Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Most EMOTIONAL Moment in TV History ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-03, 03:23 AM
Suspended; also need updated email

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
another one from Buffy

In Season 3, the prom episode, where Buffy was awarded a special protecter award at the prom, that was very emotional
Old 07-14-03, 04:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by Decker
Six Feet Under :
Spoiler:
Nate trying to deal with the unexplained disappearence of his wife Lisa. Truely an amazing, multi-faceted performance by Peter Krause
Very much agreed, especially the hug in the motel room.

Six Feet Under and another Krause series, Sports Night, are definitely the most emotionally affecting series I've watched. The ending of the last episode of SN gives me chills every time.

Another vote for the post-9/11 Letterman and Stewart monologues.

And on the X-Files, when Mulder finds out what really happened to his sister. The Moby song was a perfect accompaniment.
Old 07-14-03, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 392 Likes on 280 Posts
Going back one season in SFU: When Nate and Brenda brake up with Nate tossing a ring at Lisa, one of the most realistic brakeup scenes I've ever seen on TV.

Also SFU season 3 when they Flash Nathaniel Fisher 19xx-2002.
I actually recall tearing up a bit at that.

Also agree with the Picard there are 4 lights episode as a great moment and Letterman's first day back post 9/11 (have not seen Stewarts).

Also have to toss a bone to Good Times; James dies, it was so abrubt a departure for the show I actually thought the real life character died and they had to write him off, I was too young to know about salary disputes.
Old 07-14-03, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2 of my favorites are from the 2 season finales of Sports Night:

The first being Isaac's return in the season 1 finale.

And I liked Sorkin's final jab at ABC in the season 2 finale when it was obvious with the way ABC treated the show that year that if it were coming back it would be on another network with the line: "Anyone who can't make money off of Sports Night should get out of the money-making business."
Old 07-14-03, 11:57 AM

what about emotional moments that are happy? I remember the BTVS episode where Tara is truly accepted as part of the Scoobies, the end of that always makes me tear up in a happy way.

I know that real news events aren't supposed to be a part of this but when that American gymnast stuck that landing with an injured foot and won the gold, I cried and cried over that, I felt so proud and happy.

As for sad, I would agree with The Body, The Gift, however I feel had a bittersweet aspect to it, yes it was sad, but Buffy was so at peace, (it also helped to know that there would be another season of BTVS).
Old 07-14-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Simpson's episode "Lisa's Substitute" was emotional for me. It still makes me cry a bit every time I watch it.

When Mr. Bergstrom gives Lisa the note that says "You are Lisa Simpson" that gets me.
Old 07-14-03, 04:20 PM
Cool New Member

3rd Watch

An episode where cops keep getting killed by an unknown and one of the cops went to the academy with Ty and told him to tell his wife he loved her as he was dying, the funeral scene was touching.
Old 07-14-03, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Ooh, the last episode of the Wonder Years. This show has many, but the last 30 seconds with the voice over. Very powerful.
Old 07-14-03, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
if sports counts, two come to mind.

when McGwire broke the HR record and when Cal broke the consecutive games played streak
Old 07-14-03, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
In Quantum Leap, when Sam is his younger self, and he plays "Imagine" on the guitar to convince his younger sister that he knows the future.

Also from Quantum Leap, when Al tries to dance with his first wife to the tune of "Georgia...", that was so emotional they revisited it in the last episode (already mentioned here).
Old 07-15-03, 12:21 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by Original Desmond
The Family ties episode (believe it one an emmy) where Alex's friend dies and he does various monolugues and set scenes with the other actors, amazing episode
Old 07-15-03, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
The one moment that immediately comes to mind....it's from a made for TV movie where Molly Ringwald and her boyfriend (played by the kid from "Gremlins") commit suicide sitting in a running car in a closed garage. And the scene where her mom and dad find them, drag their lifeless bodies to the front yard, and holds them screaming and crying. That was rough. Can't remember the name of this movie. But it was one of the best made for TV movies I've ever seen. Also starred Marsha Mason.
Old 07-15-03, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally posted by Giantrobo
When Edith Bunker hit the would be rapist in the face with the hot cake pan

Oh yeah, this reminds me. Not too many people remember this episode, let alone no one ever talks about the show, but the one where Edith dies on "Archie Bunker's Place". And Gloria comes back for the funeral. Everyone is worried about Archie's behavior. Almost no reaction. Until he comes across Edith's house slipper after he's cleared most of her stuff. He's all alone when he found it. He picked it up and started sobbing. And it was real. Then that little girl (Stephanie?) comes in to comfort him. I tell you, that one is a heart breaker. First time I ever saw my dad cry watching TV.
Old 07-15-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All the b5 ones mentioned, plus others (e.g., GROPOS, No Hiding Place with the Narn) - JMS got more tears out of me than should be allowed.
MASH: When Blake dies and when the series ended.
ER: When Carter and that girl got stabbed and almost died and Carters fall into drugs; also when Dr Greene died and they played that hawaiian song.

