DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   CNN anchor Anderson Cooper: "Fo shizzle" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/300983-cnn-anchor-anderson-cooper-fo-shizzle.html)

Dah-Dee 06-23-03 06:57 PM

CNN anchor Anderson Cooper: "Fo shizzle"

Yep, he used it in a report on singer Lil' Kim losing $250,000 worth of jewelry. He also referred to the jewelry as her "bling bling." What has the news world come to?!?! -wink-

Numanoid 06-23-03 07:18 PM

It's called a sense of humor, and it would be quite appropriate in a "news" story about Lil' Kim. Now if he uses it during a story on Iraq or something, then it's all over.

huzefa 06-23-03 07:22 PM

If there ever was a reason to restrict free speech, it would be to prevent these kinds of stupid phrases from being uttered.

DRG 06-23-03 07:25 PM

Now more than ever he should return to The Mole. Ahmad Rashaad needs to go! :)

Eplicon 06-23-03 07:31 PM

Anderson Cooper tended to take the same approach when reporting the lighter side of the news when he anchored ABC's World News Now.

movieking 06-23-03 08:18 PM

Anderson Cooper rocks. I find him hilarious...

Wooderson 06-23-03 08:47 PM

I remember him from Channel 1 when I was in middle school in 1994. He was pretty young then and still had grey hair.

tonyc3742 06-23-03 10:09 PM

I recall a while back, I'm not sure if it was legitimate or rumor, that CNN passed out a 'phrasebook' of 'cool' language that should try to be used whenever possible to try to make their news more attractive to the hip hop youth of today. I know blingbling [whatever the hell that is] was one specifically mentioned....I just didn't know anyone actually read it.
Ah, here it is:
http://www.redding.com/news/national...14nat056.shtml

In an e-mail leaked this fall to other media outlets, a CNN Headline News producer gave his staff a slang dictionary and a suggestion. "Please use this guide to help all you homeys and honeys add a new flava to your tickers and dekkos," the message said, referring to graphics on the TV screen.

It's almost like MTV still posturing as the 'alternative music scene' and all rebellious, even though its crap is as planned, hyped, marketed, and churned out scientifically as anything on primetime networks [Hey! How's this for a sitcom? Wacky friends who hang out together! And *giggle* let's make one of them gay!']

</cynicism>

BJacks 06-23-03 10:51 PM

Originally posted by Wooderson
I remember him from Channel 1 when I was in middle school in 1994. He was pretty young then and still had grey hair.
Yeah, I remember him from high school around that time, even a bit earlier. He did these on-the-ground reports from the killing fields of Rwanda that were unbelievable. I remember he walked into this hut that was absolutely filled with dead bodies of people hacked to pieces. If anyone has worked to get where he is, it's Anderson Cooper. I hope he gets to the very top.

FuzzyBallz 06-23-03 11:09 PM

White boy ain't funny. Cracker better quit trying to act like he's from the streets, before he get bitch slap by a brutha.

Here's the deal. Black person says Fo Shizzle = funny. Old white guy says Fo Shizzle = ass clown.

Buck Turgidson 06-23-03 11:42 PM

I hope Tucker Carlson tries to give a shout out to his peeps tomorrow.

Cooper is a sharp guy. Like the majority here, I like him. He and Aaron Brown are a cut above the usual news twits (I'm talking about you, Brian Williams...)

BizRodian 06-23-03 11:42 PM

Even if a black guy says it he's pushing it... anyone who uses this type of hip language in a serious way just pisses me off.

CNN is really funny sometimes. The other day I was flipping channels and they were playing a Spice Girls song in the background. What the hell?

MicFreJas 06-24-03 02:17 PM

Originally posted by FuzzyBallz
White boy ain't funny. Cracker better quit trying to act like he's from the streets, before he get bitch slap by a brutha.

Here's the deal. Black person says Fo Shizzle = funny. Old white guy says Fo Shizzle = ass clown.

Agreed. I didn't want to watch Malibu's most wanted in theaters and I don't want to watch it on cnn.

Morf 06-24-03 02:38 PM

I would have figured that I'd hear this tool talkin' jive first:

http://www.cnn.com/CNN/anchors_repor...erg.daniel.jpg

adamblast 06-24-03 05:55 PM

He's also one of the only "out" anchor/reporters on any major network or cable show--unless you want to include Steve Kmetko (Greg Lougainis' old hubby) who used to be on E! News...

mwj 06-24-03 06:42 PM

My opinion Snoop Dogg Fo Shizzle=funny. Every other human on the face of the earth Fo Shizzle=stupid, annoying, and lame.

clemente 06-24-03 07:19 PM

Originally posted by adamblast
He's also one of the only "out" anchor/reporters on any major network or cable show--unless you want to include Steve Kmetko (Greg Lougainis' old hubby) who used to be on E! News...
Anderson? Hmmm....

Anyway, Anderson's the only anchor I could see getting away with this and not coming off as an idiot, he's definately not cut from the "brick stonehead" mold of anchormen.

Static Cling 06-24-03 10:47 PM

Anderson Cooper can do no wrong, and all of you haters should go playa hate someone else! :)

tonyc3742 06-25-03 08:01 AM

It's spreading out.....in this month's EGM, there is a full page ad for Wario World featuring the tag line, 'Hangin with the Bling Bling King,' with Wario in a big white fur coat, no shirt, and coated in gold rings and necklaces, and doing that rap thing with his hands.
It's rather frightening.

BizRodian 06-25-03 10:18 AM

I was watching a game show for 9 year olds, and all the kids were doing the "rap thing" with their hands, saying the "representin'" something and how things were "hecka tight"

I'm so glad I didn't act like this when I was a kid.

FalconH10 06-25-03 11:06 AM

Corporations will never get it, if you start using slang on a news station or on TV commercials it is no longer slang. It will be tossed away by the youth and something new will be put in its place. Whenever they use slang it makes it sound like they are mocking a whole culture, not that they are a part of it or understand it. I always wonder if the adults responsible for these adds can even remember what it was like to be young.

Youth N Asia 06-25-03 12:27 PM

I liked his work on Channel 1 when I was in jr high, and I liked him on The Mole...so I'll let it slip...this time.

big whoppa 06-25-03 02:54 PM

If he said, "Fo shizzle, my nizzle", he'd be in trouble.

Boot 06-25-03 02:59 PM

Originally posted by FalconH10
Corporations will never get it, if you start using slang on a news station or on TV commercials it is no longer slang. It will be tossed away by the youth and something new will be put in its place. Whenever they use slang it makes it sound like they are mocking a whole culture, not that they are a part of it or understand it. I always wonder if the adults responsible for these adds can even remember what it was like to be young.
[corporation] My bad. [/corporation]

Youth N Asia 06-25-03 06:23 PM

Originally posted by big whoppa
If he said, "Fo shizzle, my nizzle", he'd be in trouble.
Yeah, that would have just been too much