DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Reno 911 -- Discussion Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/306181-reno-911-discussion-thread.html)

Sessa17 07-19-03 07:45 PM

Reno 911 -- Discussion Thread

I know there must be a few of you out there. The State is IMO the single funniest sketch comedy of all-time. Perhaps only rivaled buy Mr. show. Anyway, ever since the sad departure of the show, I've followed everything the cast has done since. And Reno 911 starting this week on comedy central reunites the entire cast of The State again. A kind of The State meets Super Troopers TV show. It's written by the girl from the state & another original state cast member & stars just about the entire cast. I'll bump this thread after the shows debut, which I actually don't know when it is, but hopefully someone here will post it.

das Monkey 07-19-03 07:57 PM

They're going to have a hard time finding viewers after the barrage of annoying -- and worse, unfunny -- promotions for the show.

das

Bust 07-19-03 08:53 PM

haven't see ANY promos or ads but I am eagerly awaiting this. Wet, Hot, American Summer showed these guys are still funny as hell, and I don't expect this show to let me down. That being said, when is it on? :lol:

nny 07-19-03 09:53 PM

Wow, the entire cast? I recognized a couple people from The State in the promo and that got me interested enough to watch even though the promos are pretty bad.

Just checked IMDB and only 3 of the 7 people in the cast listed there were on The State. Of course, casting several criminals for each episode leaves open a lot of space for cameos.

zak52 07-20-03 09:23 AM

RENO 911
Check out Comedy Central's new series, created by and starring Tom Lennon, Kerri Kenney and Ben Garant! Premieres July 23rd.

BDB 07-20-03 01:59 PM

I like the look of it, I loved the State, it was superb.

Added it to a SP on my tivo

Superboy 07-20-03 05:22 PM

I'm doug and i'm outttttta heeeeeere.

Sessa17 07-20-03 05:49 PM

Originally posted by nny
Wow, the entire cast? I recognized a couple people from The State in the promo and that got me interested enough to watch even though the promos are pretty bad.

Just checked IMDB and only 3 of the 7 people in the cast listed there were on The State. Of course, casting several criminals for each episode leaves open a lot of space for cameos.

Yeah, Ken Marino is definitely in it, & he isn't listed at IMDB, Michael Ian Black as well.

I haven't seen any promos for the show yet, but if your a fan of the state, it shouldn't bother you that the promos may look bad, that is the exact same thing everyone said about the State.

kaisha no saru 07-21-03 08:14 AM

but no Johnny Blue Jeans character (sigh)...in case folks didn't know the State folks (for the most part) also did Viva Variety on CC (which featured the aformentioned Johnny Blue Jeans from Michael Ian Black)...

definitely looks worth the watching :)

Rico Diablo 07-21-03 10:32 AM

re: Reno 911 -- Discussion Thread

Originally posted by Sessa17
And Reno 911 starting this week on comedy central reunites the entire cast of The State again.
Where did you hear this? I only see a few members listed as being involved with the show: Kerri Kenney, Thomas Lennon and Ben Garant. What others are in it?

Venom 07-21-03 09:53 PM

it's true the promos weren't funny, but they seemed more of an introtuction to the characters and not the show itself. the most recent one shows all footage from the show, including the cop entering a home which turns out to be a surprize party for him but he panic's and wastes a guest soon as the lights come on. lol hilarious. had me laughing out loud.

C-Mart 07-21-03 11:28 PM

I too can't wait for this... I checked and found only 3 original cast members of The State listed... at least in cop positions.

On a GREAT side note I saw this on The State's official web-site:

As seen on http://www.the-state.com
STATE DVD IN THE WORKS!!
Finally, at long last, the members of The State are working in conjunction with MTV Home Video to make the ultimate, REAL, DVD collection of The State. We going back to the original master tapes and loading it with great extras too, including commentary, interviews, unaired material, etc. Save your money! Stop buying bootlegs! We don't know when exactly this new DVD will be released, but the second we do we'll post here and on our mailing list. (Sign up to the left)

pezboy 07-22-03 08:26 AM

I'd dip my balls in that.

Cusm 07-22-03 11:44 AM

Shall we hope to see Froggy Jamboree on the show?

HistoryProf 07-22-03 12:11 PM

Awwwwwwwww Yeah........i'll have to settle in to the Couch D'amour and make sweet love to that dvd baby..........Awwwwwww yeah.......

Blaster1 07-23-03 10:54 PM

Reno 911, Anyone Watch?

I thought it was pretty funny. I'm going to keep watching.

BDB 07-24-03 12:29 AM

Watched it, it had some moments, esp Lt Dangle..

Will tune in next week.

MrX 07-24-03 12:31 AM

The surprise party in the beginning was hilarious. I have a feeling a couple of these characters will get old rather quickly though.

Frank TJ Mackey 07-24-03 01:18 AM

I taped it and it was extremely funny in parts, but we'll see
if they can sustain this kind of effort.

C-Mart 07-24-03 01:52 AM

I liked it, but I liked the shots of next weeks show more. I'll definately watch again.

Rogue588 07-24-03 01:59 AM

the only thing on the promo that caught my eye was the line up that had the topless chicks bouncing up and down...

other than that...i was thinking about it, but decided to make it a L&O nite.

Matt925 07-24-03 03:04 AM

Re: Reno 911, Anyone Watch?

Originally posted by Blaster1
I thought it was pretty funny. I'm going to keep watching.
LOL, when I saw this topic I planned to write:

I thought it was pretty funny. I'm going to watch next week.

Trigger 07-24-03 03:26 AM

crap - missed it - I suppose it'll be on 300 more times this week though. :)

immortal_zeus 07-24-03 05:50 AM

I thought it was okay. I'm not going to go out of my way to watch it again, though.

The funniest part was when they found the guy in the lady's backyard with the birdhouse. When they told him to put his hands up, I started laughing.

http://www.ameritech.net/users/dvdtalk/rome.gif

Giles 07-24-03 07:50 AM

it wasn't as funny as the Washington Post made it out to be, I laughed more at "Super Troopers". Will catch next week's episode to see if it's still funny.