Last edited by datagirl7; 07-15-03 at 04:21 PM.
Old 07-15-03, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the sopranos
Spoiler:
when the crew kills bigpussy for giving info to the feds,
Old 07-15-03, 09:44 PM

A Few of My Selections

The Quantum Leap episode that I remember is when Sam leaps into a soldier (maybe his brother) in Vietnam. As always, he's never quite sure of his primary objective is, but he wants to make sure that his brother doesn't get killed in action as originally happened. The kicker was the end when you learn that Sam's brother will survive, but at the expense of a younger Al (who was also a soldier) spending a several years as a prisoner of war.

I still get choked up during the King of the Hill episode when the buddhists come to Arlen to seek the reincarnation of their fellow priest. The priests determine this by conducting a test. Who ever selects the former dalai's item article from a variety of items on a blanket is the new vessel. Bobby is in an ethical dilemna between throwing the test and insulting Kahnie's faith and choosing correctly and potentially leaving. He selects Kahnie when he sees her in a mirror on the blanket. The elder priest says the test is over and tells his group to pack up and leave. A younger priest is dumbfounded because Bobby used the former Dalai's mirror. The older priest simply says, "Tough call, but I'm making it."

My third choice is the Wonder Years. (Man, I can't believe how good this show was!) Goodbye was a good episode, but I really don't identify with it since I was pretty good in math. For me, the best episode was the one where Kevin caddies for his dad's boss. It's an episode that you can appreciate more as you mature because you realize all the crap your that your parents put up with for your benefit (and you'll have to put up with for your children). Kevin sees himself as an independent man and his dad as a corporate stooge. Then the boss throws his golf club in the lake and tells Kevin to go fish it out. Kevin could walk away without the huge $20 tip, but with his pride and dignity intact. In the end, Kevin realizes all the sacrifices his dad willingly makes with four simple words: Whatever you say, Ken!
Old 07-15-03, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)

i can't believe none of you guys picked the finale of last season's American Idol -- ya know, when Kelly was picked over Justin...

jeez...
Old 07-16-03, 02:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Morf
On M*A*S*H when
Spoiler:
Radar reports that Henry's plane was shot down over the Sea of Japan.
This was the first time I was brought to tears by a TV show, the first 99% of the show was funny (with happiness for Blake being able to go home) then at the last moment the country was put into shock.

I believe I was about 12 or 13 at the time.
Old 07-16-03, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

-i have to agree w/ that M*A*S*H episode. i've seen it a number of times on reruns and Radar's announcement still gets to me.
-The Daily Show w/ John Stewart's post 9/11 monologue
Spoiler:
when he commented on not being able to see the towers from his window anymore... instead he can now see the Statue of Liberty
was, in a word, inspiring.
-The last ep. of The Wonder Years
Spoiler:
where we find out that Kevin's dad dies 2 yrs. later and that Kevin & Winnie never became husband & wife

-The episode of It's Gary Shandling's Show where Gilda Radner, battling cancer at the time, stood basking in the adoration (showered upon her by everyone at that taping) w/ her arms raised. The applause must've lasted for 2+ minutes and the woman simply glowed.

Last edited by RaMMaR; 07-16-03 at 03:44 AM.
Old 07-22-03, 01:02 PM

Jezz, you people...

All (most of) you can think about is TV series... fiction over reality. Even sports hardly qualify, since they're all about showbusiness anyway, these days.

Hasn't anyone here seen the demolition of the Berlin Wall? The destruction of the WTC? The televised revolution in Romania? Tienanmen Square?
Old 07-22-03, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Jezz (sic), you person ...

Hasn't anyone (you) read the first post in the thread?

das
Old 07-22-03, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: Most EMOTIONAL Moment in TV History ?

Originally posted by Original Desmond

has to be NON News and NON Sport, looking mainly at TV Shows
A refresher for those who skip the first page.
Old 07-22-03, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by kenny79
The ending of the last episode of SN gives me chills every time.
me too, mainly not just becuase it was quality TV, but there is so much that could've been. that series was so great. abc.
Old 07-22-03, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Ooh, the last episode of the Wonder Years. This show has many, but the last 30 seconds with the voice over. Very powerful.
Agree. Why can't they put this series on DVD? I'd rather re-watch Wonder Years then Friends or even Cheers.
Old 07-22-03, 07:19 PM

For me I guess it would be degrees of shock with emotion that I remember. Growing up, I thought the first broadcast of "The Day After" was pretty powerful.

Also early on a pbs documentary (I guess this might be news) called Scared Straight showing inmates scaring the crap out of juvenile delinquents set me back on the path.

When Sinead O'Connor tore up the picture of the Pope at the end of her performance on Saturday Night Live....that left me speechless.

Anyone here have links to Leno's and Letterman's post 9/11 speeches? I'd like to read them...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.