DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   I just heard an S-bomb on Bravo. Is this usual? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/298269-i-just-heard-s-bomb-bravo-usual.html)

JoeyOhhhh 06-11-03 01:07 AM

I just heard an S-bomb on Bravo. Is this usual?

I don't watch alot of the Bravo channel, but I happen to be up late and Larry Sanders is on.

The night before I caught it and was complaining to myself how Bravo couldn't do this show justice since the language is too harsh.

Anyways tonight I'm watching Sanders and Hank lets out an S-bomb (he calls someone a s***bag, but thats neither here nor there).

Does Bravo let this language go unedited past certain times?

Either way a step in the right direction (provided it wasn't a screwup).

BizRodian 06-11-03 02:20 AM

Hasn't Bravo always allowed that? Of course, I bet we get a different version here in Canada... it's weird though, because I hear S**t fairly often during primetime, and f*** sometimes on news reports... and on lots of shows airing after ten (such as Osbournes.)

I'm curious, is it actually a LAW that says you can't do this, or is it just ruled by TV stations base marketing?

otmetrud 06-11-03 07:24 AM

It's not a law. Just a puritanical custom based in the belief that people will be offended by racy language and boycott the advertisers on that show. The advertisers would then be forced to take a stand and pull their advertising, which would then force the network into bankruptcy. Bad, bad for everyone.

Patman 06-11-03 07:25 AM

They curse on "Lucky" on FX, which is on after 10 p.m. EDT.

BizRodian 06-11-03 08:23 AM

otmetrud: Interesting... and does anyone actually care? I somehow doubt people would care if they had stuff that would be R rated in the movies on after 10pm.

I'm just always totally puzzled that they think people would care. I think it would attract more viewers.

I just don't understand american tv standards. One Saturday afternoon, Fox played Starship Troopers, showing people getting ripped apart and lit on fire... but they couldn't say the "s" word. :O Far different from when I watched Predator in England, during primetime, where they kept all the lewd jokes intact, showed it in widescreen, but didn't show any skinning... gah! I can't have it both ways.

AgtFox 06-11-03 11:53 AM

I think the S-word is OK in this day and age of TV, although I think it is pushed to the 10pm ET zone and after. Chicago Hope was the first broadcast show to say the S-word, Mark said it before he died on ER and who can forget when South Park did the running counter on the amount of times s*** was said in the episode?

As someone said before, Lucky uses it a lot and I'd be willing to bet it was also used on The Shield, which is on the same network. Heck, last night's episode of Lucky had him saying s*** at least 3 times.

Wag 06-11-03 01:07 PM

I, too, have watched Larry Sanders on Bravo. I noticed that they basically allowed all curse words except f**k.
And for some reason god d**n has the god part bleeped, but not the d**n part.

JoeyOhhhh 06-11-03 01:44 PM

Last night they had GD it all its DAMNED glory.

And I wouldn't have made a thread about this, but seeing as it was a channel other than a movie or PPV channel it caught me off guard.

briank 06-11-03 02:10 PM

Originally posted by AgtFox
I think the S-word is OK in this day and age of TV, although I think it is pushed to the 10pm ET zone and after. Chicago Hope was the first broadcast show to say the S-word, Mark said it before he died on ER and who can forget when South Park did the running counter on the amount of times s*** was said in the episode?

As someone said before, Lucky uses it a lot and I'd be willing to bet it was also used on The Shield, which is on the same network. Heck, last night's episode of Lucky had him saying s*** at least 3 times.

AHHHHHHH S***!!!! I FORGOT TO WATCH LUCKY LAST NIGHT!
didn't remember untill I saw this thread!
I'll have to record it when it's on later in the week.

Rypro 525 06-11-03 02:52 PM

for the most part, usa network is letting a hole and god damn go by in movies

maiana 06-12-03 10:41 AM

I still hear a-hole bleeped alot but ass is ok. I remember many years ago (1988) watching the network tv premier of Amadeus on Fox and being so excited because it was being showed completely unedited with only 2 commercial breaks. The use the s-word once in that movie, remember this was 15 years ago!