Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

What ever happened to G.E. Smith - that creepy looking guy from SNL's band?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-22-03, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did they fire him a few years back? I can't immagine he quit.
Old 06-22-03, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Following his departure from Saturday Night Live in 95', Smith and his wife, singer/songwriter Taylor Barton created their new label Green Mirror Music.

Smith released his electrifying, high octane CD, 'Incense Herbs, and Oils' in 1998. Between live dates, he has been the musical director and band leader honoring Bob Dylan and Willie Nelson at the Kennedy Center Honors in Washington, D.C. . He also led bands for The Muddy Waters Tribute, and The 1998 and 1999 Mark Twain Awards honoring Richard Pryor and Jonathon Winters which aired on PBS, and Comedy Central. Smith has kept a steady presence on the national scene. Is he too busy? Smith laughs and says, "I haven't slept since the sixties." Rumors are there is a CD in the works for this fall.

Another highlight of Smith's history was hosting an interactive show on the Electric guitar over the internet, on NPR, and a live presentation at for Smithsonian Institute.

1999-2000 brought Smith back to SNL, appearing in the 25th Anniversary show and other guest appearances. He was featured on VH1 in the history of SNL, and even hosted the New Year's Eve bash inaugurating the new Rose Center at the Museum of Natural History, (formerly the Haydn Planetarium).

Smith has played with the broadest possible spectrum of artists, from Red Buttons to Allen Ginsberg, from Desmond Child to Bob Dylan and all points in between.

Source: http://www.greenmirror.com/gebio.html
Old 06-22-03, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That guy's just creepy, no matter how productive he's been and how illustrious a career he's had. I was fully expecting to hear he'd OD'd on coke... just look at that friggin' nose! Coke-head for sure, no doubt about it. And he's a short mo too... I mean, major short. They had him on a soapbox for SNL, serious. Oh, you think I'm lyin'? Did you ever see him move? Shoot, Dr. Ruth and even Theo Fleury are taller than that guy.
Old 06-22-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why did he leave the show?
Old 06-22-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

He used to be the guitarist (along with SNL bassist T-Bone Walk (sp?)) for Hall and Oates before the SNL gig.

You can see them in a bunch of early Hall and Oates videos.
Old 06-23-03, 09:03 AM

I liked him, too.

Don't know how true it is, but when he left/was fired (?), I had heard that the SNL execs told him to tone done his mugging for the camera. I guess his musical numbers and solos were taking too much away from the rest of the musicians and the skits. Again, this was what I remember hearing at the time - it might be B.S.

Here's an interesting trivia tidbit that I just found out last year - Smith was married to Gilda Radner. They divorced in the early 80's, and following the divorce, she started her relationship with Gene Wilder.
Old 06-23-03, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yep, I remember when he and Gilda got married, early in SNL...

Around the same time as his work with Hall & Oates, he was also the lead guitarist for Dan Hartman (two-hit wonder: Instant Replay; I Can Dream About You), and shows up in his videos & band pix...

Last edited by adamblast; 06-23-03 at 11:07 AM.
Old 06-23-03, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

G.E Smith was fired from the SNL because they thaught the show would be funnier without him

I have the HALL&OATES dvd 7 Big Ones and he was there lead guitarist from 1980-1988 and thus appears in all their videos..

He wasn't there on the A&E Live by request show they did a couple of months ago..They sounded great by the way. Daryl Hall IS still on of the best pop singers ever
Old 06-23-03, 05:47 PM
Wag

He kind of has the Nicko McBrain thing going on (drummer for Iron Maiden).

http://www.ironmaiden.com/?section=5&subsection=7
Old 06-24-03, 10:07 AM

Originally posted by shanester
G.E Smith was fired from the SNL because they thaught the show would be funnier without him
Sorry, I probably should have clarified. Now that I read my post it does sound like that.

From what I understand, I guess he was hogging up to much camera time with his solos and stuff (when fading out to commercials), and SNL wanted him to be more of a "background" person to blend in with the rest of the musicians so they could cram more skits in during an episode. Basically, they didn't feel they had to devote an extra 2 or 3 minutes per show to film him mugging for the camera on his extended solos - they could use that extra time for the skits.

My guess is that SNL thought (unjustly, perhaps) the show was slowly evolving into the G.E. Smith show with some occasionally funny skits thrown in, as opposed to a funny skit show with a band tossed in for some music. He was becoming a unique personality separate from the band as a whole and they didn't want the focus to turn toward any of the musicians as individuals. Of course, that's just my guess.
Old 06-24-03, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

He was also in David Bowie's band for a while, and can be seen in Bowie's video for "Fashion".
Old 06-24-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I can totally understand tiring of his mugging. It was noticably annoying to me but he sure had nice guitars.
Old 06-24-03, 12:17 PM

Originally posted by Wag
He kind of has the Nicko McBrain thing going on (drummer for Iron Maiden).

http://www.ironmaiden.com/?section=5&subsection=7

That's a terrible thing to say about Nicko!

Up the irons'!
Old 06-24-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by shanester
Daryl Hall IS still on of the best pop singers ever
"You're living in DREAMTIME, baby."

Seriously I doubt the "mugging" thing is true about G.E. Smith. The extended solo stuff was probably ASKED for to pad out the show. Usually skit shows that are filmed live have a band playing music during the "commerical breaks" and between skits while costumes are changed and sets are reset for a new skit. The music helps keep the crowd upbeat instead of getting bored waiting for the next thing to happen.

If NBC was showing extended solos of Smith (and I distinctly remember them being long and annoying), it was because the producers needed to pad out the show to 90 min b/c they didn't write enough skits. I guess this was considered a better idea than the other option which DID happen as well - the last 20 minutes of the show was CRAP interspersed with a ton of commericals!
Old 06-24-03, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I can't see him getting fired for getting too much camera time. If they didn't want him on camera, they could have shot other band members, or the sets being changed, or just cut to commercial sooner. He wasnt the producer or director. He got as much camera time as the higher-ups must have wanted him to.