Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Second Season "Project Greenlight" this Sunday!

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Second Season "Project Greenlight" this Sunday!

Old 06-30-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Balis can't win.

Moore tells him to be more agressive, and when he is Moore shoots him down and slam dunks him.

That whining bit about the car had me cringing. What a whiny ass.

I can't wait for the shnit to hit the fan next week.
Old 06-30-03, 11:50 AM

This is going to be hysterical, these guys are like some bad Saturday Night Live sketch. Very pathetically laid back, and then ridiculously aggressive when it's too late. The fact that they questioned needing a production designer elicited big guffaws; the idea that they wanted to edit the film themselves had me cringing. Chris Moore was all in favor of the idea, because he knows this film is gonna suck, and he can save money on production.

But I have to say, unless you're Coen Brothersesque, and have developed, storyboarded and funded your own film, hire an Editor!!! I think it's interesting that they have zero time in Pre-Pro. It almost feels like Project Greenlight is set up so that the filmmakers are destined to make a bad movie. Better Television. So much can go wrong.
Old 06-30-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I still say they picked the wrong director. The guy that did the mental ward movie was the best one. That looked like a professional movie. It was amazing.
Old 06-30-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
It feels like I was watching:

Project Dumbass x 2
Old 06-30-03, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman

Project Dumbass x 2
The filming of Stolen Dumberer.

Last edited by Jadzia; 06-30-03 at 03:28 PM.
Old 06-30-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Battle of Skanks who Bite(?)
Old 06-30-03, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Battle of Skanks who Bite(?)
Or the Battle of Pastey Whites.
Old 06-30-03, 03:38 PM

Does anyone else have the impression that Chris (my hair looks different in every scene) Moore, Ben, Matt and the others actually picked the people they thought would be the most entertaining (i.e. likely for conflict, problems and reasonable...but not studio destroying...screwups) because it would make the HBO show better? I mean, come on, Miramax only puts $1 million into the actual movie...that's peanuts to what they are probably making off the show running on HBO, being released on DVD, etc.

I mean did Pete Jones ever do ANYTHING after Stolen Summer? And that movie wasn't as horrible as last year's show would have led you to believe.
Old 06-30-03, 04:53 PM

Whats going to eventually kill Project Greenlight for good is the beginning process of letting fellow struggling screenwriters and directors judge each others stuff. The final contenders are chosen by contestants that have zero too know talent and have know clue what a good script is. Its amazing to me that with over 7,000 contestants the best they could find for the first Project Greenlight was Pete Jones. Bottom line is Matt and Ben hated chosing him but they had know chose. All the other scripts sucked.

Take a look at the directors for this year. Ben and Matt really fuc-ed up. Do these guys even have a heart beat. The two of them have know personality and zero communication skills. How the hell are they going to communicate what they want too the actors, DP, PA , and crew if they cant even communicate what they want in a simple conference meeting with very little pressure on them. What do you think well happen when they get into a pressure packed decision making situation on location. These guys are dead wood. Watching paint dry would be better then having to listen and watch these two morons direct this train wreck. The person too fell sorry for is the poor screenwriter. I like her but when she ask chris moore for co producer credit on the film I thought she was way out of line. The bottom line is this show not going to start any careers, its going to do the opposite and kill film careers before they even get off the ground. If I were in need of contestants for a hot dog eating contest Pete Jones is my man but for writing and directing Ill have to pass. I really think the writer of Battle for shacker heights has alot of talent. Its too bad her script going to get killed by those two morons.

Last edited by SERPICO7; 06-30-03 at 08:00 PM.
Old 06-30-03, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by SERPICO7
I really think the writer of Battle for shacker heights has alot of talent. Its too bad her script going to get killed by those two morons.
Makes you wonder if they should have chosen the female director (I can't remember her name, sorry) who wanted Battle of Shaker Heights and nothing else. She did seem a bit too, umm, demanding during the presentation, though.
Old 06-30-03, 05:04 PM

Originally posted by DGibFen
Makes you wonder if they should have chosen the female director (I can't remember her name, sorry) who wanted Battle of Shaker Heights and nothing else. She did seem a bit too, umm, demanding during the presentation, though.

She really wanted it but she had no real vision for the film and she was really nutty but maybe someone whos crazy would have been a better chose.They should have chosen that blond haired kid who shot the kennedy assasination film.
Old 06-30-03, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SERPICO7
She really wanted it but she had no real vision for the film and she was really nutty but maybe someone whos crazy would have been a better chose.They should have chosen that blond haired kid who shot the kennedy assasination film.
I was hoping she would get it because she responded so enthusiastically to the material and was so passionate about it.

