DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   What Local Stations do you get? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/316336-what-local-stations-do-you-get.html)

RoQuEr 09-07-03 11:30 PM

What Local Stations do you get?

Which local stations are do you get?

Tell me if I missed any networks.

freedexter 09-07-03 11:56 PM

I get them all, except PAX is a cable network here. I think some places have local affiliates. Odd.

I don't know why I need WGN, unless I want to watch a Columbo mystery movie or Home Improvement/Will & Grace reruns. I'd much rather have the old WGN, where they were a WB affiliate and I could catch all my shows 3 hours early.

Jackskeleton 09-08-03 12:47 AM

the real question.. which stations don't play what. Central florida's ABC affliate doesn't show the jimmy kimmel show.

Jobronie 09-08-03 06:33 AM

Originally posted by freedexter
I get them all, except PAX is a cable network here. I think some places have local affiliates. Odd.
LOL. I was just at my parents' cable-less beach house on the MA/NH border, and was grousing because we were able to get at least three PAX affiliates.....

renaldow 09-08-03 08:29 AM

I never realized people outside of Chicago could get WGN locally. I'm assuming the question was for over the air only.

wendersfan 09-08-03 02:23 PM

I don't get any of them. I have a dish, and I don't have an antenna hooked up to either television. I don't like to watch TV that's got commercials in it anyway.

GuessWho 09-08-03 02:31 PM

Originally posted by freedexter
I'd much rather have the old WGN, where they were a WB affiliate and I could catch all my shows 3 hours early.
WGN is still WB for Chicago.... based on my own experience, about 50% of your cable WGN is different from my local WGN. You see our nightly news, Cubs games and some other shows - but we don't get the Columbo movies or Hoime Improvement (those are on a diff local station here)

big whoppa 09-08-03 02:38 PM

You forgot to include PBS. We get all of them locally except WGN, a cable station.

GuessWho 09-08-03 02:54 PM

I get all of the above locally

PhYbEr 09-08-03 03:47 PM

Yeah, I hate it when the national TBS feed shows family guy but our local TBS in Altanta doesn't.. we get stuck with CHIPS! :(

Chad 09-08-03 04:04 PM

I have all the above except WGN. Although it was never "local", the damn cable company removed it from the lineup a couple of years ago and it replaced with The National Geographic Channel.

Geofferson 09-08-03 04:38 PM

All of the above.

Mezzanine 09-08-03 05:54 PM

NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, PBS, UPN, WB, Univision, and MTV2.

Rypro 525 09-08-03 05:59 PM

I get all my local networks and don't have to pay extra. -cracker-

freedexter 09-08-03 06:08 PM

I also get Univision and Telemundo, but I think the reception sucks unless you have cable. They are local affilates, though, not that it would ever of any use to me.

In the late 90s, there was this Internet-esque service that used the broadcast signal from your local PBS station to provide web content to your computer. Obviously, you would need a TV tuner card, but I never really got it work. Also, obviously, it went out of business, since it was sort of a stupid idea. It would have been amusing to see what I could have done with the service, though.

big whoppa 09-08-03 06:25 PM

Originally posted by Mezzanine
NBC, ABC, FOX, CBS, PBS, UPN, WB, Univision, and MTV2.
Univision and MTV2 are cable channels. How are they local to you?

RoQuEr 09-08-03 06:51 PM

Originally posted by big whoppa
ditto about TBS

Mezzanine 09-08-03 07:04 PM

Originally posted by big whoppa
They air on local stations in my area. I know I was surprised the first time I saw MTV2 while flipping through channels since I don't even have cable. One station also ran Shop@NBC for a year or two before switching to an all-religious station.

NC-36 09-08-03 08:02 PM

All delivered via satellite

WXII-NBC (local)
WNBC (NY)
KNBC (LA)

WFMY-CBS (local)
WCBS (NY)
KCBS (LA)

WXLV-ABC (local)
WABC (NY)
KABC (LA)

WGHP-Fox (local)
WNYW (NY)
KTTV (LA)

WYWB-WB (local)
WUPN-UPN (local)
WUNL-PBS (local)
W???-Pax (local)

If I connect my big OTA antenna, I can also get Charlotte, NC's CBS, NBC, ABC and Fox affiliates, but I don't bother since my DirecTiVos cant record them.

DRG 09-08-03 10:54 PM

ABC, NBC, CBS, and Fox are broadcast here; we get WB, WGN, and Pax through canble, but no UPN. Our local Fox and ABC affiliates do get select UPN programming (Enterprise & Smackdown, and Buffy before it ended) that they air at night on weekends.

El Talon Del Monstruo 09-09-03 05:37 AM

Originally posted by Jobronie
LOL. I was just at my parents' cable-less beach house on the MA/NH border, and was grousing because we were able to get at least three PAX affiliates.....

ummmmm.....yeah.....you MUST mean Salisbury Beach (the only beach on the border) and well...I live here...and well....we only have 1 Pax network....1....it still stinks though, it shows paid programs 99% of the time, Daves World sometimes too