Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Is "Homicide: Life on the Streets" a Good Blind Buy?

TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Old 06-08-03, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have never seen (nor really heard) of this show before. But I hear it's really great. What do people think? And how much did you pay for it (and where)?

The drama box sets I have are 24 and the Shield.

Thanks.
Old 06-08-03, 07:38 PM

If you like The Shield and NYPD Blue.... you're apt to really like Homicide. Great set too.... buy it!
Old 06-08-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just finished watching all 13 episodes. I would definitely recommend this set to anybody. It's different than most cop shows because there's no action or car chases.

It's all dialogue and character driven. The quick editing and Baltimore locations gives the show such a unique style..

The enitre cast is great but the acting chemistry between Bayliss and Pembleton is outstanding!!

You simply can't go wrong with this collection and I'm already awaiting season 3

PS The episode "Three Men And Adena" which takes place entirely in "the box" is one of the best hours (45 mins actually) of television your ever gonna see!!

Enuff Said!..Just go out and by the damn thing..

Last edited by shanester; 06-09-03 at 03:29 AM.
Old 06-08-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
hands down THE BEST blind buy you could EVER make...

it's everything shanester said and more...
Old 06-08-03, 08:56 PM

i just picked this up the other night and it is awesome. i got into this show a couple seasons in and wasn't able to catch the syndication run on Court TV so the episodes were new to me. i'm a huge fan of Law & Order and Homicide is a great compliment, or vice versa. like already mentioned Homicide focuses more on the people solving the crimes instead of the crimes themselves (generally) whereas L&O tries to stay away from the main character's personal lives. on Homicide some cases are solved in 5-10 minutes while others can span 3 episodes. and i agree with shanester, Three Men and Adena is amazing...the way the characters play off one another plays very well.

if you are looking to get this i would recommend checking out the Best Buy website. i originally ordered it from DeepDiscount but found it was backordered so i canceled it. i happened to check the Best Buy site and they are running an online only sale on A&E produced dvds...regular price was $53.99 with a sale price of $43.19 + tax. i chose the in-store pick up option and had it in my hands about an hour and a half after placing the order. if you choose to have it mailed instead of picking it up standard shipping is free. Best Buy ends up being a little more expensive but i hate waiting on backordered items.
Old 06-08-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by shanester
I just finished watching all 13 episodes. I would definitely recommend this set to anybody. It's different than most cop shows because there's no action or car chases.

It's all dialogue and character driven. The quick editing and Baltimore locations gives the show such a unique style..

The enitre cast is great but the acting chemistry between Bayliss and Pembleton is outstanding!!

You simply can't go wrong with this collection and I'm already awaiting season 2

PS The episode "Three Men And Adena" which takes place entirely in "the box" is one of the best hours (45 mins actually) of television your ever gonna see!!

Enuff Said!..Just go out and by the damn thing..
Yes.
Old 06-08-03, 10:22 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Rogue588
hands down THE BEST blind buy you could EVER make...
I agree
Old 06-08-03, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You simply can't go wrong with this collection and I'm already awaiting season 2
Actually, you're awaiting season 3. Seasons 1 and 2 are combined in the first set for a total of 13 episodes (9 in the first season, 4 in the second).
Old 06-08-03, 10:52 PM
Admin Emeritus

Moving to TV Talk.
Old 06-08-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yes.
Old 06-08-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Good luck finding a better show.

das
Old 06-09-03, 03:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DVDude!
Actually, you're awaiting season 3. Seasons 1 and 2 are combined in the first set for a total of 13 episodes (9 in the first season, 4 in the second).
You right!..Thank You..I made the correction
Old 06-09-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk God

Homicide is a fantastic show.
Old 06-09-03, 11:15 AM

The show is unbelievably good. Tom Fontana (St. Elsewhere, OZ) is just amazing when it comes to character-driven writing. "Three Men and Adena" is like nothing you'll see on television.

Please, please buy this set so I can get more seasons of this great show.
Old 06-09-03, 11:22 AM

I'd say get it, I'm trying to avoid spending money, but if I wasn't I'd get this set.
Old 06-09-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You'd be hard pressed to find a show that was better written or had better acting. Run, don't walk to any website or store that still has this in stock. I got mine from Deep Discount for (I think) under $40 but I probably would have paid more. Hopefully A&E won't wait too long to put out Season 3.
Old 06-09-03, 05:09 PM
Mod Emeritus

A truly superb show!
Old 06-09-03, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll second that. Very intense and powerful.

One of THE best shows ever created for Television.

Period.
Old 06-10-03, 12:08 AM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw this on another messageboard and figured you would all enjoy it:

from dvdfile's review of Homicide:LOTS seasons 1&2

"Where Law and Order has a vast terrain of cops, lawyers and thugs to dissect, when you only have a handful of people to deal with week after week, there's only so far you can take it. The episode "Three Men and Adena" is the prime example of this. While there's a little bit of cast introduction and conclusion, the vast majority of the program takes place inside an interrogation room as two of "Homicide's" detectives try to get a confession out of a shady suspect. Interesting, but too limited."

dwk
Old 06-10-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They've got a budding Matt Roush writing over there...
Old 06-10-03, 07:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess it just goes to show you can't please everyone. Like most other people, I think "Three Men & Adena" is one of the best 45 minutes in TV history. Last week I was flipping through some old magazines I have and came across Entertainment Weekly's 100 greatest moments in TV history issue.: "Three Men" came in at 74
Old 06-10-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by nny
from dvdfile's review of Homicide:LOTS seasons 1&2

"Where Law and Order has a vast terrain of cops, lawyers and thugs to dissect, when you only have a handful of people to deal with week after week, there's only so far you can take it. The episode "Three Men and Adena" is the prime example of this. While there's a little bit of cast introduction and conclusion, the vast majority of the program takes place inside an interrogation room as two of "Homicide's" detectives try to get a confession out of a shady suspect. Interesting, but too limited."
Yeah, he's a moron. There's no two ways around that.
Old 06-10-03, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Josh Z
Yeah, he's a moron. There's no two ways around that.

I saw your name as the last post and was hoping it would be something like that.

das
Old 06-10-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I read that DVDFile review and it changed my mind about picking this set up. But, this thread has changed my mind back and I'll be getting it after all.

I should know by now: don't listen to reviewers.
Old 06-10-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Chew
I read that DVDFile review and it changed my mind about picking this set up. But, this thread has changed my mind back and I'll be getting it after all.

I should know by now: don't listen to reviewers.

Dude, just send me an e-mail next time. We can't let this kind of stuff happen.

das

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.