Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

The Venture Bros. on Adult Swim

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-16, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts
Re: Venture Brothers, Season 6

We are supposed to get another special in-between season six and seven like the previous ones. According to Public and Jackson: they were so busy writing the episodes, they lost track of the episode orders. This is why it felt odd as a finale. Like they ran out of time and couldn't conclude anything significant.
Old 03-22-16, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Writing approximately 2 hours of content over 2 years does not seem "so busy" to me.
Old 03-22-16, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didn't even realize that was the finale. That sucks.
Old 03-22-16, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

Neither did I. That does suck.
Old 03-22-16, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Loved the last episode but it was a terrible way to end the season.
Old 03-24-16, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by emachine12
We are supposed to get another special in-between season six and seven like the previous ones. According to Public and Jackson: they were so busy writing the episodes, they lost track of the episode orders. This is why it felt odd as a finale. Like they ran out of time and couldn't conclude anything significant.
I'm sure Adult Swim would have been happy to extend the season an episode or two.

Oh well, 8 episodes of this quality is asking a lot for most shows. Better this than nothing.
Old 07-12-17, 08:49 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts

Sadly, this is apparently our most current thread on this show. Sure, 70 or so episodes in 13 years isn't many, but I think this is the best show on television.

Bought the season 6 BD set recently and decided this was good enough reason to start re-watching from the beginning. So many great moments in season 1 so far, just brilliant comedy imho.
Old 07-13-17, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Sadly, this is apparently our most current thread on this show. Sure, 70 or so episodes in 13 years isn't many, but I think this is the best show on television.

Bought the season 6 BD set recently and decided this was good enough reason to start re-watching from the beginning. So many great moments in season 1 so far, just brilliant comedy imho.
I need to go back and rewatch the really early episodes. Sure, they didn't really hit their stride until towards the end of the season, but I'm sure I missed a lot first time around.

Apparently, season 7 started production back in March. So we might actually get new episodes within the next year or two.
Old 07-13-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No "special" episode in between seasons like they've been doing?
Old 07-14-17, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 79 Likes on 57 Posts

I think the issue is Adult Swim's programming practices. They let shows run then go off then "renew" them which really makes the idea of a deadline seem arbitrary. Aqua Teen Hunger Force started its full run in 2001, ended in 2015 but only eleven official seasons. That's four years of breaks.

Robot Chicken: Started 2005, renewed for a ninth season. 12 years on the air with only eight seasons to count. Again, four years of breaks.

Rick and Morty will finally see its third season debut at the end of this month, nearly two years after the second ended.

I understand that Adult Swim is catering to the late night "specialty crowd" but there are dedicated fans who want regular updates. The Venture Brothers started in 2003 and has only six completed seasons? Any other network would be pressing the talent to get it done. Any other network would want to ride on their success.
Old 07-14-17, 12:27 PM

I think that schedule might be what's allowing the quality to stay consistently high. It helps that pretty much every show they program is worth watching. So if my favorite three AS shows aren't getting a disc release every year, I'll just settle my fourth thru sixth favorite, and get the others eventually.
Old 08-06-18, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Figure I'll just bump this thread...

Season 7 started last night. Typical, great episode, though it felt like I missed something between last night's premier, and last season's finale.
Old 08-06-18, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Re: The Venture Bros. on Adult Swim

It's funny because before the season premiere aired, it felt like the last episode aired a lifetime ago. Then when I sat down to watch it, those two and a half years just evaporated. Didn't miss a beat.
Old 08-06-18, 02:41 PM

Anyone get the new art book?
Amazon Amazon
Old 08-20-18, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Okay, this season's 3rd episode was fucking NUTS! So much happened, and so many things were answered - it was crazy. It's almost like another reset. Have they said if this is the final season or something?
Old 08-28-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, is no one watching this? It's honestly the best comedy on TV right now!

Anyways, episode 4... I fucking died with Rusty's delayed bleeding form crashing through the window.

And Monarch's new henchmen who are all day-laborers had me rolling hard too.

There were so many more moments. I'm kinda glad they dealt with the big back-story, and now it seems like we can get to more laughs.
Old 08-28-18, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I behind for a while, but I just caught up.

The season-opening 3 episode "Morpho Trilogy" was pretty intense. They have a knack for crafting a really intricate mythology. It's sort of nuts that the "PROBLEM" light from the 2nd episode ever of the show ends up having such significance. I just wish they could craft the episodes faster, as I feel like I've forgotten so much since the last time the show aired and am playing catchup.

They actually felt more as a season finale than a season starter, which is because they actually were originally meant as the season 6 finale. From an interview after season 6:
https://www.tvinsider.com/77878/the-...-6-the-finale/
Publick: The story we’re writing now would have been the season finale, but we didn’t get to it. We weren’t ready for it when it came time to write the last two scripts. And there was actually a little confusion for a while as to whether or not the Gargantua special counted against our 10-episode order, so we were writing like four different stories at the same time not knowing whether we had two scripts left or four. When it turned out we only had two, we were like, “Alright, I guess we should do our finale.” And then we thought, “No, we haven’t really earned it yet. We need to flesh out this Monarch arc a little more....” So we made a judgement call and wrote two other stories that we were very excited about...

At the moment, it would be the premiere for the next season...

The 4th episode was a lot lower stakes, but still fun. More of a goofing around episode than building/concluding an arc. I feel like it would've been a good place to start the season, while the Morpho Trilogy feels like the finale of season 6, just several years later.
Old 08-28-18, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts

So glad to have it back.
Old 08-29-18, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts

I think I'm going to start from the beginning before starting any of these new episodes. I can't even remember what has happened. I think I watch too much TV.
Old 08-29-18, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
I think I'm going to start from the beginning before starting any of these new episodes. I can't even remember what has happened. I think I watch too much TV.
It's not you. There's been an over 2 year gap since the last season, and a nearly 3 year gap before that, and a nearly 3 year gap before that... It's taken them 14 years to get through 7 seasons.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ve...Bros.#Episodes

Way back in episode 12 of the first season, Dr. Orpheus predicts Action Man will have a stroke in "2 years 17 days." In the 3rd episode this season, Action Man has a stroke. So after 15 years, 7 seasons, it's only been about 2 years in the Venture Universe.

Old 08-29-18, 03:14 PM

Yeah, the realease schedule contributes to why I’m so far behind in this, my favorite television series of the decade. So much time lapses between seasons that I always start over. I’m like 2 full seasons behind, but have laughed my ass off at season one like 10 times now.
Old 09-18-18, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Holy crap! Newest episode (with the teleporters) was absolutely masterful with the way everything came together. It's insane how intricately well written this show is.
Old 09-18-18, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 114 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Holy crap! Newest episode (with the teleporters) was absolutely masterful with the way everything came together. It's insane how intricately well written this show is.
Absolutely! So brilliantly put together. Loved the Mission Impossible heist aspect. Presto-Chango! Copy Cat, the Eyes Wide Shut & Shining homages. Plenty of Monarch & Doc time. One of the best episodes.
Old 10-15-18, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Great season finale! Loved Hank's Empire/Barbarella coma dream. We kinda already knew Rusty and Monarch were related, they more than hinted at it earlier, but Monarch's "are you fucking kidding me!" was hilarious. As was Brock taking out all the Guild goons. "Anyone need to piss?"