Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

NBC Shows no respect for Bob Hope

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-03, 02:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NBC Shows no respect for Bob Hope

I can't believe that there is no thread on this subject,Bob Hope had a contract with the NBC network for 50 years(or more?) and was a cornerstone with numerous specials through the years up until a decade or so ago.And all we get from NBC this evening are the usual mind-numbing "reality" crap for the whole evening.At least Leno showed some class and talked about it.Even CBS did a special 30 min. 48HRS on Mr. Hope.This is really disgraceful by NBC.
Old 07-29-03, 03:41 AM
AJW
DVD Talk Special Edition

[sarcasm] Well NBC did delay the start of Fear Factor for a whole two minutes to give their tribute to Mr. Hope. {/sarcasm}
Old 07-29-03, 04:18 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
This doesn't surprise me at all. What would is if they actually preempted the night for old programming or tributes that i'm sure they've had ready for a while now..

Leno? and class? in the same sentence? Didn't see Dave's monologue, but when I tuned in [around 12:10a -- right before the scientist guy] he and Paul were still talking about Bob.

Don't take it to heart AlainDelon. Pretty soon you'll get the members that see nothing wrong with this. But, you're right...he had the longest contract with ONE network EVER [it was either 40 years or 60]. That was the least they could've done. I've given up hope that respect will be shown.

At least they could've given him two and a half minutes..
Old 07-29-03, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Even if you don't count the whole "contract" issue, NBC showed its true colors so to speak. By all means lets show another episode of an entirely forgettable reality show instead of paying a real tribute to a man who entertained generations of people and was a true class act.

Maybe if you are under 20 you don't have fond memories of Mr. Hope, but I do remember watching all his specials with my now deceased Dad. I somehow don't think I will ever feel that way about 99% of the garbage they show on TV now.

Shame on you NBC .
Old 07-29-03, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
In all due respect, they do have things ready for when famous folks are going to bite the big one (CNN's website images for one) but not all networks and stations are ready for everyone's demise. in their defense.. what if they didn't have one ready?
Old 07-29-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
In all due respect, they do have things ready for when famous folks are going to bite the big one (CNN's website images for one) but not all networks and stations are ready for everyone's demise. in their defense.. what if they didn't have one ready?
The man was 100 years old. Do you really think NBC could have been caught offguard by such a sudden and premature death?
Old 07-29-03, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I'm one of the members that see nothing wrong with it. I'm too young to really know anything about Hope, but regardless it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. I just don't understand or agree with a demand for a tribute, at least right away. Maybe they're taking the time to produce something better instead of scrambling to find a couple of people that could say a few words while video clips air. Might as well do a good tribute if you're going to do one at all.

I don't know, i don't see a "disgrace" because NBC doesn't throw up a cheesy 30 minute tribute show on the same day.
Old 07-29-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm guessing there will be a big Bob Hope retrospective special coming soon on NBC, probably a Sunday night kind of thing. Maybe they didn't want to blow their wad.
Old 07-29-03, 11:12 AM

I'm sure NBC has a special ready to air at some point...they probably want to advertise it though...had they aired something last night, not many people would have known it was on. Besides, didn't NBC air a wonderful Sunday night retrospective for Hope back during his 100th birthday? I seem to remember something along those lines...

Also, Hope's death was covered extensively on MSNBC, NBC's cable news network.
Old 07-29-03, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally posted by fumanstan
I'm one of the members that see nothing wrong with it. I'm too young to really know anything about Hope, but regardless it doesn't seem like that big of a deal. I just don't understand or agree with a demand for a tribute, at least right away. Maybe they're taking the time to produce something better instead of scrambling to find a couple of people that could say a few words while video clips air. Might as well do a good tribute if you're going to do one at all.

I don't know, i don't see a "disgrace" because NBC doesn't throw up a cheesy 30 minute tribute show on the same day.
Instead they gave him a FULL two minutes.

If it doesn't seem like "that big of a deal" to you, nothing anyone says will change your mind/convince you. [I don't mean that as a slam against you]

But please note that AlainDelon called NBC to task [he didn't say ALL network television should preempt their normal schedules to pay its respects] and that it was sad that networks other than the one he spent close to half his life working for*, chose to virtually ignore him -- comparatively speaking]

* [And in today's climate, that's a feat that will surely never be repeated..]
Old 07-29-03, 12:07 PM
Banned

Hey, let's also remember that Bob Hope ranked at #152 on VH1's top 200 icons list.

