Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

I didn't like The Family Guy

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-03, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Love Futurama, South Park, and classic Simpsons (seasons 1-8). Just could never get into Family Guy and I was very surprised when I saw how much love there was for it in this forum.
Old 06-09-03, 09:45 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by Geofferson
I enjoy this show for what it is: un-politically correct cartoons, which is a pretty bold style in this day and age.
I don't think it's too bold. There have been a ton of non-PC cartoons released in this day and age...most have failed. I would say the trend began before "Family Guy."
Old 06-10-03, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
I don't think it's too bold. There have been a ton of non-PC cartoons released in this day and age...most have failed. I would say the trend began before "Family Guy."
Yeah.. like what happened to 'The Critic'. "It stinks".. though I liked it and they even made some Internet short episodes I found somewhere that were amusing flash animations.
Old 06-10-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Didn't Kevin Smith make fun of Family Guy's creator Seth McFarlane in the Clerks animated series?
Old 06-10-03, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
I enjoy Family Guy, but I was sometimes annoyed by the non-sequitor pop culture references and jokes. The worst part is, those kind of jokes have spilled over into the Simpsons. They're cleaver at first, but they really date the show.
Old 06-10-03, 02:06 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I was surprised on the Clerks Animated dvd, in the commentaries, they talk about how Family Guy was one of their most hated shows. That sucks considering how much I love both series.
Old 06-10-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,498 Posts
I didn't know so much talent worked on the voices of Family Guy. Mila Kunis (who replaced Brittany Murphy) was a regular, and they often had the actual celebrities do the voices. Plus Jimmy Kimmel and Adam Corolla, and Ralph Garman from LA's KROQ.

I like the show, though I only caught it every once in a while when it first started airing. It is very un-pc, though, and I'm surprised they got away with a lot of what they did. Love Mayor Adam West, though.
Old 06-10-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just think the idea of a baby with a british accent who wants to kill his own mother and take over the world is pretty funny.
Old 06-10-03, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by RoyalTea
I just think the idea of a baby with a british accent who wants to kill his own mother and take over the world is pretty funny.

That's the only part of the show that I like.
Old 06-10-03, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: I didn't like The Family Guy

Originally posted by Iron Chef
I watched the entire set, and must say that except for a few witty moments with that baby, the show really didn't hold my interest at all. I really couldn't get into it.

I just needed to get that off of my chest.

I hear ya'. I tried watching this show numerous times when it was on TV, and for every chance I gave it, it just disappointed me and violated me in ways I'll never fully understand. There are a few witty moments, but the same could be said about a Happy Days rerun. Over all, I can see why this show was originally cancelled.

I'm glad it's found a fan base on cartoon network, but the show is so derivative that every episode is been there done that and it was better before.
Old 06-10-03, 04:35 PM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Re: Re: I didn't like The Family Guy

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
Well, you suck. No, don't argue, you just do.
Sadly, I must agree...

Honestly, too bad you didn't like it. Me, I think every episode is a classic.

"Hey, I caught Flo-Jo. What makes you think I can't catch you?" - The Griim Reaper
Old 06-11-03, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts
Originally posted by fujishig
Mila Kunis (who replaced Brittany Murphy)
Actually, Kunis replaced Lacey Chabert or whatever her name is.
Old 06-11-03, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by nny
Yeah, I was surprised on the Clerks Animated dvd, in the commentaries, they talk about how Family Guy was one of their most hated shows. That sucks considering how much I love both series.
I was actually astonished when I heard those commentaries. I loved both series also, but Family Guy had the edge just from quantity. I would have thought that Smith and Co. would have loved the irreverent, un-PC Family Guy.

An image I can't get out of my head is from the other night where Peter remembers working as a sneeze guard at a salad bar. He's standing by it in a uniform and an old lady starts to sneeze and he pulls a gun on her. Absolute genius absurdism, how can you not like it?

Oh, and it also introduced "How about a Cleveland Steamer?" into my household's vocabulary, so that's got to count for something.
Old 06-11-03, 09:58 PM

The part that got me hooked was the chicken fight. I mean a 10 minute fight with a guy in a chicken costume over a bad coupon. Before that I didn't catch it much. But that fight was classic.

Here are two of my favorite quotes:

"Butterum's my favorite"

"I feel bad because I promised my wife I wouldn't drink."
"Hey don't feel bad Peter."
"Gee... I guess I never thought of it like that."
Old 06-11-03, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Cmon it can't be that bad. How can you keep watching 15 hours of show if you don't like it?
Old 06-12-03, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just started watching it on Cartoon Network and I think it's pretty hilarious. There will be at least one gag every episode that has me in tears. There isn't much to the stories or characters, they just exist to keep the jokes coming, but it works for me. And I'm not a big slapstick fan but for some reason I think it's the best part of FG. I guess they just execute it really well. Seeing Peter fly into the bookcase or the dentist get the drill in his face has me rolling.

For me it's:

Simpsons > Futurama > Family Guy > South Park

With pretty big drops between first and second and between third and fourth. South Park = teh suck.
Old 06-12-03, 07:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by RoQuEr
Cmon it can't be that bad. How can you keep watching 15 hours of show if you don't like it?
I was giving it a fair chance, unlike the maroons in Movie Talk.
Old 06-12-03, 03:27 PM

Thank you for opening this thread! I didnt have the guts to get flamed so I didnt bring it up, but this show sucks BAD. Second rate WB/UPN material if you ask me.
Old 06-12-03, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Drive-In Nut
Second rate WB/UPN material if you ask me.
like the Oblongs? that show is good too, but its no Family Guy
Old 06-12-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Anyone catch Futurama last night? The one where Fry finds out he is his own grandfather?
Old 06-12-03, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 616 Likes on 495 Posts
Originally posted by huzefa
Anyone catch Futurama last night? The one where Fry finds out he is his own grandfather?

I record it every night. I watched the first few minutes this morning. It might be my favorite episode of Futurama. Dr. Zoidberg is hysterical in this episode.
Old 06-12-03, 09:07 PM
Banned

I guess I really don't care, but I'm just curious...

Why do "Futurama" fans always have to bring it up and post completely off-topic posts about it in "Family Guy" threads? Does this work both ways? I never paid much attention to it before, but do "Family Guy" fans do this in the "Futurama" threads too? Or do the "Futurama" people just feel their threads aren't as cool as "Family Guy" threads?
Old 06-12-03, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Drive-In Nut
Thank you for opening this thread! I didnt have the guts to get flamed so I didnt bring it up, but this show sucks BAD. Second rate WB/UPN material if you ask me.
[Quagmire]Hey shut up![/Quagmire]
Old 06-12-03, 09:58 PM

I think Futurama and Family Guy compliment each other very well.
Old 06-12-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I love Family Guy. True season one isn't as great as the rest, but the first episode Kool-Aid gag was GENIUS.
Also I don't think I have loved many more episodes of any cartoon more than when Peter discovers his "heritage."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.