Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Chris Rock Keeps His Word, Will be MTV VMA Host

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-03, 06:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chris Rock Keeps His Word, Will be MTV VMA Host

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - For the 20th anniversary of the MTV Video Music Awards, producers are returning to a familiar host and a familiar location. Chris Rock, who hosted the show's 1999 installment will be centerstage as the VMAs take over the Radio City Music Hall in New York City. The first VMAs aired from Radio City in 1984.

"At the VMAs four years ago, Chris Rock's opening monologue just about got the both of us taken out by J.Lo's bodyguards, so we unquestionably invited him back," says MTV President Van Toffler. "The 2003 VMAs will not only be our fifth straight year in New York City, but we are returning to where it all started back in 1984, Radio City Music Hall, where we've thrown some of our biggest, stupidest, and most twisted parties to date."

The 2003 show, airing live on Thursday, Aug. 28, will mark the VMA's fifth straight year in New York, a fact that fills the city's mayor with pride.

"Their decision underscores New York's premier status as the most spectacular city in the world for music and entertainment, and world-class events," says Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg. "Last year's VMAs were an enormous success, generating much needed revenue for the City and showcasing New York as an exciting place to live, work and visit."

Since his last hosting stint, Rock has been one of Hollywood's busiest men, with film roles in a mixed bag of efforts from "Nurse Betty" to "Pootie Tang." This spring he made his directorial debut with "Head of State."

He will oversee what is annually one of the rowdiest events on MTV's calendar.

"Can't wait to do it," the comedian says.
Old 06-25-03, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
he was great last time he did it
Old 06-25-03, 07:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Better than Jimmy Fallon. I think I still have a bad taste in my mouth from that.
Old 06-25-03, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
a lone mike stand in the middle of the stage would be better than Fallon...
Old 06-25-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i still remember chris rock's opening monologue, it was friken hilarious. I was laughing so hard, i can only imagine if they allowed him to swear and not bleep it out.
Old 06-26-03, 12:16 AM
Suspended

It's about time they put some quality program on MTV... it freaking rarer than diamond.