TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Whoopi Premiere

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-03, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whoopi Premiere

Anybody wathcing this?

Seems like a bunch of one liners. Most are funny but looks like it might get old really fast.

Its in HD, so I will probably keep watching.
Old 09-09-03, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
?? I started a thread on it about 5 min ago.
Old 09-09-03, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry

You beat by a minute.

Asked Mods to merge or lock
Old 09-09-03, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
No I deleted mine..Anyway.

Wow, what a train wreck. So far it is Whoopi's newfound ghetto attitude one minute then the Arab guy makes an Arab joke, then Whoopi, then Arab guy then Whoopi. Ugh.
Old 09-09-03, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well one episode down.

I don't think this will last a whole season. They have used all or nearly every one liner about blacks and arabs (Oops Persians possible).

Not to mention the few sob's and bastards that was sprinkled in.

Once again, it amazing what you will watch because its in HD.
Old 09-10-03, 12:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I didn't think it was that bad. I've never been a big fan of Whoopi, but she was very funny here. The Arab jokes were hammered into the ground though. Yes, he's Iranian, WE GOT IT! I would watch it again to see if it can find its way.

Honk!
Old 09-10-03, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
TiVo caught it. Gave it 3 thumbs down so I'll never have to worry about that happening again.

Bad Tivo.... bad.

-k
###
Old 09-10-03, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I thought it was funny. Whoppi has a good presence for TV. It was better than I thought it'd be. Laughed quite a bit.
Old 09-10-03, 02:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah. For whatever reason, everyone seems predisposed to hate anything and everything Whoopi does, but there was some funny stuff in this episode, and it was certainly a refreshing presence. It's not the kind of thing I'd care if I ever missed, but it certainly didn't suck. I have to admit to laughing out loud when Courtney's white girlfriend showed up and started talking straight from the ghetto.

I like that it's current and unafraid. She hates Bush, he watches The O'Reilly Factor, and there was a wide range of racial humor. I liked how Nasim was carrying that piping like an AK. Most shows would run for cover from this type of stuff. Will it work? I don't know. But I give them some credit for making the effort.

I'll give it another episode or two to see how it goes from here.

das
Old 09-10-03, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Horrible horrible horrible. A white person talking like they are black? Bush/Stevie Wonder jokes? Yo Mamma jokes? All have been done to death.
Old 09-10-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
It didn't completely suck. I really liked the Naseem character.

I'll probably tune in next week.
Old 09-10-03, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty bad. I don't think I laughed once. The laugh track was going crazy, though, so it must have been funny.
Old 09-10-03, 09:47 AM

I can't stand Whoopi at all - never found her funny. The reviews for this show were amazingly critical. However, I thought I'd watch it to see the train wreck, and have to admit, it wasn't as horrendous as everyone says it was (some critics called it one of the worst sitcoms ever made - I know there have been far worse). Granted, it probably will never be among one of my "must see/don't miss" shows (e.g., Scrubs, CSI, Simpsons, etc.) - I may only catch one or two more episodes to give it a fair shake - but I truly expected to be turning it off in disgust after 5 minutes. I was surprised to find that I was able to sit through the entire 30 minutes and even chuckled a couple of times along the way.
Old 09-10-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by das Monkey
Yeah. For whatever reason, everyone seems predisposed to hate anything and everything Whoopi does, but there was some funny stuff in this episode, and it was certainly a refreshing presence. It's not the kind of thing I'd care if I ever missed, but it certainly didn't suck. I have to admit to laughing out loud when Courtney's white girlfriend showed up and started talking straight from the ghetto.

I like that it's current and unafraid. She hates Bush, he watches The O'Reilly Factor, and there was a wide range of racial humor. I liked how Nasim was carrying that piping like an AK. Most shows would run for cover from this type of stuff. Will it work? I don't know. But I give them some credit for making the effort.

I'll give it another episode or two to see how it goes from here.

das
I was not trying to put Whoopi down. I actually watched the whole episode and laughed many times. I just cannot see it lasting a whole season. Compare a bad movie packing all of the good scenes into the trailer with the rate of jokes in this episode.

At the end of the season, Let's up they are still on.
Old 09-10-03, 10:09 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I didn't watch the show, but I heard some hoopla that it made 9/11 jokes?
Old 09-10-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 70 Likes on 59 Posts
there is no god. This show posted a 12.5 (20 Share) in overnight metered markets.
MediaWeek article

I stand corrected re: this show's survivorbility. That was a lot of inital sampling though I don't know if it will last
Old 09-10-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Groucho •<HR SIZE=1>I didn't watch the show, but I heard some hoopla that it made 9/11 jokes? <HR SIZE=1>

I don't remember anything specifically about 9/11, but there was a lot of racial humor. Instead of your typical Black/White stuff, though, they added in the Arab (Persian) element which opened up jokes about terrorism and hijacking stuff. There were some jokes about people thinking all Arabs (and Persians) look alike, and jokes about over-sensitivity (the White guy trying to be too nice to the Black guy routine becomes an Arab routine). There's hoopla?

das
Old 09-10-03, 06:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

It really was as bad as the promo's made it look. I'd give it two more episodes, But i could see NBC keeping it just so they wouldn't have to worry about filling the slot with something else.

Lucky for NBC though... They paid Whoopi with FLOOZ
Old 09-10-03, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
Lucky for NBC though... They paid Whoopi with FLOOZ
I still haven't forgiven her for that. I knew it was a bad idea to convert my savings into strictly Flooz and Beenz.
Old 09-10-03, 11:26 PM
Banned

Yeah. For whatever reason, everyone seems predisposed to hate anything and everything Whoopi does
It's probably cuz she's jewish.
Old 09-11-03, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
@ flooz and beenz

It got good numbers but it is hard to imagine it lasting.
Old 09-11-03, 07:39 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
There's hoopla?
I read on some other message board that some people were boycotting the show because it made fun of 9/11. Obviously, they were misinformed.
Old 09-11-03, 10:29 AM
Cat

It was a one time only show for me. I watched it once and there was nothing in it that would make me come back for another episode. The Arab...sorry..."Persian" guy in it got the only laughs and that will be worn out very quickly. If someone gets pregnant or they throw in a cute kid halfway through the season you'll know it is trouble!

Cat
Old 09-11-03, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Encore showing tonight at 8:25 central. Funny thing TiVo shows is lasting 33 minutes. I don't remember running over Tuesday.

Second chance to reassess.
Old 09-11-03, 10:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 272 Likes on 171 Posts
Originally posted by Cat
If someone gets pregnant or they throw in a cute kid halfway through the season you'll know it is trouble!

Cat
Or if they add this guy, ted McGinley..... he killed Love Boat, Happy Days, Married w/ Children...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.