TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Best Place in Your Opinion to Get a DirecTivo?

Old 06-06-03, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best Place in Your Opinion to Get a DirecTivo?

I've done my fair share of research, but I'd figure I'd come here because I know a lot of people have this.

I'm looking for a DirecTV receiver and a Tivo in one machine (hence, DirecTivo).

I'm wondering where you all bought yours, and what price you paid?

Since you get both in one, do the channels flip slower than they would on a DirecTV only receiver?

When I go to the store, will the box literally just say "DirecTivo" on it? If it just says Tivo, but has a DirecTV logo on it, is that okay, not as good, or just the same?

Any other info would be great!
Old 06-06-03, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Best Place in Your Opinion to Get a DirecTivo?

Originally posted by PacMan2006
I've done my fair share of research, but I'd figure I'd come here because I know a lot of people have this.

I'm looking for a DirecTV receiver and a Tivo in one machine (hence, DirecTivo).

I'm wondering where you all bought yours, and what price you paid?
I own 2 of them. They are Series 1 units, a Philips DSR6000 and a Sony SAT-T60. The Philips was $99, The Sony was $299 w/ a $200 rebate, making it $99 also.

They are out of production now, having been replaced by Hughes' HDVR2. Philips has released their own version of the HDVR2 design, the DSR7000. Samsung will soon be shipping their own version as well. Either way, they go for about $200 to existing customers, or $150 installed to new subscribers.

Since you get both in one, do the channels flip slower than they would on a DirecTV only receiver?
Channel changes are a bit slower (less than 1 second difference), since it always buffers to the hard drive before displaying the picture. It's not an issue though, because once you own one for a while you stop channel surfing altogether. You have a drive full of stuff you've recorded that you want to see, so "what's on TV now" becomes an outdated way of thinking

When I go to the store, will the box literally just say "DirecTivo" on it? If it just says Tivo, but has a DirecTV logo on it, is that okay, not as good, or just the same?

Any other info would be great!
"DirecTiVo" will not be on the box; that is just an unofficial nickname for it. "Directv Digital Video Recorder powered by TiVo" or something like that is what is printed on the HDVR2 package.

Make sure it says "Directv" and that it has a Hughes or Philips model # . TiVo boxes are orange, while the Hughes is teal and white (I think).

Get ready. Once you use one of these machines, there is no going back to "just watching TV" any more
Old 06-06-03, 11:30 PM
Cool New Member

incase you dont already know of it, here is a GREAT website that can tell you anything about TiVo that you are wondering:

www.tivocommunity.com

great forum for tivo users
Old 06-07-03, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I just received an email saying you can get a DirecTiVo installed for $99 (new customers only).

But, before you sign-up, be sure to read all the fine print. I think they stop just short of asking for a kidney...........

http://dtv.orbitsat.com/promo.asp?QckCoup=02R15066
Old 06-07-03, 12:54 PM

Circuit City has a pretty good price on the HDVR2 and I like buying from them in case you get it home and there's anything wrong with it.

I just got DirecTV in March and I ended up going to CC and replacing both of my free receivers with DirecTivo's.
Old 06-07-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

What if you already have direcTv, but not the tivo part of it. Can I just buy a new direcTivo box, and swap it out with the one I have? What about the "program cards" that are inserted, can I just swap that, too?

I'd love to get on the Tivo bandwagon, as commercials just drive me nuts anymore. Thanks.
Old 06-07-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by TheMadMonk
What if you already have direcTv, but not the tivo part of it. Can I just buy a new direcTivo box, and swap it out with the one I have? What about the "program cards" that are inserted, can I just swap that, too?

I'd love to get on the Tivo bandwagon, as commercials just drive me nuts anymore. Thanks.
There's a great deal running for current customers through the www.directv.com website. You can get a new "DirecTivo" (seems that everyone, including me, has gotten the HDVR2), AND installation - which includes a free multiswitch if you need it! - for $159. Use the coupon code FFDVR when placing the order through the website, or just call. A multiswitch will run you around $50 on its own, so this is really a good deal (you are required to agree to a one-year agreement on your DirecTV service).

Here's the link to the particular thread concerning the deal over at Tivocommunity.com (5 pages of happy customers).

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...0&pagenumber=1
Old 06-07-03, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have Total Choice Stupendous Director's Cut service, so I bypass the DVR fee. Does that apply to a second DVR? My SAT-T60 is upgraded to 139 hours already, and I fully intend to get a HD DirecTiVo when the time comes. Help convince me to get in on this deal. Thanks.

das
Old 06-07-03, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by das Monkey
I have Total Choice Stupendous Director's Cut service, so I bypass the DVR fee. Does that apply to a second DVR? My SAT-T60 is upgraded to 139 hours already, and I fully intend to get a HD DirecTiVo when the time comes. Help convince me to get in on this deal. Thanks.

das
No Tivo fees, just the $4.95/month mirroring fee that you have to pay for any additional receivers, Tivo or otherwise.

Like you, I have a main unit, which I upgraded to ~137 hours. I picked up another unit for my office, which I have connected to my PC, so I can rip stuff to mpg, mainly music videos off VH-1 Classics.

