DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Second Season "Project Greenlight" this Sunday! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/300295-second-season-project-greenlight-sunday.html)

Chew 06-20-03 06:23 AM

Second Season "Project Greenlight" this Sunday!

Just a heads up: the second season premiere of "Project Greenlight" starts this Sunday at 10:30EST.

After a brief overview of the Project Greenlight contest by its creators, the season begins with the narrowing down of the top 50 scripts (from an initial 7,000!) to ten, and the directors down to four. Matt, Ben and Chris personally call the finalists to summon them to the 2003 Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah. The excitement of arriving at this indie-film mecca soon turns to anxiety, however, as the judging panel screen directors' scene assignments and observe the screenwriters pitching their stories. Finally, six scripts are eliminated - and four directors and four writers are left standing.
Link

Between picking a director and a writer, this sounds like a great season ahead. I can just picture all the onset bickering now........

mdc3000 06-20-03 10:32 AM

I can't wait for this to air in Canada... this show is easily one of the best behind-the-scenes things I've ever seen... it really showed the moviemaking process and of course, all the backstabbing was awesome...

MATT

PacMan2006 06-20-03 11:12 AM

Thanks Chew. I liked the first one and had NO idea a second was on the way.

SERPICO7 06-20-03 09:17 PM

What Happened to the first Project Grennlight Winner Pete Jones. I hope hes not working the drive throw window at a burger king somewhere.

DRG 06-21-03 01:16 PM

I entered a script for this contest, so I need to find someone with HBO to tape this for this. It was a very fun process to be involved in. I made it to the top 250, which I was proud of for my first ever attempt to write a screenplay. In retrospect there are a lot of things I could fix in it. I hope they do this again. Maybe I should start writing now instead of a months before the submission deadline. :).

Dr_Evil 06-22-03 11:22 PM

I watched the premiere tonight and thought that it was a fun show. The final four directors all submited some very impressive work.

Spoiler:
I thought that Dragen should have been chosen to direct instead of the duo. His JFK take on that script was brilliant and the shots in the scene were stunning too. I wouldn't be surprised to see him make it in the business. I'm glad that chick that was all excited about the Battle of Shaker Heights was not selected. She said how she was so into it and dedicated, but never said how she would approach the project, or what she could contribute.

I'lll definitely keep watching this one.

JonTurner 06-23-03 01:15 AM

Very entertaining, and a few hilarious lines from Affleck... that Prisoner project sounded very interesting - I hope it's somehow picked up. Oh yeah, and "Cheeks," ha, I was really hoping that would win since everyone acted like it was an actually intelligent movie about strippers. I'd watch that!! And speaking of the runners-up, I seem to recall from the first episodes last season hearing that Miramax made some sort of deal with one of the writer/directors other than Pete... anyone know whatever happened with that?

Anyway, the show completely changes course after the first episode, and I'll definitely be watching. I do wish it was in HD though.

Chew 06-23-03 06:57 AM

I haven't seen the episode yet, but wanted to ask:

My TiVo is pulling in multiple "new" episodes per week! I believe, according to the TiVo, the next first-run episode is Tuesday (even the episode descriptions are different).

Did they advertise anything stating this?

das Monkey 06-23-03 07:17 AM

I think last night's premiere was technically two back-to-back 30 minute eps. Although it was sent down to the guides as an hour long block, repeats may be coming down in 30 minute chunks.

das

Neitzl 06-23-03 07:52 AM

Great episode, I really liked last seasons shows, but this one seems better right off the bat, since these directors KNOW what they are doing. There was a great line that I think Affleck said, something like:
This year seems like a real movie.

Oh man I was laughing so much. I did watch Stolen Summer and thought it was pretty bad, and really was an after school special. Anyhow, about the directors that were chosen. I really didn't like what I saw about their test movie. It wasn't funny, or dark, from what was shown.
Dragen, I thought, was the best of the four.
I really didn't like the writer of Prisoner. What an ego, it seemed.

joefrog91 06-23-03 07:58 AM

Sorry about that. I thought I had used a spoiler tag. I just posted and didn't come back to this thread afterwards. I've deleted my post and apologize for any inconvenience that I've caused.

