DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Poor TNN... First Spike Lee, now a stripper (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/304028-poor-tnn-first-spike-lee-now-stripper.html)

Pac-Rat 07-09-03 10:33 AM

Poor TNN... First Spike Lee, now a stripper

http://tv.yahoo.com/news/ap/20030709/105776100000.html

Ex-Stripper Sues Pam Anderson Over Show
Wednesday July 9 7:30 AM ET

A former stripper is demanding an end to the new cable television show "Stripperella," an animated series featuring Pamela Anderson as the voice of a stripper who moonlights as a superhero.

Janet Clover, 37, filed suit Monday against Anderson and comic book legend Stan Lee, who created "Stripperella" as well as "Spider-Man" and "The Hulk." Also named as defendants are Viacom TV Networks doing business as TNN.

Clover claims she is Stripperella's "true creator," according to the lawsuit filed in Daytona Beach circuit court.

Clover, an unemployed Palm Coast resident who identifies herself in the lawsuit as "Sensual Entertainer's Home Studio Founder," said she wrote and filed the suit without the advice or assistance of an attorney.

"This office challenges Lee to produce proof of his creative work, as true authorship belongs to Tanga's Jazz," she wrote, referring to an adult club in Tampa where she claims she asked Lee about the concept of Stripperella a year ago during a private dance session.

"Evidence to support is available upon request," she wrote.

Viacom officials in New York referred comment to media spokesman Robert Pini in Los Angeles, but he did not return several phone messages.

Anderson's agent, Hedda Moye of Los Angeles, declined to comment.

"I'm just trying to get this off TV because it's not his idea," Clover told The Daytona Beach News-Journal. "She was supposed to be a nurse, which is what I'm studying for. I can't remember much about Mr. Lee, little bits and pieces come back. You know, I meet a lot of men."

"Stripperella" first aired last Thursday on TNN, which is being renamed Spike TV. Viacom is the cable network's parent company.

___

Information from: The Daytona Beach News-Journal, http://www.news-journalonline.com
:lol:rotfl:lol:

What's next?

Chew 07-09-03 10:37 AM

Re: Poor TNN... First Spike Lee, now a stripper

-ohbfrank-

Anybody think lawyers will sue over Gary the Rat hitting too close to home? :)

Groucho 07-09-03 10:42 AM

The only thing stupider than this lawsuit is the show itself.

Pac-Rat 07-09-03 10:43 AM

Re: Re: Poor TNN... First Spike Lee, now a stripper

Originally posted by Chew

Anybody think lawyers will sue over Gary the Rat hitting too close to home? :)

On behalf of rats, I take offense at that.

mookiemeister 07-09-03 10:56 AM

TNN is getting a lot of heat with so many law suits. Wonder who will sue TNN next?

tofu 07-09-03 10:57 AM

My cat's name is Stimpy. I'm suing :D

bboisvert 07-09-03 11:04 AM

I watched Ren & Stimpy that first week and I'm suing to get 30 minutes of my life back.

Derrich 07-09-03 11:21 AM

The funny thing is, I know for a fact that Stan has been trying to get Stripperella off the ground for years, all the way back to his aborted website comic experiment.
It doesn't help that Clover's stripper was supposed to be a nurse which isn't even close to what the cartoon is about.

D

fujishig 07-09-03 11:21 AM

I don't even understand the lawsuit? True ownership belongs to Tanga's Jazz? Is that her name? Is she suing on behalf of someone else?

Then she says that the main character was supposed to be a nurse? Isn't the main character a stripper who is also a superhero? If the character was instead a nurse, isn't that a different concept?

It's not exactly a high concept, either, where it's difficult to believe that more than one person could come up with this premise. A stripper superhero. How unique. And I'm sure Stan's name is on it just to get comicbook fans. This'll get thrown out, and TNN/Spike will just get more publicity...

Chad 07-09-03 01:14 PM

In a related story The WB Network is suing the producers of "Ren & Stimpy" for the brutal death of their beloved frog.

davejt1 07-09-03 01:17 PM

TNN/Spike might as well just change their name to "Court TV."

ChrisHicks 07-09-03 02:13 PM

Originally posted by davejt1
then they can get sued again:D

when will it end?

Jonny2k1 07-09-03 02:23 PM

Maybe if TNN should have worried more about bringing good entertainment to their network they could have avoided situations like this.

JestersTear 07-09-03 03:41 PM

Someone needs to tell this lady that as the accusing party, she has to provide proof. Stan Lee doesn't have to give jack unless she can prove her case convincingly. I find it very interesting that her "proof" is only available "on request."

Stoolie 07-09-03 04:37 PM

Frivolous to the extreme. And pathetic as usual.

effigy 07-09-03 06:40 PM

Originally posted by davejt1
Sad, but true. :o :lol:

DRG 07-10-03 05:35 PM

LAWYER: So tell us what happened.
JANET: I was giving Stan Lee a lap dance, and I told him about my idea... and he stole it!
LAWYER: What was your idea?
JANET: Is was about a nurse.
LAWYER: Umm, a nurse?
JANET: Yeah, I was training to be a nurse.
LAWYER: But Stripperella is a stripper, not a nurse...
JANET: Yeah, but I was a stripper.
LAWYER: So it's your idea, because you were a stripper that had an idea about a superhero nurse?
JANET: Not a superhero nurse. Just a nurse. He came up with the superhero part.
LAWYER: So you pitched a nurse story? That's totally different!
JANET: Yeah, and that's another part of my complaint. He totally changed my idea. It's nothing like it used to be.

JasonF 07-13-03 10:06 PM

A story about a stripper and nobody's said "Pics?" yet!?! This obviously isn't the Otter.

Then again, given what this woman looks like, maybe you all knew something I didn't:
http://www.n-jcenter.com/downloads/709lee.jpg

Pac-Rat 07-13-03 10:52 PM

HOLY HELL! WTF is that! :yack:
Forget Stripperella, she has a better chance of suing Lee over being a muse for one of his mutants. Or suing TNN over too many chairshots to the face.

UAIOE 07-14-03 03:05 AM

:yack: :yack:

Ugh, she's fugly

kenny79 07-14-03 04:15 AM

No wonder she's suing. There's no way she's making good money stripping.

bboisvert 07-14-03 09:16 AM

I'm looking for the Adam's Apple. Still not finding it... but it's gotta be there.

El-Kabong 07-14-03 09:23 AM

Wow - the first stripper I'd pay to KEEP her clothes on.

DRG 07-14-03 11:37 PM

Stan Lee can afford better lookin' hoes than that!

lordzeppelin 07-14-03 11:58 PM

Originally posted by DRG
Stan Lee can afford better lookin' hoes than that!
YEah really...they need to just be like "ma'am...you call yourself a stripper? uh...bye. DISMISSED!"