TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Boarding House: North Shore - 06/25/03

Old 06-25-03, 08:42 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,192
Boarding House: North Shore - 06/25/03

{from TV Guide Online}

Episode 2: During the first day of women's competition, Holly's discipline pays off while Veronica's party-girl lifestyle affects her performance. Elsewhere, Sunny and Damien compete in the second round of the Hawaiian Pro; and Sunny lives up to his bad-boy rep.

I am actually impressed w/ this series, though it would be quite lacking in the story department if it wasn't for Sunny Garcia. They should have just named the show after him. Man, does he have anger management problem or what? I can understand that you don't look at another guy's girl where he grew up but if he gets pissed that guys are looking at his wife on the beach maybe he should just have her wear a sweatsuit or something. If I saw her on the beach I would be looking, too. I wonder if he has ever had his ass beat by somebody he started crap w/. I understand he's a badass, but there is always someone out there who could kick your ass at any moment. Every one gets his ass kicked at least once in a lifetime. The man is definitely an interesting character to watch. I can't believe he has been pro for sixteen years - truly amazing.

I understand Holly Beck is quite intelligent but she is still annoying to listen to sometimes. She is awesome in the water though. I would love to watch some comps live once in my life.

Veronica Kay does make nice eye-candy, but it would be cool to see her surf a little better next time.

What is the point of having Danny Fuller on the show? Is he going to surf in the Triple Crown or what?

Last edited by B.A.; 06-25-03 at 08:44 PM.
B.A. is offline  
Old 07-03-03, 09:38 AM
  #2  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,366
I guess not many people watch this show...
Anyway, I'm a week behind in watching this series (Tivo does that to you) but I just watched this episode last night.

Having been born in Hawaii, it's interesting to watch this show. They really did get a great cast, and keep the show interesting, even though there's no real "point" to it like other reality shows. Just 7 surfers (and their wives?) living together.

Sunny sure does get into a lot of fights, and it seems like most people back off when they find out who he is. I'm sure he's got a lot of backup in his home state, too. And I haven't really seen him have a fight with anyone local yet. But he does need to get his wife to cover up if he's going to be so jealous... she wears the skimpiest swimsuits.

Are all seven of these surfers in the Triple Crown competition? They didn't show Damien competing in the preliminaries, and he obviously made it to the finals. Also, this week's show has Holly competing against Chelsea, who we didn't see in the preliminaries either.

So VK has been focused more on modeling for the past few years, and hasn't surfed competitively in a while? I'm wondering if she got back into it because of this show. It was brutal watching her fall down again and again, and I don't think we saw one good break for her. Holly, on the other hand, had a great set.

With the nature of surfing competitions being what it is, they must've gotten really lucky with the people they picked to be on this show. Sunny, besides being entertaining, actually won the first jewel, which I don't think anyone would've predicted. And Holly, who doesn't even seem to be ranked internationally, is surfing really well.
fujishig is offline  
Old 07-03-03, 09:44 AM
  #3  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,580
I watched the first episode last night and I liked what I saw. I still have last Wednesday's and last night's episodes to catch up on.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 07-03-03, 10:20 AM
  #4  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,192
I taped last night's as well, too, and hopefully I will be able to watch by Sunday. Thought this thread was in the grave last week when no one responded to it. Glad to see I am not the only one watching this show - it is interesting to watch, much more than a lot of the crap out there this summer. Sunny has an excellent dynamic about him.
B.A. is offline  
Old 07-07-03, 09:40 AM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,366
Finally caught up with this series (thank you, long weekend). I enjoyed the last episode... it's interesting seeing the politics, though I'm not sure I really understand it:

It seems like the local surfers (ie: the surfers from Hawaii who don't go on tour) only get 2 spots. The reasoning seems to be that they have some kind of intimidation factor, plus familiarity with the beaches that the "top 44" tour professionals don't. On the other hand, the local surfers feel slighted by this. So I think Myles and some other local surfers convinced the Triple Crown to have four-man heats and include more local surfers. Sunny, who had to leave Hawaii to go on tour to compete in these kinds of events, is opposed.

Why is there such a big difference between four-man heats and two-man heats? In the four-man heats, the top two go anyway... is it because the surf is more crowded with four people vying for it? And anyway, I didn't see a single local surfer out there besides Sunny and Myles... where are they? I know they don't show all the heats, but how many times do they have to surf? They're already at the semifinals for the second men's event... were there qualifying rounds before this? Why was Sunny so mad now, when he had to know what the status was before the event even started?

