DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   TV Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk-14/)
-   -   Will Party of Five ever arrive on DVD? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/tv-talk/297651-will-party-five-ever-arrive-dvd.html)

Barings 06-08-03 01:08 PM

Will Party of Five ever arrive on DVD?

Okay, I'm putting this in "TV Talk" since it's about a TV series. Moderators, please move if this is the inappropriate forum.

It just seems to me that the media conglomerates are focusing on TV shows that were either comedies in the 1970s or are currently still on the air and are completely ignoring the eighties and nineties.

While I haven't calculated the actual ratios, it seems that every major comedy from the 1970s (think Normal Lear or MASH or MTM) significantly outnumbers shows that started during the 1980s. The only major box sets of network show that fit the eighties/nineties profile that I think of that is the released of Cheers and Mad About You.

Please don't makes comments about NYPD Blue or Law & Order or Frasier being released. I'm not trying to be argumentative, but both those series are still "fresh" in the mind of the viewers because original episodes are still being put on the air.

It seems that unless a series was on within the past five years, such as the short-lived Felicity or Once & Again or SportsNight, the producers seem to ignore it since it has very little recent momentum going for it which they somehow associate with weak demand.

It just seems that there's a big gap for shows that aired and were then cancelled during the eighties and nineties which the major studio heads are not addressing. In my opinion, iconic or cult shows such as Star Trek and Twin Peaks don't count. Whenever I look at this thread , it seems that the a majority of the shows that started after 1982 and was cancelled before 1996 is at the bottom of the dvd authoring list.

Am I the only person that wants to see PO5 on dvd? I'll be the first to admit the show was kind of depressing and comedies are likely to sell much better but what can I say, I was addicted to the melodrama. Any opinions or projections regarding the potential timeline of a dvd release is appreciated.

dwells 06-08-03 05:13 PM

Well, count me as one who would like to see it on DVD.
It was a great show, and it had some of the best individual episodes you will find on TV. The Wedding episode, when Charlie backed out of marrying Kirsten is still to me one of the best hours
of television I have ever seen....

Dennis

FuzzyBallz 06-08-03 05:37 PM

Yeah, I'd love to see the whole series come out on DVD. They had it on rerun on FX shortly after the series finale, but it's during day time, so I missed all the early seasons episodes.

Barings 07-13-03 09:36 PM

It wouldn't bother me so much if it was at least running in syndication so that I could record it off the air. I believe that Lifetime has the rights to air the show, but the network only does special episodes around the holiday season.

My guess is that Golden Girls will arrive on dvd before PO5, considering that it's now considered the "it" show by Entertainment Weekly and pulling in fairly sizable ratings for Lifetime.

Tom Banjo 07-14-03 02:02 AM

I'd like to see it on DVD also. I got addicted to it for a while during the season where Charlie goes through his medical problems. At the end of every episode, I always felt so emotionally drained like I'd never felt before or since about a show.

dolphinboy 07-14-03 03:32 AM

Was it the finale when they had to put the dog to sleep? Boy, I was sobbing at that one.

I loved the show and also wish they'd put in on somewhere or release it on dvd.

beencrazier 07-14-03 09:38 AM

I very rarely make DVD purchases, and I would buy this (provided it wasn't in syndication... if it was on t.v. anyway.... I'd have to think about it.)