I'm not sure how to convince you to get one...would you be able to use it in a bedroom or office? Then you must get one. How about this? What if your main unit explodes...can you stand being without a unit for a few days? I couldn't. Or...what's going to happen when you need to record over 139 hours of por...er, network television? That second unit will save the day. Look at it this way...these things are holding their value, so if you need to replace it with the HD unit down the road, you can probably recoup (or exceed) your cost on eBay.
Old 06-07-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Quoth Numanoid
can you stand being without a unit for a few days?

Perhaps, but that's a lot of pressure to put on my tongue (rimshot). Thank you, try the veal.

I may have to suck it up and just get it. At $150, it's just too hard to pass up. What kind of multiswitch do you get? Right now, I have the SAT-C upgrade kit on an oval dish, and it only gives 4 outputs by default. I'd need a 5th for my HD receiver. Going back to 35 hours, even on a backup, is going to be painful (I know, it's an increase, but it's still weird).

das
Old 06-08-03, 10:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quoth Numanoid
can you stand being without a unit for a few days?

Perhaps, but that's a lot of pressure to put on my tongue (rimshot). Thank you, try the veal.

I may have to suck it up and just get it. At $150, it's just too hard to pass up. What kind of multiswitch do you get? Right now, I have the SAT-C upgrade kit on an oval dish, and it only gives 4 outputs by default. I'd need a 5th for my HD receiver. Going back to 35 hours, even on a backup, is going to be painful (I know, it's an increase, but it's still weird).

das
Reportedly, they give you whatever multiswitch you need, be it a 3x8, 5x8 or whatever. When you order (or call), just make sure they know your current setup and what kind of multiswitch you will need. From what I've read, they are very accomodating.
Old 06-08-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by djbrown
Reportedly, they give you whatever multiswitch you need, be it a 3x8, 5x8 or whatever. When you order (or call), just make sure they know your current setup and what kind of multiswitch you will need. From what I've read, they are very accomodating.
Agreed. If you read through the thread I posted at Tivocommunity, you'll see that people are getting whatever switches are needed, some are even getting their dishes upgraded. The installers don't mind because they just bill DirecTV for whatever they give you. A great time to not only get a second unit, but any other stuff, including additional jacks installed...for FREE!
Old 06-09-03, 04:13 AM

Could someone explain to a Tivo-novice, what is a "multi switch"? Is it a device which allows you to record one show while watching another?

Is this not standard on all Tivo machines?

Thanks.
- Mike
Old 06-09-03, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Mike,

DirecTV splits up its channels into two different polarizations, left-circular (LHCP) and right-circular (RHCP). This way they can double up on their frequency spectrum. I assume the channels are split roughly half and half. Anyway, when a channel is requested, the LNB has to match polarization. If you only have one LNB, you can only get one channel at a time (or more accurately, one polarization at a time), and when you switch channels, the LNB switches status to accomodate. If you want more than one receiver (different rooms) or DirecTiVo (which acts as two receivers), you have to find a way to get both polarizations at the same time. With two LNBs, you can get all the channels (each LNB picks a polarization), but how do you get all the channels to all the receivers? That's what a multiswitch does.

In a way, it's analogous to a typical coax splitter, but it does more than simply split a coax signal. It takes in multiple inputs and combines those into multiple outputs. The most basic example would be a 2x2 multiswitch. It would take as inputs a LHCP and RHCP from one satellite and output two combined signals for two different rooms. That way you could watch any two different channels at the same time. The more inputs and outputs you have, the more complicated it gets.

I don't know if that makes sense, but essentially a multiswitch is what you use when you have multiple receivers. The DirecTiVo is by nature 2 receivers, and as such, a multiswitch is a necessity. They're not the cheapest things in the world, so getting them for free is a nice addition to this deal.

das

P.S. Damn you, Numanoid ... I'm now a few hundred bucks poorer.
Old 06-09-03, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Since this topic is a bit off it's original intention, I'll ask another money-related DVR question.

Why is the DirecTiVo no more than $200-$250, while the Dish Network DVR with two tuners runs $600?
Old 06-09-03, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

P.S. Damn you, Numanoid ... I'm now a few hundred bucks poorer.
Did I forget to mention the 20% "Finder's Fee"?
Old 06-09-03, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Chew
Since this topic is a bit off it's original intention, I'll ask another money-related DVR question.

Why is the DirecTiVo no more than $200-$250, while the Dish Network DVR with two tuners runs $600?
I see it has a 120g HD and PIP, but that is hardly worth an additional $400.
Old 06-09-03, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Chew

I believe because DirecTivos are subsidized through Tivo. In order to get you into a repeating cycle of providing them with a monthly fee, Tivo is willing to take a loss on the initial hardware.

Dish Network builds their own PVRs, therefore they don't have the infrastructure and R&D teams of Tivo to rely on, so they cost a lot more to produce, and they soak the consumer for every penny.
Old 06-09-03, 10:14 AM

Thanks for the tip about the $159 deal!

