DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   The Venture Bros. on Adult Swim (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/307750-venture-bros-adult-swim.html)

Tuan Jim 07-28-03 07:03 AM

The Venture Bros. on Adult Swim

I think I had seen clips from this before -- they said something about this being the first time they showed it unedited -- either way, this was freaking hilarious.

Hardy Boys meet Johnny Quest. I was rolling the entire time. Even better than the Harvey Birdman/Johnny Quest episode. The voice acting is perfect and the jokes were great. Can't wait for this to show up in Feb. 2003, or 4.

http://www.thetick.ws/vbros.htm

PixyJunket 07-28-03 07:37 AM

My roommate watched it and said it was alright.. I was getting ready for bed when it came on so I only saw biuts of it.. looked pretty strange but in the style of Adult Swim's shows.

Tuan Jim 07-28-03 08:46 AM

Yeah, it's pretty weird, but the visual style and humor are both really well done. I guess you could say that it's following the earlier Adult Swim shows as far as general weirdness, but with a much more cohesive story -- also original animation and not the ultra-cheap (though certainly acceptable) visuals of Sealab, Birdman, Brak, etc.

The voice-acting is definitely one of it's strong points, including Patrick Warburton, and co.

The jokes themselves remind me a lot of Futurama (a little dirtier though) -- general mad scientist schtick, crazy violence, etc.

"You have to defile a mummy properly or else they just keep coming back." -- combine with "proper" audio and visual and it's really funny.

It also has that Hardy Boys/Jonny Quest feel at the same time, which makes it a lot of fun and quasi-nostalgic.

Overall, I'd give it at least 7.5/10

Cusm 07-28-03 09:34 AM

I tried watcing this and found it horrible. I love most of the non-anime Adult Swim, HATE the ripping friends. This will definately be one I skip, I kept asking why this could not be a 15 minute series, give us new Home Movies, Sealab, etc.

JestersTear 07-28-03 10:28 AM

Horrid. Absolutely horrid.

Thankfully it was only a one-time thing, the regular series is far enough off for the programmers to come to their senses.

They made it up to us by showing a classic Space Ghost Coast to Coast, though.

calhoun07 07-28-03 03:40 PM

I loved it and I would love it if AS made this into a weekly series.

JestersTear 07-28-03 05:02 PM

Originally posted by calhoun07
I loved it and I would love it if AS made this into a weekly series.
Sadly, unless cooler heads prevail, you'll get your wish in 5 or 6 months.

MrBob 07-28-03 06:40 PM

" give us new Home Movies"

New Home Movies are comming this fall.

Breakfast with Girls 07-28-03 10:16 PM

I found parts of it funny, other parts anti-funny (for example, everything with the prostitute = anti-funny). Although my friend and I did about bust a gut when Samson started gouging out Monarch's eyes.

Slumbering Fist 07-29-03 02:22 PM

I thought it was great. A nice spoof, definitely aimed for more spot-on parody jokes along with the weird/non-sequiter Birdman/Sealab humor. Warburton is perfect. I think if it were trimmed to a 15 min series like most Sunday Adult Swim shows it would be better. I'd love to see more, fits perfectly in the Sun line-up.

cornflakeguy 06-26-06 11:39 PM

The Venture Bros. Season 2 Debut 6-25-06

Did no one watch this? I thought plenty of folks would be chomping at the bit for this. I came in to contribute to the thread that I knew would be here and instead, after searching, I had to create one.

Yes this is an Adult Swim show on Cartoon Network, but this show is 30 minutes long, and it's a coherent 30 minutes, unlike the free-form 15 minutes that Aqua Teen or Sealab strings together.

Yes it's bawdy, and loud, and sometimes violent but dangit it has some of the tightest writing and dialogue I've seen. Call me crazy but it reminds me of the other comedies "The Dick Van Dyke Show" and "Get Smart". Lots of info and dialogue packed in an episode. Some of the characters have this clipped Dan Aykroyd "Joe Friday" style delivery that just makes me laugh.

I don't want to get into writing a synopsis, but if I had to, I'd call it a politically incorrect Johnny Quest for the 21st century. Check it out.

grem458 06-26-06 11:45 PM

I was waiting for it. Probably my favorite Adult Swim show. Glad to see Jonas will be joining the group and the Monarch is escaping. The show just wouldn't be the same with him stuck in prison.

BabiG 06-27-06 12:26 AM

I was waiting for it. Killa Gorilla. :lol: I just didn't like that they used different music for the credits/outro, honestly that's my favorite part of the show.

spainlinx0 06-27-06 12:29 AM

I watched, and thought it was great. I figured they would just reclone Hank and Dean, but I thought it was funny that it wasn't the first time. However that does make me wonder why Dr. Venture needed to go "find" himself if he wasn't that broken up about it afterall. Does he have to find himself everytime they get offed?

Did they use a different voice for Jonas? I thought I liked the voice from the last episode of the season better. Overall I was glad to have the show back, and I never tire of the Monarch so I'm happy to see he's back.

Derrich 06-27-06 02:02 AM

I think Dr. Venture was more broken up about his new brother who was better than him at everything.

D

Chew 06-27-06 06:01 AM

Good return, just not very funny. About the best was the sequence of deaths. Apparently, the show suffers from the absence of the brothers more than I thought.

Frenzy 06-27-06 06:16 AM

Hooray, it's back. Didn't notice that.

Cusm 06-27-06 08:42 AM

Glad to have it back and I thought the episode was great. Loved the 2 employees flashback with Rusty.

bboisvert 06-27-06 09:53 AM

Didn't even realize this was happening... I'll have to catch it later, I guess.

spainlinx0 06-27-06 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Chew
Good return, just not very funny. About the best was the sequence of deaths. Apparently, the show suffers from the absence of the brothers more than I thought.

I love the brothers, and I definitely know what you mean. The episode where they had the bet, and had to drink that stuff was classic. They definitely make the show.

Red Dog 06-27-06 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by Chew
Good return, just not very funny. About the best was the sequence of deaths.

Yeah, not one of their strongest episodes, but the death scenes were funny as was the Monarch prison scenes.

Big Boy Laroux 06-27-06 02:54 PM

i thought this was great, including the intro where rusty and Jonas are the new venture brothers.

the death sequence was also great. had to slow it down to see that they were beheaded by a clothesline.

dr. morpheus cracks me up. his reactions to everything were so over the top. hilarious.

Thrush 07-05-06 02:11 AM

2nd ep was definitely funnier than the season premier. I was rolling when the henchman were singing the Star Wars "Bringer of War" theme while they were getting ready.

Chew 07-05-06 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Thrush
2nd ep was definitely funnier than the season premier. I was rolling when the henchman were singing the Star Wars "Bringer of War" theme while they were getting ready.

That was :lol:

2-3 times the funny this week.

darkside 07-05-06 07:34 AM

I love this show so much. So glad they brought it back for season 2.