I mean, I guess I understand... we all know that the people in front of him had more of an impact on all areas of entertainment, and have lasted a lot longer than his 80 or so years.

People like Jenifer Lopez, Eminem, Oprah...

Oh, and P Diddy. Yes, rip off other people's music and cash in on your semi-talented, semi-retarded, morbidly obese drug dealing friend's death, and you too can be considered more important than Bob Hope.
Old 07-29-03, 12:16 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by JestersTear
Hey, let's also remember that Bob Hope ranked at #152 on VH1's top 200 icons list.

I mean, I guess I understand... we all know that the people in front of him had more of an impact on all areas of entertainment, and have lasted a lot longer than his 80 or so years.

Oh, and P Diddy. Yes, rip off other people's music and cash in on your semi-talented, semi-retarded, morbidly obese drug dealing friend's death, and you too can be considered more important than Bob Hope.
Yeah - but at least he MADE the list. I can think of a dozen folks who didnt make the cut who should have - only proving that VH1 has lost their minds.

As for the snub, while I'll freely admit that Bob and his body of work didn't have all that big of an impact on me and my life, but I do know a class act when I see one. It's a shame that NBC couldnt be bothered to do the right thing and bump Friends for an evening. I'm not surprised, mind you - but I still think it sucks.
Old 07-29-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Originally posted by JestersTear

Well, you know that it is mandatory that the entire entertainment industry kiss Emimen and Piss Doodie's (or whatever he calls himself these days) asses. I think Congress passed a law. They are to be constantly hailed as genuises.

My God, man, where have you been?
Old 07-29-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Actually, it was a repeat of Fear Factor and new eps of For Love Or Money 2 & Will You Marry My Dad? or whatever the hell the name of the show where the kids pimp their dad out is...

I watch Fear Factor so anything derogatory I say against it would smack of hypocracy. But, it was a REPEAT for chrissakes.

If they were intent on showing their HIGHLY rated, groundbreaking* reality shows, they at least had the 8p-9p slot to play with..

* [Insert sarcasm smiley]
Old 07-29-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,725 Likes on 1,881 Posts
Maybe they'll make it up by: [WARNING - POOR TASTE FOLLOWS]

Spoiler:
Having the next season of Fear Factor open with contestants having to spin a wheel and eat parts of Bob Hope's dessicated corpse.

"Oh, Julie! You got the eyeball! And you thought Greg having to eat his tongue was gross!"

When does that fifty year contract end, hmm?
Old 07-29-03, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
They need the time to hype it, probably making it a 2 hour Dateline special then to re-air his 100th birthday celebration right afterwards. That just screams Sunday night 7 - 11 block.
Old 07-29-03, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
• Quoth devilshalo •<HR SIZE=1>They need the time to hype it, probably making it a 2 hour Dateline special then to re-air his 100th birthday celebration right afterwards. That just screams Sunday night 7 - 11 block. <HR SIZE=1>

Plus, they need to fly in the casts of Friends and Coupling to host the special for the purposes of cross-promotion! Oh, how I love NBC.

das
Old 07-29-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NBC also had a 10 second spot between the 9pm and 10pm slot. They showed his picture and said something sappy. I don't find anything wrong with not showing a special. I would much rather see a dedicated 1-2 hour long special very well done than a 30 minute deal that was put together quickly.
Old 07-29-03, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 265 Likes on 168 Posts
Short term memories...

NBC had a GREAT tribute to Bob Hope which they aired TWICE in May in honor of his 100th.
Old 07-29-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by GuessWho
Short term memories...

NBC had a GREAT tribute to Bob Hope which they aired TWICE in May in honor of his 100th.
That is an even bigger reason that they could have done something more fitting last night. Even a 30 minute tribute could have been done in a classy way using some of that footage. The ironic thing is that Bob himself probably wouldn't have been upset.
Old 07-29-03, 03:19 PM

And how many of you guys tuned in for the last Bob Hope special NBC ran?

Yep...that's what I thought!
Old 07-29-03, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
I agree. They should've gone dark for 30 minutes.

Bob deserved something about that big. Especially from the Peacock Gang.
Old 07-29-03, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry I don't think we need to interrupt programming for Bob Hope. That's why we have the news and 24 hour news stations and even shows as Entertainment Tonight.
Old 07-29-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Anybody wonder why in all those movie/tv clips we never saw him with a beard or mustache??..I just think that's odd..Maybe because shaving is such a pain in the ass for me that if I live to be a 100 i'm gonna let myself go at some point you know....

..Sorry I got off topic..