Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

24 Fans: Season 1 or 2?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Which do you prefer: Season 1 or Season 2?
Season 1
45.90%
Season 2
31.15%
I like them both equally
22.95%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-09-03, 09:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For those of you who've seen both Season 1 and Season 2 which did you think was better?

I just picked up Season 2 on DVD which just came out today based on how much I loved Season 1 and the first 5 hours of Season 2 I was able to catch.

Last edited by Ian11; 09-09-03 at 09:33 PM.
Old 09-09-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Dennis Hopper's horrific accent and the amnesia subplot aside, I thought Season 1 was superior to Season 2. The main reason is that Jack Bauer had a personal stake in what happened that day due to his family being kidnapped.

Whereas in Season 2, Kim's storyline was a major distraction the entire time. Plus I thought they wrapped everything up a little too neatly at the end. It felt like the producers knew they were up against the clock, so they made a bunch of characters backtrack so the day could be over.
Old 09-09-03, 11:42 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The first 12 hours of season 1 were very good. After
Spoiler:
Jack rescued Teri and Kim
it ranged from average to really really bad. Then it picked up again during the last couple of hours.

I didn't think anything from season 2 lived up to the first half of season 1 but it didn't have the lull that happened in the middle that season 1 had.
Old 09-09-03, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yeah, for me, the first half of S1 was fantastic and then it slumped in the middle and picked up again at the end. S2 was more consistant but still had some really lame things (kim and the cougar).
Old 09-10-03, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For me, Season 1 was better overall. Although I hated Teri and Kim with a vengeance(and Teri's little sidestory was a bit on the ridiculous side), I loved Season 1 more than 2 mainly because of Jack. He was a much more believable character in 1 what with his family in constant jeopardy. Plus, I loved watching Penny Johnson Jerald as Sherry Palmer--she was a character that you just loved to hate. All that and Nina Meyers, too, just made it a better season overall for me.
Old 09-10-03, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll echo the previous comments and say that I preferred Season 1 as well. Admittedly, I hated Teri and Kim because they were always crying and whining, but the twists in Season 1 were so damn good. I'll also echo the statement that Dennis Hopper's accent was excrutiatingly horrible. I can't believe nobody on the set told him how bad it was.

Old 09-10-03, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I for one liked season 2 alot better. Season 1 basically told 2 different stories. This was probably because they didn't know if they'd be picked up after 13 episodes, but the season didn't flow together. There are also pretty big plot holes (like why is the airplane never mentioned again). Season two had alot more suspense, i thought. Also, no Terri (but we did have to put up with Kim)
Old 09-10-03, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

There are also pretty big plot holes (like why is the airplane never mentioned again).
That was because of 9/11. The plane explosion was supposed to be a much bigger part of the storyline, but they were forced to abandon that after the WTC attacks.
Old 09-10-03, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ehhh, I guess I'll go with "both equally".

Even though I like the show, both seasons had plenty of:
Old 09-10-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Season one had more bad episodes and amnesia suckiness > cougar suckiness, but season one had higher high points. Tough choice.
Old 09-10-03, 01:08 PM

Easy choice for me...Season 1.

Season 2 was really good up until
Spoiler:
Jack found the nuclear bomb and detonated it
but after that it just got boring until the last episode, which was pretty good.

Season 1 remained tense throughout, except for those few shows where
Spoiler:
Jack's wife got amnesia
Old 09-10-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

what was dumber then the whole
Spoiler:
amnesia subplot
was the scene right before that
Spoiler:
teri leaves the car at the edge of a cliff and says "stay in the car"
Old 09-10-03, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Season 2's HUGE plot-hole was the terrorists in the van who we never heard from again after their one scene.

It's like the writers had no idea what to do with them, so they never brought it up again, hopping the viewers would forget them.
Old 09-11-03, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I thought season 2 was better.... sure, as far as edge of your seat, adrenaline pumping action, season 1 was better, but I enjoyed the characters more in season 2 and despite what some say about the second half being a let down, I like the whole story with Palmer and Sherry and the Cyprus recordings... I thought it was really really good... I love Season 1 but I think overall, Season 2 was better... here's hoping they cut back Kim Bauer's story lines significantly in season 3.

MATT
Old 09-11-03, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can't really judge since I passed on jumping in during the middle of the first season and we watched the entire season for the first time on DVD over one weekend. That was an incredible experience which will never be duplicated
Old 09-11-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No question: Season One
Old 09-11-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No question: Spooks. (Or MI5 to you Yankees.) Spooks makes 24 look like a high school play, and I've seen high school plays better than most of what I've seen in 24.

