
Old 09-11-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That's a shame, and it's a bit hypocritical, but I guess it's also understandable.

das
Old 09-12-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by who me?

The chairmen of the Senate Rules Committee and Ethics Committee -- Trent Lott, R-Mississippi, and George Voinovich, R-Ohio -- sent a letter to producers of the show, telling them Senate rules "strictly prohibit the use of Capitol and Senate space for any commercial or profit-making purpose." The ranking Democrats on both committees also signed the letter.
They should have known better. Only politicians are allowed to make a profit from the use of government property.

Last edited by Just Lurking; 09-12-03 at 04:02 PM.