Reload this Page >

Angel season one/two question

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-21-03, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 195 Likes on 151 Posts

I have been catching up on some of my Buffyverse with my DVDs this weekend, and caught the "Expecting" episode of Angel. While it was eventually a creature of the week ep like the rest, I thought it did a good job of portraying the shock and fear of unwanted pregnancy with some good acting by Charisma Carpenter (well, for her anyways).

My question is regarding Det. Kate Lockley (Elisabeth Rohm). I think she is a very attractive woman and found out that she is on some series right now. Anyway, according to imdb, she left the show around season two. I was wondering what happened to her character, as she wasn't around for any of seasons three or four. It's okay to spoil me!
Old 06-22-03, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
I think this is how they closed her arc (I haven't seen any further than S1, btw):

Spoiler:
She had trouble coping with her newfound knowledge of the supernatural world around her, and eventually attempted to commit suicide.

Angel was able to stop her, by going into her apartment despite the fact that she had never invited him in. Which was brought up as a plot point, I believe.

Following that, I think she just left LA or something.
Old 06-22-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh-da-man
I think this is how they closed her arc (I haven't seen any further than S1, btw):

Spoiler:
She had trouble coping with her newfound knowledge of the supernatural world around her, and eventually attempted to commit suicide.

Angel was able to stop her, by going into her apartment despite the fact that she had never invited him in. Which was brought up as a plot point, I believe.

Following that, I think she just left LA or something.
Dang, that's uneventful. Apparently she left LA and went to New York to work with the cops of Law and Order.
Old 06-22-03, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, that's basically how it ended for her. She should have stayed on Angel; it would have been better for both shows...
Old 06-22-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RolloTomasi
Yeah, that's basically how it ended for her. She should have stayed on Angel; it would have been better for both shows...

She still on Law and Order?
Old 06-23-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Kate leaving Angel was the begining of the end.
Old 06-23-03, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One thing I've wondered about Angel since his series started: where does he get all of the money to run his investigations and pay Cordelia? Not to mention afford a nice place in L.A.
Old 06-23-03, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,677 Likes on 1,847 Posts
Originally posted by Dr. DVD
One thing I've wondered about Angel since his series started: where does he get all of the money to run his investigations and pay Cordelia? Not to mention afford a nice place in L.A.
See, I've often wondered that myself.

He's got a nice car, a huge apartment, the big office, a nice wardrobe.

Now a regular vampire, we can assume, would just roll his victims for cash and jewelry, or steal what he or she needs. No problem.

But Angel doesn't have victims, and he doesn't seem the type to commit larceny.

The guy has to packing some pretty serious bucks to afford all of that stuff. I guess he came from a wealthy family, but I doubt "old money" reaches that far. Maybe he made some good investments back in the day, but in "Five by Five" Cordelia said he didn't have a portfolio.
Old 06-24-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Angel doesn't get his money from his past. Angel spent up until '97 alone on the streets, if he had money he would have used it for butchers blood, and he was starving, so we can rule that out. Much of the money he got in '97 (when he met Buffy) for "establishing" purposes can be assumed to be taken from victims, demon victims. Perhaps maybe Whistler. Who knows? He is not an untalented person and could have done tasks for others.

By the time he's in LA though, during the early Angel seasons, he's actually pretty poor. No doubt the costs of moving cities. They get their money from clients (remember, Angel is a detective agency mostly) but by season 3, this gets pretty much thrown out and there we go. In the start of season 2, Angel gets the money for the hotel from some old stolen money from the 50s, he uses the rest to give to someone else... though I can't recall if he gets some back at the end of the episode. He's also invested some of it with the billionare who likes to play D&D, I recall.
Old 06-24-03, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I see....
Old 06-24-03, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
She still on Law and Order?
Yes, and unfortunately, she has the reputation of being their worst regular ever. Rollo is right: it would have been better for both shows.
Old 06-24-03, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by adamblast
Yes, and unfortunately, she has the reputation of being their worst regular ever. Rollo is right: it would have been better for both shows.
She a snob to other actors or something?
Old 06-24-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 439 Likes on 307 Posts
Didn't Angel Co. get a bunch of money (as in almost millions) from that computer geek guy that was fashioned after Bill Gates (he was also in Office Space and Mad TV) less than half-way through season one?
Old 06-24-03, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
She a snob to other actors or something?
Nope, the fans just really hate her on Law and Order. And I mean hate. She's less popular than Wesley on TNG.

People say she's ugly compared to past ladies--to which I not only disagree, but I say: what is this, Baywatch?

More importantly, people say she can't act her way out of a paper bag, although I sure didn't notice any problem that way on Angel. I was dissapointed when she left.

Since I don't really watch L&O, I can't account for the discrepancy.

Last edited by adamblast; 06-24-03 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-24-03, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I belive he helps Angel invest some money. Angel does do a case for him, and no doubt recived a large sum as payment, but I doubt it was in the millions. I could be wrong though.
Old 06-24-03, 09:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by adamblast
Nope, the fans just really hate her on Law and Order. And I mean hate. She's less popular than Wesley on TNG.
People on Fark LOVE Wesley.

(OK, so it doesn't flow like "People in Germany love...", but it's a start)
Old 06-24-03, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Her acting ability was very fitting to her role on Angel, but I don't see it being great on other types of roles. I don't watch L&O, so I don't know what she plays.