I agree that Kim and Teri were the worst parts of season one, but season one had some really good cliffhangers in the first half of the series. Season two is much more like the lame sequel that follows. Yeah, it's got some good elements to it, but it's just not as good as the original.

Both of them have some pretty sloppy writing in it as well. Such as in season one
Spoiler:
when Jack is crouching down in the parking lot hiding from the people looking for him and TALKING ON HIS CELL PHONE, as if nobody was going to hear that!
and in season two
Spoiler:
when Kim walks out of the hospital with that little girl. Yeah, the "diversion" was created but as if nobody else in the hospital was advised to watch out for a blonde chick and a 9 year old girl? I MEAN COME ON. LAME LAME LAME.

I haven't finished watching season two yet. Somebody please tell me that dumb ass Kim gets killed a slow, painful death that results in her own sheer stupidity coming to an apex.
Old 09-11-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by movieking
No question: Season One
Agreed, completely.

It was great to see Palmer actually be President, but Season 2 was often downright embarrasing. Between all the ludicrous adventures of Jack's sexy but lackwitted daughter and his cyborg-like imperviousness to pain, injury, the laws of physics and medical science, etc., S2 was a major step back, especially when compared to the sort of high intensity action/drama shows that it's often compared to, (The Wire and The Shield, specifically), which built on strong first seasons with even stronger second ones.

They have some work to do to get the show back on track.

Last edited by Buck Turgidson; 09-23-03 at 05:30 AM.
Old 09-21-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
Season 1. I was on the edge of my seat and ready for more after EVERY episode. Like mentioned above, the only thing I hated was the amnesia plot. It just screamed "HEY WE RAN OUT OF IDEAS FOR THIS CHARACTER."

Season 2 didn't have the originality factor going for it, or the personal crisis for the families of both Jack Bauer and the Palmers. My heart was racing during many episodes of the first season, because mainly you don't know where they are going.

Funny, I didn't think season 2 picked up until the bomb was detonated. I thought it would be interesting to have the US basically start WWIII. I think this show could pull it off. I just thought the whole story of Resa and the wedding and the dad was blah. Kinda routine, I found the riots and the hate crimes because of threat of war a lot more interesting.
Old 09-22-03, 12:47 PM

I liked them equally, season 1 had more of a personal reason for jack to be involved and I liked that, but season 2 had some good action scenes and I liked the fight in the last episode between jack and the other person. I'm planning to have my 24 marathon over the next 2 weeks as I got loads of time off work.
Old 09-22-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth slop101 <HR SIZE=1>Season 2's HUGE plot-hole was the terrorists in the van who we never heard from again after their one scene.<HR SIZE=1>

You imply there's only one? How about people rioting in Marietta at 4am ET when the bomb went off on the other side of the country while everyone was asleep? Or ... how about the chip buried in the guy's spleen so he could conveniently die to serve the plot? Or ... oh, nevermind.

das
Old 09-22-03, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Deciding factor for me...

Two words:

White wifebeater

No... not that asshead Kim babysat for, the shirt she wore.
Old 09-22-03, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by slop101
Season 2's HUGE plot-hole was the terrorists in the van who we never heard from again after their one scene.

It's like the writers had no idea what to do with them, so they never brought it up again, hopping the viewers would forget them.

How is this a plot hole let alone a huge one? The guy got the van to the correct location after his buddies died and we met up with him later in the show with his cargo...are you talking about something different?

Not that there aren't plot holes...
Old 09-22-03, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Quoth slop101 <HR SIZE=1>Season 2's HUGE plot-hole was the terrorists in the van who we never heard from again after their one scene.<HR SIZE=1>

You imply there's only one? How about people rioting in Marietta at 4am ET when the bomb went off on the other side of the country while everyone was asleep? Or ... how about the chip buried in the guy's spleen so he could conveniently die to serve the plot? Or ... oh, nevermind.

das
So..EVERYONE was asleep in Marietta? You dont think that there were a couple people awake who heard about it via the news and woke up their miltia buddies? I mean, how effective can a miltia be if they sleep through everything?

My impression was it was buried beneath the skin, not in an organ or anything. I think the impression was that he would have been tough enough to cut himself open to retrieve the chip when needed.