On the girl's side, I had no idea that Chelsea was so highly ranked (number 5 in the world), but they called her a rookie... is this her first pro year? I also didn't know Holly was so far down (20?), especially after her qualifying round. She really doesn't fit in with the partying lifestyle of the other Roxy girls, and it's almost like she looks down on them all the time.

Next week looks interesting, with Sunny (who's on fire), Myles (who won last year), and the number one surfer (Andy Irons ) in the same four man heat, with only two advancing. The show really adds drama to the sport, and I hope that between this, blue crush, and MTV's surf girls, surfing can really get more of a following...
fujishig is offline  
Old 07-07-03, 10:18 AM
  #6  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,192
Originally posted by fujishig
Finally caught up with this series (thank you, long weekend). I enjoyed the last episode... it's interesting seeing the politics, though I'm not sure I really understand it:

It seems like the local surfers (ie: the surfers from Hawaii who don't go on tour) only get 2 spots. The reasoning seems to be that they have some kind of intimidation factor, plus familiarity with the beaches that the "top 44" tour professionals don't. On the other hand, the local surfers feel slighted by this. So I think Myles and some other local surfers convinced the Triple Crown to have four-man heats and include more local surfers. Sunny, who had to leave Hawaii to go on tour to compete in these kinds of events, is opposed.

Why is there such a big difference between four-man heats and two-man heats? In the four-man heats, the top two go anyway... is it because the surf is more crowded with four people vying for it? And anyway, I didn't see a single local surfer out there besides Sunny and Myles... where are they? I know they don't show all the heats, but how many times do they have to surf? They're already at the semifinals for the second men's event... were there qualifying rounds before this? Why was Sunny so mad now, when he had to know what the status was before the event even started?

On the girl's side, I had no idea that Chelsea was so highly ranked (number 5 in the world), but they called her a rookie... is this her first pro year? I also didn't know Holly was so far down (20?), especially after her qualifying round. She really doesn't fit in with the partying lifestyle of the other Roxy girls, and it's almost like she looks down on them all the time.

Next week looks interesting, with Sunny (who's on fire), Myles (who won last year), and the number one surfer (Andy Irons ) in the same four man heat, with only two advancing. The show really adds drama to the sport, and I hope that between this, blue crush, and MTV's surf girls, surfing can really get more of a following...
The political side of the surf scene on the show does make for good television - particularly w/ Sunny involved. I do admire Myles for his stance in regard to the local surfers, but I agree w/ Sunny that they need to work for it and not receive handouts.

I think Sunny just likes the idea of two guys going at it better. and adding more guys just makes the heats take longer, so some guys might get better surf than others because they surfed earlier in the day and then some have to wait around for hours to give it a go.

They say Chelsea is a rookie, but I thought they said she finished 5 or something in the Triple Crown last year, too. Maybe this is just her first complete season.

VK and Holly are just complete opposites. Holly has no respect for the Roxy girls, too, imo. She does indeed look down on them, but sometimes it seems she wants to be one of the girls, because it looks like she tries at times.

Again, what is Danny Fuller's purpose on the show?

Next week does look great w/ Sunny, Myles and Andy Irons in the same heat.
B.A. is offline  
Old 07-07-03, 10:35 AM
  #7  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,366
I'm sure we can find all the information about these surfers online... but I'm avoiding that, so I don't accidentally look at the Triple Crown results...

I wonder how many surfing fanatics are watching this show, since they pretty much already know the results of the competition...

Danny just kinda shows up at the parties. In fact, the housemates barely interact with each other at the house, since they can just hang out with their wives or call home every day.

I'm surprised VK isn't out working on her surfing, after how she did on that last jewel...
fujishig is offline  
Old 07-10-03, 10:34 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,192
Last night's show wasn't too exciting. It was still good, but Sunny didn't freak out on anyone like in previous eps. Everyone lost in their elimination heats, except for Chelsea (I think).

Holly got into it w/ another girl while paddling out, but no fists were thrown.

Yep, Danny Fuller doesn't surf in comps, so he really has no purpose on the show.