I don't think think she did not have a vision for the film, I think her problem was she did not express her vision during the interview. She spent the interview talking about how much she wanted it and not what she would do with it.
Old 06-30-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The JFK, party, and mental ward directors were all better than the directors they picked. I really have no clue why they picked them.
Old 06-30-03, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't see the entire videos the directors submitted, but it seems like the two that won just did quirky little CGI effects on their computer and that was the only thing that made them stick out. Other than the effects, their videos looked pretty homemade.

I have to wonder how they will approach a narrative type film without resorting to cutesy special effects.
Old 07-01-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

This season might have needed to be re-titled:

Project Redlight

I would die if Larry David somehow showed up on this "show" but he's on HBO, so that's probably out of the realm of possibility.
Old 07-02-03, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Blaster1
I still say they picked the wrong director. The guy that did the mental ward movie was the best one. That looked like a professional movie. It was amazing.
Yeah, I agree. I never watched any of the first season. And I was home one night & caught themn airing the first 2 episodes of this season & I was hooked. And that guy that did the mental ward movie was phenomenal. The one thing that bugs me though is the script they chose. To me, the boy that is miserable with his life b/c of flaky parents is just so done to death. But what makes me get so into this season is how annoying & how much I hate the 2 directors they chose. If that is me in their position, I am as a million question on everything, & being as forceful as I can. I just don't get their attitude (or lack their of). And I really like Chris Moore, he is the kind of person I am & like to work for. He knows what he wants, he knows what he is doing.
Old 07-02-03, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Without intending to defend the choices made on the show, we should realize that we only see the smallest amount of what's actually going on. Countless things could be going very well, but that's not good television, so we won't see it. Also, anything having to do with the actual film's content (like all the ideas the directors had for the script in their interview) will be cut from the show to keep from spoiling the film. Consequently, none of us is particularly qualified to judge whether they picked the right directors for the script, since we're seeing tiny pieces and through an incredibly distorted perspective.

das
Old 07-02-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts
I thought the two they picked had the lowest quality production of the four finalists. They used their humor and editing to sell themselves. I think Miramax had no faith in any movie that this show was going to produce, and wanted to make sure that the show was at least interesting and gets good ratings.
Old 07-06-03, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I cannot stand the two directors and that fruity dude either (don't know his name).

The two "directors" are real *******, but I really hate how that one fruity dude treats them.

Tonight he was so happy to tell them that they would have to go with the Malcolm in the Middle woman. Hello. He is a real go getter.

But I was screaming at those directors when they think they can get their way: "IT'S MIRAMAX YOU IDIOTS."

Chris Moore is pretty cool though. And a real Rico Suave with the chair.
Old 07-06-03, 10:29 PM

Put Kyle and Efram's head together and you get an a**. They are a week away from shooting, they haven't finished casting and they want to write their own version script?!?!??

Here's an idea for them.

FADE IN

INT. MIRAMAX STUDIOS - NIGHT (January 18th, 2003)

HARVEY W. sits restlessly at his desk as BEN announces the finalists for the new "Greenlight." Sweat runs down Harvey's face.

HARVEY
Two directors, Ben? Are you sure that's a good idea?

Ben smiles reassuringly.

BEN
What's the worst that could happen?

FADE OUT
Old 07-07-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well, the cast is up for the movie at imdb.com.
Spoiler:
It looks like they get their way for the mother role.
Old 07-07-03, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Project Dumbass x 2
If someone let me direct a movie and told me that I had to cast das monkey as the lead, I would say, "no problem, let's go make a great film."

I realize the worst (most entertaining) stuff is shown for tv, but these guys are ridiculous. I would have taken a pinto if that's what they had. In fact, I would have asked for a pinto to show them I didn't care about what kind of car I drove (if indeed his car was no longer going to operate and he needed one).

I've seen the cast at imdb and it's horrible. It's probably going to be a disaster. And from what I've seen, it sure looks like they worry more about getting people to make the show a good soap opera than getting really committed filmmakers.
Old 07-07-03, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Actually, if I were Chris Moore, and Ephram was giving me lip about the casting of the mom, I'd ask Ephram how he liked that Landrover he was driving, and then to STFU!
Old 07-07-03, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

At least now I know how Chris Moore got so freakin' fat ... is there ever a meeting where they are not eating? Last season, you couldn't find a shot of Affleck without a beer in his hand. This season, you can't find a shot of Moore without a cheeseburger. And speaking of Moore, I can understand the stylistic approach to the opening titles, and it looks kinda cool with Damon's blue eyes and Erica's smile, but poor Chris looks like he's strung out on heroine in those opening shots. American Pie 3: How Long Can We Cash in on This? must be very stressful.

das
Old 07-07-03, 08:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe Chris is going for the role of Kingpin in the Daredevil sequel since he's on good terms with Affleck...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.