Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

So, who's gonna watch the new TNN shows tonight?

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV
View Poll Results: Will you be watching?
I'm tuning in
55.00%
I'm tuning out
45.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

So, who's gonna watch the new TNN shows tonight?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-03, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was dying to see the new Ren & Stimpy...and it just sucked complete BALLS... I was stunned.... there were far too many gross out bits (not gross out gags, because they weren't funny)... Ren and Stimpy hardly spoke...the only great part was when Stimpy was toweling himself and doing that stupid dance...that was the only laugh this show got out of me.... I think John K. has lost it....I'll tune in next week, but this was not encouraging....

I thought Gary the Rat wasn't bad...sure I only watched parts of it (switching channels) but the 15 minutes I saw wasn't bad....I'll give it a try next week...

and the first half of Stripperella was alright, but entirely gratuitous... I just lost interest.....

MATT

certainly not the amazing cartoon evening I was hoping for
Old 06-27-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mdc3000
certainly not the amazing cartoon evening I was hoping for
Agreed. The scary thing is that you have to assume they were pulling out all the stops last night to draw in viewers. If that's the best they could do... well, I'm looking forward to the complete train wreck next week.
Old 06-27-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
You know, my wife and I have decided that the original, good R&S episodes were like lightning in a bottle. You can't recapture it. Pretty much everything other than those 10 or so first episodes has been crap. Some of the later 'first series' R&S were awful too.

As for last night, we lasted about 15 minutes. Pure crap. Why do they think that spelling out R&S's 'gayness' is funnier than the nudge-nudge innuendo of the first series? Sometimes restraint is funnier than going all-out. On the other hand, we did get to see Ren sodomized by someone's uvula. And no sir, I didn't like it, I didn't like it at all...
Old 06-27-03, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually, I thought the uvula routine was one of the better bits. Far and away better then “My soup’s too thin,” which, IMO, is where it turned into pure crap.
Old 06-27-03, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Red Dog
Stripperella was okay. It has some promise.

The New Ren & Stimpy and Gary the Rat were simply horrible. I did not laugh once during Gary the Rat.
I agree totally. The first two shows were horrid, but Stripperella wasn't as bad. I would watch it again if it were on, but I won't go out of my way to see it. The other two shows, however, will have me going out of my way not to see them...
Old 06-27-03, 02:59 PM

What a disappointment I had with the new R&S. Between the excessive commercial breaks, the most annoying promo banners I've ever seen, and the real lack of quality and humor in these new episodes, I'm taking a pass. Sigh.
Old 06-27-03, 03:54 PM

[stimpy voice] Renwick, why does our show suck so badly? [/stimpy voice]
Old 06-27-03, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

WOW. Not one good vote towards Ren & Stimpy. Maybe I should advoid the repeat tonight.
Old 06-27-03, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Was Mark Hamill the voice of the doctor on Stripperella? I kept thinking "Hey, it's the Joker!" every time he opened his mouth.

I caught the last five mintues of Ren and Stimpy. I was never a big fan of the classic series (the humor kept getting lost in the fart jokes, IMO), but wow. The last thing I needed to see last night was two cartoon characters crawing into a guy's crotch and then removing the vacate sign from the same area.

Yech.
Old 06-27-03, 05:50 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
R&S sucks...They BETTER be better next week...
Old 06-27-03, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally posted by DGibFen
The last thing I needed to see last night was two cartoon characters crawing into a guy's crotch and then removing the vacate sign from the same area.

Yech.
Word. Not to mention they crawled into his crotch from his ass hole and then climbed back into it.

I don't know if it would be going to far to say that may be the worst piece of television ever aired in history.

Not a single person here has admitted to liking it. I had a feeling that would happen when I was watching the first part of it.
Old 06-27-03, 06:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

OK. Let me get this straight: the closing scene was a bigger grossout then the entire spittoon thing?
Old 06-27-03, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The whole spittoon thing was lame and pointless. one cheap excuse to use spit and snot jokes.. which werent funny. Does John K laugh at the thought of eating body juices? the "I'M GAY! LOOK AT ME" segements ran to much. I don't need to be reminded every 2 minutes. just get on with the show for gods sakes.
Old 06-27-03, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Those of you just realizing John K has lost it: I take it you never saw his Adult Swim specials? The guy lost it a long, long time ago. There was nothing to disappoint me in Ren and Stimpy, I already had a premonition it would suck.

Striperella was just pure fun. Gary the Rat didn't hold my interest, however. I think the show can have promise, maybe even be another Duckman, but the premier wasn't the best in the world. I want to see more of Striperella, however. Glad to see Stan Lee hasn't lost it!

I also heard parents groups were mad at the cartoons and wanted them off the air. I am sick of soccer moms letting their kids watching M or R rated material then bitching about it because it wasn't appropriate for their children. Somebody please bitch slap the soccer moms back to the curb?
Old 06-27-03, 09:13 PM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Originally posted by calhoun07
Those of you just realizing John K has lost it: I take it you never saw his Adult Swim specials? The guy lost it a long, long time ago.
I didn't realize he did anything for AS. What was he involved in?

I also heard parents groups were mad at the cartoons and wanted them off the air. I am sick of soccer moms letting their kids watching M or R rated material then bitching about it because it wasn't appropriate for their children. Somebody please bitch slap the soccer moms back to the curb?