VK may be selfish and flaky, but she is sexy as hell.
B.A. is offline  
Old 07-11-03, 11:02 AM
  #9  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 1,176
This show gets a little less exciting everytime. They should show more of Sunny's wife, that's exciting.
Jonny2k1 is offline  
Old 07-11-03, 12:45 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,192
Originally posted by Jonny2k1
This show gets a little less exciting everytime. They should show more of Sunny's wife, that's exciting.
More of the lovely ladies in bikinis are a good thing, Sunny's wife included.
B.A. is offline  
Old 07-11-03, 08:41 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 1,186
Originally posted by Jonny2k1
This show gets a little less exciting everytime. They should show more of Sunny's wife, that's exciting.
I'd be very careful talking about Sunny's wife like that. He seems like the kind of guy who'd hunt you down for this.

I think Danny said he's actually surfing in the next competition. Why hasn't surfed in the previous ones though?

I'm still hoping to see Kula or Vivienne from Surf Girls pop up on here.
Amel is offline  
Old 07-17-03, 02:07 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk God
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Directionally Challenged (for DirecTV)
Posts: 122,580
Sonny's wife has a smokin' bod. Sonny, meanwhile, is just smokin' mad.

I didn't watch last night's episode yet, but it is definitely weird that Holly and Veronica have the gotten the most airtime, yet Chelsea is the one doing well in competition.
Red Dog is offline  
Old 07-17-03, 02:34 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 26,366
Not to be rude or anything, but I can't understand half the things that Chelsea says...

Also, they show tries very, very hard to emphasize the "conflict" between the personalities of Holly and Veronica, so of course they're going to get more screentime (though I really doubt there's as much going on as they want us to believe). Most of the time, Chelsea just goes off on her own.
fujishig is offline  
Old 07-18-03, 11:30 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 1,176
Originally posted by Amel
I'd be very careful talking about Sunny's wife like that. He seems like the kind of guy who'd hunt you down for this.

I think Danny said he's actually surfing in the next competition. Why hasn't surfed in the previous ones though?

I'm still hoping to see Kula or Vivienne from Surf Girls pop up on here.
I think Sunny would hunt me down for saying that, but his wife is smoking. I was pretty surprised to see how hot she was at first.

Danny is just a model/surfer so most of the time he just travels and models while surfing. But appearently he is a "pipeline master" so they invited him to surf that competition. I think there were a lot more local surfers for the Pipeline Masters than any of the other competitions they have shown.

And I'm definitely waiting for Aimee to show her cute little face. She left Surf Girls so early, the least she could do is show up on another surfing show.
Jonny2k1 is offline  
Old 07-18-03, 06:40 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,192
Originally posted by Jonny2k1
Danny is just a model/surfer so most of the time he just travels and models while surfing. But appearently he is a "pipeline master" so they invited him to surf that competition. I think there were a lot more local surfers for the Pipeline Masters than any of the other competitions they have shown.
Yeah, Danny Fuller is just a sponsored big-wave surfer - I guess he only does events if they are like Pipeline.

I thought they said that 32 of the surfers were local for the Pipeline event, which definitely seems like much more than the previous two jewels - I think the promoters polled the top surfers and asked them who they thought should surf in it. That wave that Fuller caught for the "Perfect Ten" was awesome - it was huge and he completely rode it out. I am just glad to see him do some surfing on the show. He was serious about his surfing, too - I can't believe the girls he turned down the night before - that scene was hilarious.


It was cool to see the three guys (Sunny, Myles, Danny) that surfed competitively during the episode all do well and advance. Hopefully Damien will do good in the next ep, too.1

Sunny is still the glue that holds the show together, he demonstrated that again - interesting when he brought the show to the West Side where he grew up.
B.A. is offline  
Old 07-23-03, 10:31 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: East County
Posts: 33,192
Last show was tonight -
Spoiler:
unfortunately, none of the guys won the Triple Crown (Andy Irons) did


I really liked this show. I think Mark Burnett and Co. did a great job of getting an interesting group of people together (landing Sunny Garcia was key to the whole project) and they presented a very well done show, imo.

I will miss it as I have grown accustomed to watching it over the past six weeks. Hopefully Burnett can produce more of the same (or something similar) and keep us happy.

And Veronica Kay - you are oh so sexy.
B.A. is offline  
Old 07-24-03, 10:56 AM
  #17  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Phoenix, AZ
Posts: 3,826
Originally posted by bahist17
And Veronica Kay - you are oh so sexy.
I have to agree with that. She is quite fine, but she acts like she had been endulging in some extracurricular pharmaceuticals.
ChefWinduAZ is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.