DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   question about real world/road rules/any of these mtv like shows (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/299842-question-about-real-world-road-rules-any-these-mtv-like-shows.html)

atari2600 06-17-03 11:58 PM

question about real world/road rules/any of these mtv like shows

why is they ALWAYS have the token black person and gay person (or lesbian)? we get the idea mtv. i think its almost insulting that they do it because its blantantly obvious that they are letting people in because of their race or sexual preference, which people shouldnt even be looked at like that. we are all people. no color, no race, no nothing.

anyone else agree or am i being dumb?

Jackskeleton 06-18-03 12:42 AM

they try to please every brand of audiance.. they try to hard.

tofu 06-18-03 10:01 AM

They're not trying that hard. If they were, we'd have a token asian girl every time too. But they only have one of those every 3 seasons.

Red Dog 06-18-03 10:14 AM

Yeah - it can be annoying but it is not always the case. Real World Vegas didn't have any gay housemates and I don't recall there being any black/white issues either.

atari2600 06-18-03 02:38 PM

well how come there is always ONE? its like he/she is just thrown in there and then they are like "well we hit our quota..."

toq 06-18-03 02:57 PM

atari2600, that's probably it. At one point, I believe I read some criticism (from the NAACP?) regarding the lack of African-Americans on primetime shows, especially NBC with the prime example being "Friends". Now, it's difficult to tell whether the cast was constructed or the storyline created to conveniently include a member of a minority group. Remember, they're not only trying to appease certain political groups but their advertisers as well. They're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't so perhaps this is the compromise that's been made.

fujishig 06-18-03 03:16 PM

Even most reality shows on network tv obviously try to have an ethnic diversity. Although I can't remember off-hand when a minority ever won one of those...

I'm surprised no one's ever complained that they've only ever had white bachelor/bachelorette/joemillionaire/etc. I mean the contestants are usually at least somewhat diverse, but the main person is always white...

Red Dog 06-18-03 03:19 PM

Originally posted by fujishig

I'm surprised no one's ever complained that they've only ever had white bachelor/bachelorette/joemillionaire/etc. I mean the contestants are usually at least somewhat diverse, but the main person is always white...

I'm sure people have complained.

Pharoh 06-18-03 04:51 PM

Originally posted by tofu
They're not trying that hard. If they were, we'd have a token asian girl every time too. But they only have one of those every 3 seasons.
Now this is a serious offense that needs to be rectified. Who do we call?

garmonbozia 06-18-03 05:14 PM

Originally posted by fujishig
Even most reality shows on network tv obviously try to have an ethnic diversity. Although I can't remember off-hand when a minority ever won one of those...

Vecepia won Survivor whatever season/location that was......