DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   TNN's "uncut" movies. Huh? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/299798-tnns-uncut-movies-huh.html)

caiman 06-17-03 08:23 PM

TNN's "uncut" movies. Huh?

Right now I'm watching "Scarface UNCUT on the new TNN." A parental warning came on before it, claiming that the movie is being shown in its entirety, and it contains graphic violence and intense language. I start watching, and it's edited. All the language is cut out. How exactly does TNN define "uncut"?

Jackskeleton 06-17-03 08:32 PM

Uncut though with the FCC standards still in place.

Cut them some slack, It's bad enough spike lee is sueing them, the last thing they need is the FCC coming down on them.. ;)

Rypro 525 06-17-03 08:34 PM

uncut according to tnn is all violence, no f words. I think the godfather 1 and 2 were both completly uncut

Rypro 525 06-17-03 08:55 PM

Is the dvd print worse? This print looks very good, other then its in pan and scan.

Jackskeleton 06-17-03 08:58 PM

The dvd is pretty bad, but fear not, the new version will come out in august.

Rypro 525 06-17-03 09:04 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
The dvd is pretty bad, but fear not, the new version will come out in august.
i knew that part, but if someone puts tnn on now, and has the dvd, is the print much worse on dvd? The usa network version was horrid. Also, this one has a clear soundtrack. I might rent the vhs (gasp).

Drexl 06-17-03 10:37 PM

I think they mean that it is "uncut" in the way that Eyes Wide Shut (U.S. theatrical release and Region 1 DVD) is in that they didn't actually cut anything out. Technically the film is the same length, even if you don't see and/or hear everything originally in it.

Wag The Frog 06-17-03 10:44 PM

One thing it used to mean was that they wouldn't show that stupid black bar on the bottom of the screen during the film. Since it looks like they've finally ditched that horrid thing, I don't know what it really means now. Probably somewhere in between censored and uncut.

freedexter 06-17-03 10:49 PM

Yahoo Mail bothered me for weeks about USA Network airing "Meet the Parents" uncut.

Really, considering that all the words that are usually bleeped are bleeped, and there were commerical breaks. How silly.

Jackskeleton 06-17-03 10:50 PM

Maybe they are trying to send a message to spike lee.. "You $%$# with us and we will send tony after you"

Groucho 06-17-03 10:51 PM

It seems that instead of bleeping, muting, or replacing the words they are lowering the volume on them so you can barely hear 'em.

RoQuEr 06-18-03 02:02 AM

I kinda think the edited version is funnier.

"you freaking pineapple!"

acmeee 06-18-03 07:26 AM

Yeah, sometimes the replacement words can be pretty funny. I was watching one of the Die Hard movies on TV a while ago, and they kept replacing MFer with "melon farmer."

rabbit77 06-18-03 09:18 AM

Originally posted by acmeee
Yeah, sometimes the replacement words can be pretty funny. I was watching one of the Die Hard movies on TV a while ago, and they kept replacing MFer with "melon farmer."
But you forgot the most famous of all swear-substitutes within that same film:

Yipee Kay-yay, Mr. Falcon.

DGibFen 06-18-03 09:52 AM

They are showing "The Usual Suspects" tonight uncut. Anyone watched it on TNN to see if it is actually uncut? (Besides the fact it's in Pan and Scan...)

Josh Z 06-18-03 09:55 AM

Originally posted by acmeee
Lethal Weapon usually winds up with a lot of "Flip you" and "You flipping airhead" references.

BT 06-18-03 11:06 AM

Originally posted by DGibFen
They are showing "The Usual Suspects" tonight uncut. Anyone watched it on TNN to see if it is actually uncut? (Besides the fact it's in Pan and Scan...)
I saw the commercial for this while watching a bit of Scarface last night and was going to ask the very same question... However after reading the posts above, I don't think it'll contain any new footage, rather it'll just be the entire movie with all the swearing bleeped, but no footage cut.

So nothing extra, but nothing lost (other than the swearing). Shady advertising if you ask me.

-BT

GuessWho 06-18-03 11:21 AM

Saw a few minutes of TNN's Scarface...

Only the F-bonb was edited out as far as I saw.
The S-bomb was flowing freely.

Rypro 525 06-18-03 11:32 AM

How is the transfer last night compared to the dvd?

BizRodian 06-18-03 02:11 PM

How about we give TNN a lawsuit that is half credible and sue them for saying it's "uncut" when really the sides are off :P

Groucho 06-18-03 02:21 PM

Originally posted by Josh Z
Lethal Weapon usually winds up with a lot of "Flip you" and "You flipping airhead" references.
I just saw some of the "uncut" The Usual Suspects on TNN and they did the same thing. They had Benecio Del Toro saying "He'll flip ya. He'll flip ya for real." -rolleyes- I turned it off in disgust.

PJsig08 06-18-03 02:52 PM

Originally posted by GuessWho
Saw a few minutes of TNN's Scarface...

Only the F-bonb was edited out as far as I saw.
The S-bomb was flowing freely.

They were definitely droppin' S-bombs left and right...this at 11:30PM at night or so. Pretty cool, I guess.

And this transfer, on TV, was terrible...I've seen divx copies of Scarface that look much much better.

shaggybrown 06-18-03 03:14 PM

How about in Johny Dangerously when they changed that one guy's words to "you Forking corksucker!" and "forking icehole". That was rediculous!

caligulathegod 06-18-03 06:14 PM

My favorite is Smokey and the Bandit. They couldn't get Jackie Gleason to overdub his profanity so they got Henry Cordon AKA (post Alan Reed) Fred Flintstone to dub him. You half expect him to yell YABBA DABBA DOO!

BizRodian 06-18-03 09:47 PM

I just saw some of the "uncut" The Usual Suspects on TNN and they did the same thing. They had Benecio Del Toro saying "He'll flip ya. He'll flip ya for real." I turned it off in disgust.
Land of the free :)

Freedom from a bad word in a movie about mature subject matter that is on at a time when all kids are in bed :) :D