DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   So cable never goes down? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/301295-so-cable-never-goes-down.html)

spainlinx0 06-25-03 09:27 AM

So cable never goes down?

So my cable has been down since 1:30 AM this morning. 9 hours my cable has been down. That is horrendous. I can't believe they would have the nerve to air those damn commercials where satellite gets knocked out from bad weather. Yet here I sit where it's beautiful clear skies outside, and I have no cable tv or cable modem. Thanks Comcast.

This might be the final straw. I think it's time for DirecTV.

Numanoid 06-25-03 09:36 AM

Do you believe everything a company tells you about its competition?

DirecTV actually NEVER DOES go down, it's just your reception which becomes interefered with (exceptionally heavy rain or snow). And those blackouts usually only last a few minutes.

spainlinx0 06-25-03 09:51 AM

Well that's what I meant with satellite going down. I didn't actually think the satellites stopped working. I know that really bad weather can affect it, but I don't think any storm is taking out my service for 9 and a half hours.

Oh now it just went back up.

I don't believe what a competitor says, I just found it ironic that I ALWAYS see advertisements from Comcast saying how unreliable satellite can be with the weather then this goes and happens, and it isn't the first time.

Brett44 06-25-03 09:52 AM

When I had Time Warner cable it seems like it was always down. It was actually one of the reasons we switched to Dish Network a few years ago. I laugh every time I see one of those cable commercials.

Brett

Chew 06-25-03 09:54 AM

Yeah, whenever I need a good laugh I just listen to a cable commercial listing all the "problems" with satellite.

They may of been true 5 years ago (buy the equipment, no service calls, you sneeze and the signal goes out, etc), but not anymore.

wendersfan 06-25-03 10:01 AM

Originally posted by Numanoid
DirecTV actually NEVER DOES go down, it's just your reception which becomes interefered with (exceptionally heavy rain or snow). And those blackouts usually only last a few minutes.
That reminds me of when my wife and I decided to switch from cable to dish. She actually had me ask the CSR at Dish Network what contingency plans they had in place if the satellite ever fell out of orbit. He patiently explained they have back-up satellites if that should ever happen...

FWIW, I would recommend Dish Network over DirectTV. My impression is that they have better picture quality and better customer service.

das Monkey 06-25-03 10:10 AM

Everything about Comcast's ad campaign is intentionally deceptive and misleading. They refer to things as "the dish" so they can make statements that aren't accurate for Dish Network or DirecTV. Add to that the fact that they've been in bed with the evil cable arm of AT&T, and I'm amazed anyone does business with them. Like <B>Chew</B> says, their ads are always good for a laugh.

das

BizRodian 06-25-03 10:35 AM

I think it's pretty sad when a company has to totally badmouth it's competition like that. Where I used to live, the cable went down for hours at a time constantly. I'm also amused to see you guys get the same cable commercials I do, not surprising I suppose, since they're both owned by AT&T. Do you have the annoying girl in the school uniform (no, not that kind, she's like, 10... sickos!) up here she mentions Canada, so I'm guessing they did duel ads. I always assumed she must be from an american commercial due to her accent.

sherm42 06-25-03 10:40 AM

My parents have Dish and I have DirecTV. I think DirecTV has better picture quality and I have never had a single interruption in my service so far.

If you go with DirecTV, buy a DirecTivo unit. It will change your life.

NCMojo 06-25-03 11:12 AM

Originally posted by wendersfan
That reminds me of when my wife and I decided to switch from cable to dish. She actually had me ask the CSR at Dish Network what contingency plans they had in place if the satellite ever fell out of orbit. He patiently explained they have back-up satellites if that should ever happen...
Oh, so you're saying your wife made you ask. You, of course, knew the answer all along...

Yeah, I blame a lot of stuff on my wife, too. ;)

Chew 06-25-03 11:42 AM

Originally posted by wendersfan
FWIW, I would recommend Dish Network over DirectTV. My impression is that they have better picture quality and better customer service.
I had Dish for more than 2 years before switching to DirecTV for locals and DirecTiVo.

I think the quality with DirecTV comes and goes. Sometimes it's awesome, sometimes not. Especially the local channels.

I never really had that kind of problem with Dish.

Spanky BananaPants 06-25-03 11:44 AM

Originally posted by sherm42
My parents have Dish and I have DirecTV. I think DirecTV has better picture quality and I have never had a single interruption in my service so far.

If you go with DirecTV, buy a DirecTivo unit. It will change your life.

No doubt about it, the DirecTiVo unit is worth it's weight in gold. No loss of PQ, dual tuners, great unit!

I've seen PQ on both DirecTV and Dish, and I'd say DirecTV has a slight edge over Dish. Of course, that's just my opinion.

Jason1973 06-25-03 02:08 PM

According to Comcast and ATT, all ex-satellite tv customers are idiots.

big whoppa 06-25-03 02:15 PM

I have Cox Cable (for local channels and high-speed internet) and Dish. Cable doesn't go out very often but it does happen and the bad thing is you don't receive a credit on your bill when it doesn't.

mikehunt 06-25-03 02:37 PM

Adelphia's digital cable commercial makes me laugh
"with satellite you need extra boxes ofr extra tvs"
hate to break it to them but so does digital cable

Pac-Rat 06-25-03 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Brett44
When I had Time Warner cable it seems like it was always down. It was actually one of the reasons we switched to Dish Network a few years ago. I laugh every time I see one of those cable commercials.

Brett

TW's service became so bad a few years ago here, that they scheduled downtime every Sunday during the summer from midnight to 6am. Add to that, anytime we got steady rain for a day or two, the picture looked like a UHF station with a broken antenna.