I already have DirecTivos in my living room (upgraged to 105 hours) and my bedroom. I had a stand-alone receiver in my basement workout room and it would be so cool to be able to record and watch certain shows down there while I am exercising. The number of shows I watch starts to stack up. An hour show minus commercials is about 44 minutes-- perfect for a workout. This should really help motivate me to workout more and also save me a lot of time I normally just spend on the couch.
Old 06-09-03, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Jadzia
Thanks for the tip about the $159 deal!
Did I forget to mention the 20% "Finder's Fee"?
Old 06-09-03, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Numanoid
I believe because DirecTivos are subsidized through Tivo. In order to get you into a repeating cycle of providing them with a monthly fee, Tivo is willing to take a loss on the initial hardware.

Dish Network builds their own PVRs, therefore they don't have the infrastructure and R&D teams of Tivo to rely on, so they cost a lot more to produce, and they soak the consumer for every penny.
TiVo no longer subsidizes any hardware. The DirecTiVos are cheaper because Directv has seen the churn numbers for DirecTiVo subscribers (0.0 or something close ) and has decided that Tivo keeps the customers happy.

Cheap DirecTiVos, monthly fee cut in half (was $9.99, now $4.99), multiple DirecTiVos covered by a single $4.99 fee - these are all Directv's idea. I pity the poor Dish Network customer who has to remember reboot codes, perform smart card pull resets and endure other indignities just to record some TV shows on Echostar's fee-free, in-house-designed PVR junk. When they're working at all, that is.
Old 06-09-03, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by NC-36
TiVo no longer subsidizes any hardware. The DirecTiVos are cheaper because Directv has seen the churn numbers for DirecTiVo subscribers (0.0 or something close ) and has decided that Tivo keeps the customers happy.
Thanks for the clarification.
Cheap DirecTiVos, monthly fee cut in half (was $9.99, now $4.99), multiple DirecTiVos covered by a single $4.99 fee - these are all Directv's idea. I pity the poor Dish Network customer who has to remember reboot codes, perform smart card pull resets and endure other indignities just to record some TV shows on Echostar's fee-free, in-house-designed PVR junk. When they're working at all, that is.
Tell me about it. I'm a recovering Dish Player user myself. I used to have to flip it on before going to work each day, just to make sure it hadn't crashed overnight. Now, I don't give the Tivo a second thought about leaving it alone for two weeks while I go on vacation. When I return, everything is recorded and ready for me. Life is good.
Old 06-10-03, 11:44 AM

I am fortunate to have a standalone TiVo and Dishplayer. I know the power of TiVo, but appreciate what my Dishplayer can do for me as well. Yes, the Dishplayers have been buggy, but don't blame Dish.. blame Microsoft for making the operating system. It sucks! The dishplayer has one advantage over my TiVo.. the ability to rip recordings without having to buy anything additional (as in the case of a DirecTiVo, you'd need a Turbonet ethernet card). I just pull my Dishplayer's harddrive, hook into my PC, run some software found online, pull off whatever shows I want without loosing quality, encode to my favorite formats and simply burn to DVDR/CDR. If archiving your favorite shows is important than you'll want to preserve them as best as possible - digitally. The DirecTiVo (to my knowledge) can only rip at 480X480 whereas the Dishplayer has a slightly higher resolution of 544X480 with the occassional pay per view event at 640X480. My networked standalone TiVo can do as much as 720X480, but the drawback is a slight degradation in quality as the standalone has to re-encode the stream for storage. The DirecTiVo (like the Dishplayer) does no such thing. The streams are stored verbatim to how they are broadcast. Just some things to keep in mind if you are a serious archiver type person that likes to record their TV shows in the best quality. I don't even use my VCR anymore when a VHS tape costs $1 each and a CDR costs next to nothing with the free-after-rebate deals. Plus the VHS quality is sad in comparision to what you could do with a digtal rip burnt to CDR or DVDR.
Old 06-10-03, 06:10 PM

You might want to check out Expert Satellite: http://www.expertsatellite.com/catalog/defaulttivo.php

I got my DirecTiVo from them for FREE in Dec. 2001 (except for $19.99 shipping via UPS) plus free standard install, with the condition of a 1-year subscription to Total Choice at $31.99/mo. To me, this was a miniscule price to pay for a DirecTiVo system (as I was planning to subscribe to Total Choice anyways). At the time I subscribed, I also got 6 months of HBO and Cinemax free (as long as I agreed to sign up for 1 year).

My system is a Hughes GXCEBOT 35-hour unit. It's obviously not the latest TiVo (they probably don't even sell it anymore), but I LOVE it.

Everything ultimately worked out OK through Expert Satellite, but I had an extremely hard (maddening, even) time getting through to a human on the phone when I had questions about my order (I'm sure the call volume was through the roof because of this deal!). Then there was a mix-up with the installer (they told me one place would be doing it, and it actually ended up being done by another place).

So that's my DirecTiVo story.

-chandler_smythe (who is happily free from the evil clutches of cable)

Last edited by chandler_smythe; 06-10-03 at 06:12 PM.
Old 06-10-03, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I got in on that same deal. Unfortunately, it is loooooonngg gone, as are those units. Furthermore, that was a deal for NEW customers only. Existing customers rarely get special offers, which is what makes the deal I originally posted all the more amazing.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.