But let's be honest, you think some of the vemom might be coming from the fact their husbands are watching it?

I thought the new Ren & Stimpy was pathetic. Nothing even brought a smirk to my face. I seemed more like an (unfunny) lampoon of the old episodes. Gary the Rat was okay, it seems like one of those shows that will have it's ups and downs during it's run with nothing ever being spectacular or horrible.
Old 06-27-03, 09:22 PM
Banned

i watched them all ren and stimpy was good and gary the rat was awesome

but stripperella was just pure SHYT
Old 06-27-03, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
I went to wash the dishes after ST:TNG tonight. came back in and the rat show was on. it was ok, I might be willing to watch it again to see a whole episode
then ren and stimpy came on
WTF?!?!?!
and tnn think's they're the network for men? what kind of men would watch this crap
I didn't watch the original all that much but it was way better than this s***
sucking the s*** out of the rat's ass? not funny
having ren's ass licked by the little dangly thing in the roof of the mouth (can't remember the anatomical term)? not funny

it's not the fact that they're gay that makes this so bad, I can handle that

this show's just repulsive, which is saying a lot from me as I rarely get offended or repulsed by things, even thing I hate

oh and tnn's use of the word ass**** on their ren and stimpy commercial is pretty bad, not that that word bothers me, because I've been hearing it since high school on NYPD Blue. It bothers me because I heard it at 2:30 in the afternoon on wednesday during ST:TNG. kids could be watching a show with no parental warning and get hit with the word ass****

Last edited by mikehunt; 06-27-03 at 10:55 PM.
Old 06-28-03, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Stimpy's dance was funny other than that...bleh.

I'll give the show next week but if the show is still lame as hell then forget it.

Eating boogers and vomit = not funny...EVER!
Old 06-28-03, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Pac-Rat
I didn't realize he did anything for AS. What was he involved in?
A couple Yogi Bear shorts and a new episode of the Jetsons. They aired in a month when they included the Evan Dorkin special and some other AS specials. The Jetsons episode was posted offically on the AS website, so I am sure there may be a posting of it out there some where (official or unofficial). They weren't half bad, but they weren't half good either. They were a far cry from his old Ren and Stimpy work.
Old 06-29-03, 03:16 AM
My Generosity Is Legendary

Dorkin?
Sorry, I'm having MST3K "Gorgo" flashbacks.

Thanks for the info. I've got to find the Yogi Bear stuff, even if it is bad.
Old 06-29-03, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Gary the Rat was terrific with Kelsey the Grammer proving he'd should only do cartoon voices.

Stripperella seems like it would get old real quick.

the Adult Ren & Stimpy was just trash.
Old 07-01-03, 06:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

M'eh

Didn't care for any of them.

R&S was over-the-line gross
Gary wasn't funny
Stripperella was silly

I'm not sure I'll watch any of them again.
Old 07-01-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Well it got great ratings. Now it be interesting to see how big the dropoff is this week. Of course, it also doesn't help that most everyone has the next day off of work.

Tuesday, June 30, 2003 - 9:27 AM
TNN's Animated 'Strip' Delivers
By Brian Ford Sullivan

CHICAGO (thefutoncritic.com) -- TNN's legal battles didn't stop its new animated block from delivering last week as the network's combination of "Ren & Stimpy," "Gary the Rat" and "Stripperella" averaged 1.4 million viewers on Thursday night.

More importantly the self-titled "first network for men" delivered in its target demographic, outperforming prior-year levels in its time period by 61% among total viewers, 83% in men 18-49 (1.1 rating/575,000 viewers) and 200% in men 18-34 (1.5 rating/390,000 viewers). Overall the block was number one among basic cable for the night among men 18-34 and men 18-49, second only to ESPN's NBA draft coverage.

TNN's big winner for the night was "Stripperella," starring Pamela Anderson, at 11:00/10:00c which racked up a 1.7 household rating and 2 million total viewers. Those numbers were up a whopping 155% in year-to-year comparisons among total viewers for TNN, 150% in men 18-49 (1.5 rating/795,000 viewers) and 250% in men 18-34 (2.1 rating/535,000 viewers).

"Ren & Stimpy's Adult Party Cartoon" held its own at 10:00/9:00c, averaging a 1.1 household rating and 1.4 million total viewers. That's up 51% from TNN's viewership last year as well as up 100% in men 18-49 (1.0 rating/531,000 viewers) and 225% in men 18-34 (1.3 rating/324,000 viewers).

At 10:30/9:30c, the debut of "Gary the Rat" also performed well, notching a 1.1 household rating and 1.3 million total viewers, up 34% from the network's numbers last year. "Gary" was also up 57% among men 18-49 (1.1 rating/548,000 viewers) and 133% among men 18-34 (1.4 rating/358,000 viewers).

Rounding out the night was a classic episode of "The Ren & Stimpy Show" at 11:30/10:00c which averaged 898,000 total viewers, up 12% in year-to-year comparisons. The classic "Ren" was also up 33% among men 18-49 (0.8 rating/405,000 viewers) and 117% among men 18-34 (1.3 rating/327,000 viewers).
Old 07-01-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Forget Spike Lee, I may sue just for having watched that.

das
Old 07-01-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Oh geez, look out, TNN has raised das' Cranky-meter to maximum!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.