Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Spike Lee sues "Spike TV" over use of name... no really...

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Spike Lee sues "Spike TV" over use of name... no really...

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-03, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
However, there is the matter of the use of [any] name.

We had to do some research for a business my wife started, namely the rescuing and placement of dogs from animal shelters. The name she wanted was dangerously close [read: exactly the same] to an established name. It was suggested that, since our situation had no relation to the above-referenced name in type of business, we would be within our rights to use it. (Long story short, we modified the name somewhat.)

But, the point is, unless the name is registered, it’s a gray area. In the Spike/Spike situation, the key here would be the word “entertainment.” A respectable due diligence search should have determined that.

I got 5 bucks says TNN is gonna have to find a new name, or pay Spike. I bet they think a coupla cases of Coors might buy him off.
Old 06-11-03, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lee probably sees this as an oportunity to put the screws to viacom and that maybe as a form of "settlement" they will help him finance a project he wants to do.
Old 06-11-03, 06:23 PM
mwj

but Lee shouldn't be blamed, or mocked, for trying to protect an image that is, in a way, as much one of his creative works as is each of his films.

Well in that case please accept my apology. I thought maybe if mocked this arrogant little creep it might reduce his ego to the point it could be contained by bounds of our solar system. And dare one hope, convince him to stop making his crappy little movies which stopped be interesting about ten+ years ago.
Old 06-13-03, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The fact there are so many characters on TV out there called Spike is proof enough to me that this is a load of crap. The only people who thought about Spike Lee when they saw it were his FRIENDS. The same way I also notice when my girlfriend's name is said on TV or in a mall or something... hey, maybe I can sue too...
Old 06-13-03, 08:30 AM

I have to say, it's pretty strange, Spike Lee thinks "my friends thought of me when they heard of Spike TV". Well, duh! Personally, I only think of "Spike" as Spike Lee. I never here of him as just "Spike".

In any case, a judge currently supports his lawsuit and has ordered a trial with"Spike" posting a half-million bucks to cover possible losses from Viacom.

Articles:
statesman.com
Suntimes.com
NYNewsDay
Old 06-13-03, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
Okay, my real name is Christian.

There HAS to be a way for me to make money off that...
Old 06-13-03, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
And SPIKE gets the edge in Round 1

Lee wins temporary halt to Spike TV

NEW YORK (AP) — Spike Lee has temporarily spiked Spike TV.
A Manhattan judge on Thursday granted Lee's petition and ordered Viacom Inc. to stop using Spike TV as the new name for its TNN network, pending a trial on the issue.

Spike Lee sued Viacom to prevent TNN from becoming Spike TV.
By Markus Schreiber, AP

State Supreme Court Justice Walter Tolub ordered Lee to post a $500,000 bond to cover Viacom's losses in case the company wins.

Viacom announced the name change in April as part of its transformation of TNN into "the first network for men." Spike TV shows reruns of The A-Team, Baywatch and Miami Vice, sports entertainment such as pro wrestling and American Gladiators— plus an animated series featuring Pamela Anderson as the voice of Stan Lee's Stripperella, an undercover operative who is also a stripper.

Lee, whose numerous directing credits include Malcolm X and Do the Right Thing, said he sued Viacom to protect his name from a deliberate attempt to capitalize on his image and prestige.

Viacom's lawyers said Lee cannot prove their network's new name refers to him. And they said no New York law gives a celebrity's first name the protection Lee is seeking without some other suggestion of the person's persona.

But the judge disagreed.

"Contrary to defendants' position, the court is of the opinion that in the age of mass communication, a celebrity can in fact establish a vested right in the use of only their first name or a surname," the judge wrote. "There are many celebrities that are so recognized, including Cher, Madonna, Sting and Liza."

He also said the name protection would probably be available if a network proposed a program called the Cronkite News Hour.

Lee's lawyer, Johnnie Cochran, said, "We're obviously elated. We had a good judge who looked at the law and at the facts."

Dan Martinsen, spokesman for the network, said Viacom would appeal immediately and seek a stay of the judge's order. "We respectfully disagree with the judge's decision, which was not supported by the law or the evidence," Martinsen said.