Chew 06-24-03 06:17 AM

Originally posted by joefrog91
The Blockbuster newsletter I receive already listed the cast.

You should really spoilerize that! Part of the fun of watching this show is to see who is cast and who isn't.

Now we know :(

As to the episodes: I think the script they ended up picking was the pretty obvious choice from the way most of the producers, writers, and directors all responded to it.

The directors who won did a great job in their submission film. (well, they all did. But I liked their short the best)

Iron Chef 06-24-03 07:38 AM

joefrog91, spoiler tags are your friend. Please learn how to use them in this thread:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=187564

You just ruined part of the show for me. :mad:

shaggybrown 06-24-03 03:05 PM

What was the name of the Dennis Leary knock off of Project Green light. Now that was some funny stuff. It took about two episodes for me to realize it was a work, not a real documentary.

das Monkey 06-24-03 03:16 PM

<I>Contest Searchlight</I>

Incredibly funny stuff. "Jesus ... and the ga-a-ang ..."

das

Patman 06-29-03 11:17 PM

Tonight's 2nd hour was just as entertaining. I love the comments by the producer and exec producer, and also if we were to cast Project Greenlight 2: the movie, I'd go with Jim J. Bullock for Joseph (the casting dude).

Ephram asking for a car was such a dumb thing to do so early in the game.

Anyhow, I'm all caught up, and looking forward to this fun look at how amatuers get a chance to make a film.

ChefWinduAZ 06-30-03 02:13 AM

I read the screenplay for The Battle of Shaker Heights last night and I have to say it seems like it should make a good film.

Dacoops3 06-30-03 03:20 AM

Originally posted by WWE Jedi
I read the screenplay for The Battle of Shaker Heights last night and I have to say it seems like it should make a good film.
How/where can you get the screenplay from?

Chew 06-30-03 06:05 AM

Originally posted by Dacoops3
How/where can you get the screenplay from?
Looks to be available from the Project Greenlight website:

http://projectgreenlight.liveplanet....iter/top10.jsp

Jadzia 06-30-03 11:03 AM

I have to admit it is entertaining to see how lackadaisical these two directors seem to be. They are acting like their job doesn't start until the shooting begins. I think they are going to be a little freaked out when they realize they aren't making videos in Maine anymore.

"Do we have to hire a production designer?" :lol:

Iron Chef 06-30-03 11:17 AM

I love that the Director of Photography took himself out of the running after that disasterous meeting. Those directors have a lot of growing up to do.

Jadzia 06-30-03 11:21 AM

Those video letters to the stars they wanted to cast were also cringe-inducing.

Khalid 06-30-03 11:26 AM

Are the directors wearing mascara? My gf kept saying they should fire them and get another "winner."

Since that one dude asked for a car, they should get him Bruce Willis' Gremlin (or whatever POS) he was driving in Miramax's Pulp Fiction just to push raccoon-eyed director seriously over the edge.

G. Noel Gross 06-30-03 11:27 AM

There's no better expose on today's Hollywood "system" ... even though the very concept of Greenlight suggests bucking that moviemaking machine. It's more obvious this season as the stakes are obviously higher after Stolen Summer sank.

Anyone see the irony of an "expert" like Chris Moore receiving progress updates on the set of the THIRD apple-pie diddling flick? I just love it. Even while I'm wretching.

joefrog91 06-30-03 11:28 AM

These guys have no idea what they are doing. I just got through being an extra on the new Alamo movie and there were tons of people helping the director out. First AD, Second AD, Second Second AD, Production Designer, Costume Designer, several PA's and so on and so on.

I know these guys have made small films in Portland, ME, but they're in the big time now. And asking for a car because the writer got one was so childish.

I think if I were the director, I would have stuck to my guns about editing the movie myself, but then gave in to the casting decisions.