DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Monk (08/22) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/313184-monk-08-22-a.html)

Deftones 08-23-03 02:11 PM

Monk (08/22)

A pretty solid episode. Was very funny to see "Mother" from Lucky playing the handyman part. The phone answering thing made me laugh my ass off.

MrX 08-23-03 03:55 PM

I thought it was good.

Eventhough it was in the previews the lineup still had me laughing.

The handyman and the dry cleaning lady were also great.

Chew 08-23-03 04:35 PM

Plenty of good laughs in this one. Enjoyed the cleaning lady and Monk telling everybody about his button. :lol:

freedexter 08-23-03 05:32 PM

Very good "season finale". I can't wait until Winter, when it returns.

I didn't quite get how the couple was able to figure out who was on the jury, though. I might not have been paying close enough attention, but I thought it would be pretty hard to figure out who served on a jury, especially six years ago.

Charlie Goose 08-23-03 11:58 PM

I thought this was the weakest episode of the season. The bit with the handyman's head injury was sitcom slapstick at its worst and does not belong on a show like this.

Spoiler:
The killer manages to kill everyone on the jury except the guy he was after?
He knew the jury was coming over his house to view the scene of the accident, and still leaves his murdered wife's body there, in an unlocked freezer?
He was smart enough to devise separate murders for everyone, but couldn't figure out that the degenerate gambler just might be the one who was blackmailing him?
Monk just happens to lose a button and have it sewed on, in a unique style mind you, by the same woman who once sewed a button in the same style for the killer? Would that hold up in any court in a million years?

That said, the strongest point of this show is the interaction between the four main characters. I really like the chemistry in all the one on one relationships.

http://charliegoose.homestead.com/files/goose.jpg Honk!

Deftones 08-24-03 03:04 AM

Originally posted by Charlie Goose

Spoiler:
The killer manages to kill everyone on the jury except the guy he was after?
He knew the jury was coming over his house to view the scene of the accident, and still leaves his murdered wife's body there, in an unlocked freezer?
He was smart enough to devise separate murders for everyone, but couldn't figure out that the degenerate gambler just might be the one who was blackmailing him?
Monk just happens to lose a button and have it sewed on, in a unique style mind you, by the same woman who once sewed a button in the same style for the killer? Would that hold up in any court in a million years?

It's not CSI or Law and Order. The crimes are somewhat unique and easy to figure out. As Monk says, it's not who commited the crime, it's how. :)

Charlie Goose 08-24-03 08:07 AM

Originally posted by Deftones
It's not CSI or Law and Order. The crimes are somewhat unique and easy to figure out. As Monk says, it's not who commited the crime, it's how. :)
I do enjoy seeing Monk figure out impossible murders from the barest of clues, but the thing with the buttons and the dry cleaner was just too big a coincidence to swallow.

MrN 08-24-03 12:47 PM

Given that Monk is a comedy, they get a little more leeway in some of the coincidences.

I really liked this episode and for once the subplot with the deputy-Mayor was actually interesting (unlike that Sharona's husband returning from a couple of weeks back.)

I liked the 'pipe-guy' - it was just slapstick, but nothing wrong with that once in a while.

DRG 08-24-03 01:02 PM

I have to agree with Charlie Goose here. I didn't start watching the show until this season, and I love it. This was one of the lesser episodes I've seen. Monk was still entertaining, but everything else just didn't work for me. I agree with all of the spoilered points there... the
Spoiler:
button
thing especially bugged me. It was GREAT as a running joke, though.

And the Kenny subplot just didn't interest me at all. Furthermore,
Spoiler:
She starts dating this guy, she's not really interested, then she's in the paper - "Oh, he's running for mayor?" Like she had no idea? And in the end they conveniently pull out the "I'm going to say something really insensitive so the girl finally realizes what a jerk I am" routine, even though he's a politician who should be an expert at carefully wording things to put a positive spin on them.
I like Sharona, but this subplot drew too much attention away from Monk and the main murder.

movieking 08-24-03 07:34 PM

Not the best episode, but still pretty good. Good to see the Lucky castoff in another great series. The dry cleaning lady was funny as well...

Rascal 08-25-03 09:17 AM

I enjoyed the episode. It's nice to see character development in a series. As for the dry cleaner's, didn't Monk say they were the best in town? One would assume other local people would use that dry-cleaner's service. And for Larry, when someone is focused on something (running for mayor), people often loose sight of what's important so he wasn't too forthright with Sharona.

Now, am I going crazy or did I see that the season finale was titled "Mr. Monk gets Married". I thought there was one week left of Monk. So sad. I'll enjoy the repeats though.

Morf 08-25-03 09:27 AM

Good to see Styles from Teen Wolf back on the screen again!

Groucho 08-25-03 09:50 AM

Odd. In both seasons of Monk, the finale has been just another episode. I would have expected him to have found Trudy's killer by now.

freedexter 08-25-03 11:13 AM

Originally posted by Groucho
Odd. In both seasons of Monk, the finale has been just another episode. I would have expected him to have found Trudy's killer by now.
Well, technically, the season is just shortened. They decided to take a break airing new episodes until Winter.

That might be a series finale-type episode, though. I dunno.

zerotl 08-25-03 01:40 PM

Solid episode, reminded me of Matlock. I liked the one from a couple of weeks ago, the one about Charona's sister in a play. Awesome. I've only seen 2/3 episodes so I have lots of catching up...

cdollaz 08-25-03 03:48 PM

I love the show too, but have always wondered how Sharona gets so much action. She is very fugly in my opinion.

Groucho 08-25-03 03:51 PM

Are you kidding? What a MILF...I'd hit it.

Especially if she wore her uniform from A League of Their Own. "There's no crying in baseball!"

Draven 08-26-03 11:28 AM

Especially if she wore her uniform from A League of Their Own. "There's no crying in baseball!"

Very, very true.

I think she's actually getting hotter as the series progresses.

Cusm 08-26-03 01:31 PM

Her clothes add a certain skank quality, this maybe why she gets all the actions.

Charlie Goose 08-26-03 02:00 PM

Me too. Then I would ask her for one of Monk's wipes to clean off my willie.