Viacom, which bought TNN in 2000, also owns the CBS, VH1 and UPN networks, the Showtime movie channel and book publisher Simon & Schuster.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Copyright 2003 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Old 06-13-03, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Old 06-13-03, 10:09 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 583 Likes on 335 Posts
Maybe they should rename it "Spite TV" and program 24/hr Spike Lee bashing interviews with people who hatre him.
Old 06-13-03, 11:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wonder if they called it The Jackass Network would he still think they are stealing his name?
Old 06-13-03, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by ChrisHicks
I wonder if they called it The Jackass Network would he still think they are stealing his name?
Maybe only by his friends?

Spike TV does not sound like Cronkite New Hour to me.
Old 06-13-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe Jack Ass would sue them too: http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/mrjackass1.html
Old 06-13-03, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This moron's gonna lose $500,000.

TNN still has the annoying black bar saying "June 16th: Spike TV!"
Old 06-13-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
TNN still has the annoying black bar saying "June 16th: Spike TV!"
They probably don’t know. They haven’t received mail in at least 6 months. Their mailbox is overgrown by a mailbox-eating plant, and their mailman refuses to deliver.
Old 06-13-03, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Spike TV does not sound like Cronkite New Hour to me.
Because Spike isn't just a name. It's a sharpened point, it's something you do to drinks! Just like Christian is a name, but also a religion. The fact this case has gone so far is unbelivable. It's not even like Spike Lee uses just his first name... it's ALWAYS Spike Lee.
Old 06-13-03, 03:54 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
next this moron is going after the railroads.
Old 06-13-03, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Do a search on Google for "spike" then an image search for "spike"

The results are rather telling.
Old 06-14-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by ClarkKentKY
This moron's gonna lose $500,000.
Every cloud has a silver lining.
Old 06-14-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

NEW YORK (AP) _ An appeals court judge Friday denied a request to let the TNN cable television network change its name to "Spike TV" until a dispute with filmmaker Spike Lee over the use of the name is resolved.

Justice Luis Gonzalez of the State Supreme Court's Appellate Division refused to stay an order issued Thursday by Justice Walter Tolub, but scheduled arguments on Tuesday before a full five-judge panel of the Appellate Division.

Tolub's order banned the network from using the name until the dispute is decided at trial.

TNN spokesman Dan Martinsen said his network would proceed as scheduled with the programming it had planned for Spike TV.

"We are pleased that our arguments will be considered by a full panel of the Appellate Division next Tuesday, and we are sure the court will agree with us," Martinsen said. "Until this matter is resolved, our name will remain TNN."

Viacom Inc., TNN's parent company, announced in April that it would change TNN's name on June 16 to "Spike TV" to try to attract more men to an audience that is already about two-thirds male.

The network shows reruns of "The A-Team," "Baywatch" and "Miami Vice" and sports entertainment such as professional wrestling, "American Gladiators," "Car and Driver Television" and "Trucks!"

The network also carries an animated series featuring Pamela Anderson as the voice of Stan Lee's "Stripperella," an undercover agent who is also a stripper.

Lee sued Viacom Inc., TNN's parent, to block the use of the name "Spike TV." He said people mistakenly thought he was associated with the network and he was trying to protect his name. He said TNN was deliberately trying to mislead the public and capitalize on his image and prestige.

Lee, whose given name is Shelton Jackson Lee, has won an Emmy and has been nominated for an Oscar. His movies include "Malcolm X," "Summer of Sam," "Jungle Fever" and "Do the Right Thing."
Old 06-14-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Originally posted by BizRodian
Do a search on Google for "spike" then an image search for "spike"

The results are rather telling.
Looks like Josh weldon(sp) has a better case of winning this since 70% of the image page is just of his character spike. this case is stupid.
Old 06-14-03, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The first image of Spike Lee is one from some black news site saying he sold out!
Old 06-15-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Or Johnny Knoxville would sue?
Old 06-15-03, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's a new radio station in town called Bob FM. I wonder if Bob Saget will feel like sueing...
Old 06-15-03, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This Just In:

Forgotten Comedian Sinbad is suing Disney over the upcoming Animated Feature Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas. "I was extremely upset to see my name connected with a movie when I had never given my consent to use my name. They didn't even offer me a voice-over part."

"The media description of this movie, as well as comments made to me and my wife, confirmed what was obvious - that Sinbad: Legend of the Seven Seas referred to Sinbad: That guy from A Different World. It's unapologetically male; it's active; and it reminds you Of House Guest.

Last edited by ClarkKentKY; 06-15-03 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-15-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Funny thing is, in my mind, Sinbad would have more of a case since it's not a very popular name! :P

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.